Knife steel chart graph builder upgrades

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gator

Reaction score
Hi All,

Version 3.5 of the steel comparison graph builder went online tonight. There were several new features and fixes during last few days, final version was completed today.
The most complex feature to implement was the hover tooltips, or balloons(if balloons can be rectangles:)), which I hope will make easier and more efficient use of the comparison graphs.
In few words, for both single and multialloy graphs you cam move mouse over element name (C, Cr, W, etc) and it will display tooltip (or a small popup) with short summary of the element effects on in the alloys. More metallurgically inclined users won't really need that feature, but for those who don't remember all that, it might become handy. More detailed and in depth info is still available by clicking the "elements" button.
Also, I'd like to express my sincere gratitude to the anonymous user who submitted that feature request, sadly w/o no return address, if you're reading it, thanks dude! Thanks to all other supporters and critics and participants too.

Another hover works only in multi alloy mode, when you are comparing two or more alloys. Hovering over an element bar group will display tip with color coded steel names and content of a given element in each alloy. Faster and easier to look up individual values. Of course, the table with complete compositions is still below the graph. As for the single alloy mode, there is no point in doing that, composition is in the graph legend already.

As usual, clear the broswer cache to get the latest javascripts scripts css files, or click browser refresh couple times while holding the SHIFT key down.

All the features were successfully tested on latest chrome, firefox 8, IE 9, opera 11, and latest Safari. I physically don't have time to test/support older browsers, sorry. Probably things will work on relatively older stuff, but not on IE 6...

There are search improvements coming up, for both url search and inside the builder. Steel database is constantly updated and now has ~3800 alloy names.

P.S. If you notice any bugs, inconsistencies, or have an idea please contact me.

;) UR welcome.
Happy to hear feedback as always.

Latest posts

Back