Knife storage other than magnet strip

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donhoang14

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just came back from Japan where I bought my first carbons. I visited Tower Knives in Osaka and the owner, Bjor,n was incredible in helping me understand more about sharpening and care.

He said that his shop found that having your knife slammed against a strong magnet repeatedly on the same part of the blade causes damage on a micro level. Makes a lot of sense. So unless you can use weaker magnets that your whole blade can rest on, don't use a standard magnet strip.

I don't have a lot of counter and kitchen space at home but he recommended storing my knives between an old phone book or between newspaper print due to the carbon that's in the ink. Can someone else tell me how they store their knives in their home? Right now I'm only keeping them in the boxes I bought them in. Ideally I would like for their beauty to be shown and not just tucked away between paper.

Thanks!

I don't have a lot of counter and kitchen space at home but he recommended storing my knives between an old phone book or between newspaper print due to the carbon that's in the ink.

That.... sounds a bit hinky to me. And sure I wouldn't want any rubbed-off ink in my food.

Can someone else tell me how they store their knives in their home? Right now I'm only keeping them in the boxes I bought them in. Ideally I would like for their beauty to be shown and not just tucked away between paper.

Well, a magnet strip is the usual way to show off knives. I think you can avoid chipping if there is a wood covering between the blade and the magnet. It's the exposed metal magnet strips that could be dangerous. A wood-covered magnet strip should be safe unless you're really slamming the knives onto it.

FWIW, I store my knives in a wide drawer under the kitchen island, using two wooden knife drawer organizers side by side. That's enough capacity to keep my Japanese knives, my wife's Japanese knives, and a couple of "guest knives" for regular use. They're not on display because I don't care about that. Keeping them hidden also reduces the risk of a house guest grabbing a knife before I've introduced the idea of "guest knives vs. my knives and DO NOT TOUCH". ;)

I doubt so many people here would use magnetic strips if they were constantly chipping their edges. Personally I use a block.

It's weird but I've done it, what about an ultimate edge bag? Or equivalent. It keeps all your tools nice and neatly packed away in a tight protective case and when you pull it out takes up very little space, I rented a basement when I first moved to Calgary and found the system very convient.

I have been using a wooden mag strip for years. The spine goes on first, the the blade face rotated on. How can this be worse than the this sharp edge hitting a cutting board.

I would like to see real data from someone who is not trying to take money.

On my side, I have glued on the steel magnetic bars a sheet of strong tissu used for welding protection. It cannot damage the blade. The weak point if that the magnetic force is reduced.

I will probably build something like the wooden piece and I will nail it to the wall.

I've got an upright version of this.
I really found that getting a knife block that suits your need, if you don't have the average Joe's knife set that is, can be surprisingly hard to find and expensive.
This solution currently holds 19 knives, can maybe cram in one or two more
eva-solo-knivblok.jpg

I've also got one of these glued onto the side of it to hold my two cleavers
HTB1avBie1uSBuNjSsziq6zq8pXa5.jpg

In my old house, I had a metal magnetic knife rack. I found that if you are careful with how you put your knife on the rack, there is no issue. I used to place the tip of the knife onto the wall above the rack and ease the handle towards the wall so the knife does not slap onto the rack all at once. Its kind of like a rock chop on the wall, but with the blade parallel to the wall. Sounds more complicated than it is, and it really doesn't take any longer than just slapping the knife onto the rack.
In my new house I have a drawer with a magnetic lock to keep things safe from the children and its lined with the kind of liner mechanics use in their tool chests. I will soon be putting a false drawer in to keep my knives separate from the wife's. I'll post pics when I get round to it.

I've settled on using a Knife Dock in a drawer, which is extremely gentle on knives as the edges aren't even really touching anything. I actually modified it by cutting out the wooden dowel that holds the cork strips together, so that the edges don't come into contact with it.

I know it’s an old thread, but these kind of knife stands are the best I’ve seen (for my purpose at least, i.e. a home cook who probably focuses on looks more than function), so wanted to share. In particular, the one on the right of the photo has slots along both the front and back for cleavers. I got this
off a merchant on Etsy. Love it a ton.

IMG_5522.jpg

If you have the bench space, I agree, a knife block is a good solution.

Not sure about three knife blocks—they make a statement about the owner as much as the knives ;)

I really found that getting a knife block that suits your need, if you don't have the average Joe's knife set that is, can be surprisingly hard to find and expensive.
I agree, it can take a fair bit of searching and a fair bit of money to find a knife block that suits. And a knife block is inflexible. Change something in the collection and find that, suddenly, a slot is too narrow and you have to evict something else.
This solution currently holds 19 knives, can maybe cram in one or two more
That's a nice option because it is so flexible. I've also seen a version of this that uses plastic straws/rods that the knives slide in between. I'm no fan of the plastic/steel look of those blocks. But someone with woodworking skills could probably make a nice wooden box and then fill it with plastic rods or straws, or find a sheet of soft PVC and fold it into layers and slide that into the box, like for the block you showed.

Only caveat: you probably would need to put something heavy into the base (steel, lead, or similar), otherwise the block will probably become very top-heavy once it's full of knives.

The drawer liner storage racks from wustoff. Low cost and very effective,

Drawer-Storage-8000_2_1d8ee231-ac38-41e1-ba02-37cad226abee.jpg

The drawer liner storage racks from wustoff. Low cost and very effective,

I use a couple of the Henckels drawer racks. Cheaper and I think the design is a little better. Can hold 4 large knives instead of only 3.
One can buy for $16 at Bed Bath & Beyond with the 20% coupon.

j-a-henckels-8-slot-in-drawer-knife-organizer-12_78d968eb-c3fd-4138-9079-98dc5c7d5455_x700.gif

Back