Knife Storage Recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've just moved to a new place, and I still need to make some kind of pretty magnetic knife rack for the wall, but have discovered a pretty good interim solution... My wife had bought a kinda large cabinet at auction which is at one end of our kitchen (actually right next to the work surfaces), and I just found these green things in one of the drawers. Holds pretty much all of the knives we use regularly.

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

I use both a custom made birds eye maple knife block and a magnetic wood wall mount
I'm glad I wasn't there to cook for you yesterday ... because if I had been, you wouldn't have got anything to eat yet, I'd still be trying to figure out which knife to use. 🤣

I'm glad I wasn't there to cook for you yesterday ... because if I had been, you wouldn't have got anything to eat yet, I'd still be trying to figure out which knife to use. 🤣
Here's the first 3 I'd try. Might help you? 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• Knife Block~2.jpg
    Knife Block~2.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 41
Home cook here. I only keep a small number of knives in the kitchen drawer, just the ones currently in use, only 2 or three are out by the cutting board during any given prep—usually petty & gyuto; petty & suji; last night was petty, gyuto, mune wa butcher. Don't like knife blocks or magnetic racks—at least in the kitchen I have now, just no room for them.

Rest of knives live in the bedroom flat files.

CB731828-453F-4443-9E78-201F3E5F7AFE.jpeg

However, my cousin went all out building a knife case for his home. He collects Brazilian bbq knives.
119652580_331097968312095_8525298448131821878_n.jpg

Last edited:
Home cook here. I only keep a small number of knives in the kitchen drawer, just the ones currently in use, only 2 or three are out by the cutting board during any given prep—usually petty & gyuto; petty & suji; last night was petty, gyuto, mune wa butcher. Don't like knife blocks or magnetic racks—at least in the kitchen I have now, just no room for them.

Rest of knives live in the bedroom flat files.

View attachment 111482

However, my cousin went all out building a knife case for his home. He collects Brazilian bbq knives.
View attachment 111483

Your cousin has very impressive crafting ability at such a young age.

Why do you keep them upside down? It looks off...

Never could do that, never could understand...

Also so much easier to grab them if they are facing up, again three dots ...

They hold better on the magnets when they are leaned against the handle. Extra security.

this is the one i'm going to be getting.. its china made and apparently not available on many platforms however.. 1x 115mm, 2x98mm, 2x54mm, 2x35mm, 1 steel slot and 1 scissors slot.. its about 240mm tall, pretty much allows me to have all the knives i use regularly out in the kitchen counter..
1 cleaver, 1chef knife, 1 nakiri, 1 bunka, 1 slicer, 1 paring and 1 petty sounds about right? haha
Screenshot (131).png

These are some great options! I'm currently stuck with one general use 8" chef knife in a drawer with a knife guard. This is the beater that my wife and guests use and the one I find myself sharpening the most because of the use and the typical German steel. My J-knives stay in our pantry in a knife roll but I would like to look for a better option.

They hold better on the magnets when they are leaned against the handle. Extra security.

@krx927
Also a safe way to avoid any residual water getting in the handle if the tang is not ss and if the handle / tang is not properly sealed.

A lot of "if" 😅 the this scenario is my nightmare.

Back