Knife unknowns

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tag302

Reaction score
Hello, newbie here!
I purchased this knife a few months ago in VERY rough condition. There were chips in the edge and the tang was rusted away.
I welded a new tang and made a new handle (yes, I realize the handle is a bit short).
Would anyone know any more info about this knife? I had a friend of a friend tell me that the stamp says “Yasugi steel” and the handwriting says “master *something. *” I have looked up some stuff on Yasugi steel and I see than there are various different grades. Is there any way to determine the grade by looking at it?
It also seems like this knife has some sort of layering or cladding based upon the different colors at the edge.
I am still new to sharpening but I do have a 1000/6000 combo stone which I can get an adequate edge with. Plus a really coarse combo stone for reshaping. The knife will take a pretty good edge, but after a few vegetables it completely loses it. I tried to dice a tomato and it could not make it through the skin.
Thank you, Tag
97DDE046-64FB-4C06-AF99-B261EAAF2521.jpeg
FFBFAB29-3C3A-441C-8C6C-0C3ED65FB0A8.jpeg
4C93A875-C30F-4DEA-9C93-E53984E16C22.jpeg

A native speaker might be able to figure that out based on stoke order, but I'm at a loss.

When a knife says 'Yasugi steel' without specifying the type, it's almost always yellow steel.

A native speaker might be able to figure that out based on stoke order, but I'm at a loss.

When a knife says 'Yasugi steel' without specifying the type, it's almost always yellow steel.

Ah, makes sense about the yellow steel. Darn. Oh well, I’ll try some different sharpening techniques to see if I can keep the edge from rolling.

Quite a cool looking nakiri, and I do like your handle :)

I recently had a couple of knives that quickly lost a sharp edge after a bit of use, and a few members here reminded me of the importance of proper de-burring, so that might be something to look at?

With regards ID - if you don't get an answer here maybe try posting in the 'Kitchen Knife Knowledge' forum. There are a few people who have answered questions of mine very quickly, and from considerably worse pictures than what you've provided.

Yes! I just read a thread about that! I will definitely incorporate that into my next sharpening.
also, via another thread I realized how awful my bamboo boards are. Those got put away today.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back