Knife vendors Australia

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexec

Reaction score
Quick asking, any decent knife retailers in Australia ?

I had a great experience buying a knife from KnivesandStones. I think Chef's Armoury is another Australian retailer, but I have never purchased anything from them, maybe someone else can give a review.

i'm betting everyone will mention KnS. One of the best, australia or not.

Chef’s Armoury are good to deal with. Very prompt and professional customer service, too.

Ditto re: Chefs Armoiry and KNS.

It depends what line of knives you’re interested in.

I’m yet to hear where someone would send a Japanese knife off for sharpening if they weren’t confident to DIY. We don’t have a Jon from JKI in Australia to fix our sharpening mistakes as far as I’m aware... although chefs armoury do have a sharpening service I’m yet to try it.

I had a good experience with BladeRunner recently. Great customer service.

Chef knives pro I got a blade into the UK pretty fast from them, easy to deal with.

We don’t have a Jon from JKI in Australia to fix our sharpening mistakes as far as I’m aware... although chefs armoury do have a sharpening service I’m yet to try it.
Leigh did a sharpening video. It certainly looks like he knows what he's doing:

I have good experience with James and Pro Tooling.

<<< I’m yet to hear where someone would send a Japanese knife off for sharpening if they weren’t confident to DIY. We don’t have a Jon from JKI in Australia to fix our sharpening mistakes as far as I’m aware... although chefs armoury do have a sharpening service I’m yet to try it.
Big +1 for James at Knives and Stones! Not only range, price and knowledge - he's a gentleman and a great person to deal with.

A caution on knife sharpening... Although Leigh Hudson (owner) of Chef's Armoury is a very good sharpener, the same cannot be said of all his staff. I have read at least one horror story here about seriously poor sharpening results. I do not speak from experience - just recall KKF posts on the subject. Caveat emptor!

I have also bought direct from Watanabe and Takeda with very good results. Japan is a lot closer to Australia than Canada so that would be a good alternative for you if you like their knives. I do.

I have also bought direct from Watanabe and Takeda with very good results. Japan is a lot closer to Australia than Canada so that would be a good alternative for you if you like their knives. I do.

Depends where in Canada and Au. For example, Vancouver is a little closer to Sanjo than Sydney is.

The service at KnS has always been excellent. James gives straightforward knife nerd level advice, without spin. KnS is a forum vendor and they have some very nice knives to offer. I have bought lots of knives at KnS, for good reason.

I bought one knife from Chefs Armoury (the Melbourne shop, FWIW) fairly early in my knife nut career. It wasn't a bad customer experience although in retrospect, there was a fair bit of 'mystique of knives' marketing injected into the interaction. Maybe that's just because it was a bricks & mortar shop and the interaction was face to face.

There was shop called Saito Knives in northern NSW. Run by a Japanese guy who was a sushi chef IIRC. I have no experience with them though.

Last edited:
Saito is cool - and an amazing sharpener/grinder. Also So Yamashita at Japan Tool has had some great stuff - and can arrange orders from Heiji. But I think he has slowed down a bit and may not be taking orders at the moment.

Highly recommend Knives and Stones.
I've had a few bad experiences with Chefsarmoury, even though I bought my first knives from them back when I just got into Japanese knife.

Big +1 for James at Knives and Stones! Not only range, price and knowledge - he's a gentleman and a great person to deal with.

A caution on knife sharpening... Although Leigh Hudson (owner) of Chef's Armoury is a very good sharpener, the same cannot be said of all his staff. I have read at least one horror story here about seriously poor sharpening results. I do not speak from experience - just recall KKF posts on the subject. Caveat emptor!
I saw one sharpening job from them and it was over grind, possibly from his staff like you said.

Chefs Armoury aren't too bad (apart from the hard sell), I bought some Kurosaki R2 knives there and they were well priced and good service. Also, Tanto knives Melboune (6 Portland Ln) offer an excellent sharpening service and have a small selection of nice knives.

Also, japan-tool.

K&S all day, every day. Watched in horror as some barely trained hack at Chefs Armoury brutalised a mate’s Shigefusa then get cute and deny it. It’s one thing to make a mistake but to be dishonest about it is another. Went dark when I confronted them about it and banned me on social media

Back