Knife vs Induction Cooker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

JayGee

Reaction score
It's pretty much the same as a mustard etch.

Bensbites

Reaction score
How hot did it get? I would assume you ruined the temper? Maybe?

JayGee

Reaction score
How hot did it get? I would assume you ruined the temper? Maybe?
I actually don't know - my GF did this - but I imagine it was left on for a while. Any ideas on how to tell whether it is cooked or not?

lemeneid

Wasabi wabi sabi
Reaction score
Pretty sure that knife is wrecked. My cast iron can get to 300C on an induction in 2 mins. Anything above 120C will start to affect HT.

RonB

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not even close to an expert, but couldn't it be re-heat treated? Ya might lose a couple mm in height, but the right person should be able to handle it, (pun not intended).

Bensbites

Reaction score
I'm not even close to an expert, but couldn't it be re-heat treated? Ya might lose a couple mm in height, but the right person should be able to handle it, (pun not intended).
In theory. The edge is likely to turn wavy, then regrind. You would loose height and geometry.

Corradobrit1

Reaction score
I say, just clean it up and use it. I'd be interested to hear your observations on what affect the induction had on the knife—whether better or worse. Don't write it off yet.
Personally, looks pretty cool. #wabisabi
Yes, looks like the patina is permanently fused to the knife at the molecular level 🤪

DitmasPork

Reaction score
Yes, looks like the patina is permanently fused to the knife at the molecular level 🤪
When I first got into J-knives about a decade ago, I watched with fascination a Mark Richmond video on doing a mustard patina. @JayGee would get many views, with an instructional video on DIY 'induction patina'!

DitmasPork

Reaction score
It’s a cool thing. It’s way way cheaper to run than a propane forge.
I know little about making knives—buy seems like an induction forge would be a major space saver, also potentially a much smaller carbon footprint than a traditional forge. Green knives!

Corradobrit1

Reaction score
Temp control must be a bear to control in an induction coil. Hotspots and such. There has to be good reasons why its not widely used.

Bensbites

Reaction score
Temp control must be a bear to control in an induction coil. Hotspots and such. There has to be good reasons why its not widely used.
The startup cost is way way higher. Forges have hot spots too

Nemo

Staff member
Global Moderators
Reaction score
If it is over-tempered, it might be pretty tough.

KK western meat cleaver?

Actually, maybe that's a bad idea...

orangehero

Reaction score
I wonder if you can use the induction cooker to get it to Austenitization temp and just harden and temper it yourself.

JayGee

Reaction score
First step clean and sharpen - then I'll report back. But the KU has definitely changed in some parts, while being completely removed in others. On the non-pictured side of the knife there is a circle of perfectly removed KU precisely where the knife sat over the induction coil.

RDalman

Seniör Member
Reaction score
First step clean and sharpen - then I'll report back. But the KU has definitely changed in some parts, while being completely removed in others. On the non-pictured side of the knife there is a circle of perfectly removed KU precisely where the knife sat over the induction coil.
On your pic it looks way past blue in the circle. So it's been in a bad place temp wise, like tempered above 350c. It will probably be very soft.

JayGee

Reaction score
Good thing I've got a Dalman cleaver to replace the rectangular whole in my heart!

Latest posts