Knifemaker in Baltimore, MD

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Matt,
I definitely can understand that, a Rockwell tester is definitely on my shopping list, I just have to wait until I have $3-5k lying around for a quality tester, and when I don't have other pressing pieces of machinery to buy or fix first.
I do ensure my blades are all hard through file and spark testing, and following heat treating guidelines. In the case that a knife would not be to your liking, from the hardness or otherwise, I'm always happy to fully refund a customer.

I used to manage a machine shop. We never had a Rockwell tester because it was much easier just to get a certification from the heat treater. Or I could take things over there and have them run it through their tester for a small fee. Owning measuring equipment that requires regular calibration and certification might not make sense, especially if you can locate someone who has one for hire.

I used to manage a machine shop. We never had a Rockwell tester because it was much easier just to get a certification from the heat treater. Or I could take things over there and have them run it through their tester for a small fee. Owning measuring equipment that requires regular calibration and certification might not make sense, especially if you can locate someone who has one for hire.
Yes, this is something that was in the back of my mind. My concern with having this is vibrations from powerhammer forging would mess with the calibration. Though these fears could be unfounded, I'll continue research on it.

Hey Bill,
Right now, I’m really enjoying working with 26c3. It forges really nicely and the alloy banding is insane!

I have a question about this. First, if the core steel has banding, does that mean it has very large grain size which is not desirable? Other makers use cladding that gets banding. Second, is the banding even visible after use? Doesn’t it get a dark patina that hides this?

My carbons are stainless clad and I have nothing with banding.

Latest posts

Back