Knives featured on the tv show Bear

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torbaci

Reaction score
Hey folks,
so this show came out recently, and its a fiction story about this fine dining veteran chef taking over his brothers humble dinner.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14452776/
show is dramatization of kitchen life and work, and one of the better illustrations of kitchen ********, they obviously made their research.

Well, since its about kitchens, it features plenty of knives, 1 character uses a mac pro with dimples, and main dude has this bad boy,

im wondering, anyone can tell what it is, it looks mean, just curious what they picked.

cheers.

Attachments

• whata.png
    whata.png
    627.2 KB · Views: 5
  • knife1.png
    knife1.png
    666.4 KB · Views: 0
aah thanks.

i remember looking at that knife and i thought it was out of stock.....it looks damn fine on the tv show....

bye bye my monies i quess

Hey folks,
so this show came out recently, and its a fiction story about this fine dining veteran chef taking over his brothers humble dinner.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14452776/
show is dramatization of kitchen life and work, and one of the better illustrations of kitchen ********, they obviously made their research.

Well, since its about kitchens, it features plenty of knives, 1 character uses a mac pro with dimples, and main dude has this bad boy,

im wondering, anyone can tell what it is, it looks mean, just curious what they picked.

cheers.
I've been binge watching it, a little gritty but it's really not a bad show.

Just finished watching it. It's quite good. I hope they can develop the characters better in the second season. For the kitchen, it's the best I've seen in some time and likely the best ever on TV.

it is excellent, at the least. but i have the sense that the first season is lightning in a bottle. and very concluded (if admittedly a clunky albeit well planned conclusion). i’d love them to prove me wrong though.

everything we did for the show was wa-handled I believe. There were a few other things featured that weren't from us... i think I saw a MAC in there... might have been that one
Yep, there definitely was a Mac in there! There was also a Western gyuto with dimples but I am unsure whether that was the Mac or not…

Definitely MAC:

44844227xr.jpeg

44844228td.jpeg

44844229rk.jpeg

44844230er.jpeg

I am wondering, if she’s using the dimpled version with bolster, then apparently it is only 200mm… There is no longer gyuto with dimples and bolster.

i have no comments on the article, but i guess the impact a variety piece has can only be underestimated.

let’s hope it drives the price of reptile knife thingies through the roof while leaving yoshimi echizen (et al., etc.) still somewhat attainable.

Don't know why it's annoying me so much but they need to fire their copyeditor or something.

They mentioned JKI twice and somehow misspelled them both times.

Their linked $2000+ knife is actually the $325 Yoshimi Echizen from JKI. Did they claim it was a $2000+ knife on the show?

Super minor but pakkawood should not have been capitalized. There's probably more errors but I don't really feel like reading it again.

Screenshot_20230724-031114~2.png

That says a lot about the quality of journalism.

… in the best case, it says something summer temp replacements.

but regardless, the piece seems under-researched and pretty much unedited.

on the other hand, the article actually exists – someone cared enough about the topic, which is … interesting in itself.

and i'm pretty sure it drives significant amounts of new customers towards JKI.

The Bear is the best thing on TV, and I say that as a former TV reviewer who wrote about the final seasons of Man Men and Breaking Bad.
What I love about this show is that there's no "big bad." We're rooting for everyone and the "enemy" is just the difficulty of doing something really well and the expectations attached to that.

As for the knives, producer Coco Storer is a chef as is Matty Matheson, so they were not chosen by accident.
FWIW, Carmy wears $95 white loopwheel cotton t-shirts sourced from Germany. So the producers sweat the details.

https://nymag.com/strategist/article/white-t-shirts-from-tv-show-the-bear.html
I've got a similar Yoshimi Kato AO Super in 210 with a rosewood wa handle. Great knife.

Back