Knives spotted in the wild: celebrity chef edition

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of the great joys of this obsession is spotting knives in the wild. And what's more fun than judging celebrity chefs for their knife selections? Here's a few knife safari shots from my YouTube cooking video rabbit hole today. Good on Matty Matheson for the misono dragon suji, but his gyuto game needs work. JW seems to be doing alright with the tojiro bread and kono.

MATTYMATHESON-MISONO-DRAGON.png

Matty Matheson, Misono dragon suji

MATTYMATHESON-NEHONI-NENOX-2.png

Matty Matheson, Nehoni nenox gyuto

JOSHUA-WEISSMAN-TOJIRO-BREAD.png

Joshua Weissman, tojiro ITK bread

JOSHUA-WEISSMAN-KONO-YSM.png

Joshua Weissman, konosuke YS-M

I open the floor to my fellow KKF open source knife intelligence analysts for more rare sightings in the wild.

Kanji Lopez-Aalto has a large collection of not particularly interesting knives (to me anyway). It feels odd that he’d choose to collect a pile of fairly mainstream knives, like say collecting sweaters from Macy’s or something.

These Are My Knives | The Food Lab

Cynic me says the whole point of the average knives listed is to have the affiliate links and generate revenue.

Not a chef, but here's Alton rocking some Cut Brooklyn and Carter knives.

AB is a little bit of a knife shill. Remember when he was hawking “Shun - Alton’s Angle” knives with that wacked angle where handle meets blade?

I think it was because AB is so tall ((6’ 4” ???))

I bought an AB sheepsfoot paring knife after using one. I’m not 6’4” so I do mot need the additional angle, bit the additional knuckle clearance when cutting limes etc is great

Attachments

• 82197B14-AAF9-4A86-BA8D-FBFBA80273D5.jpeg
    82197B14-AAF9-4A86-BA8D-FBFBA80273D5.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 17
  • C84D79AA-300C-4327-B394-951B613082F2.jpeg
    C84D79AA-300C-4327-B394-951B613082F2.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 17
Kanji Lopez-Aalto has a large collection of not particularly interesting knives (to me anyway). It feels odd that he’d choose to collect a pile of fairly mainstream knives, like say collecting sweaters from Macy’s or something.

These Are My Knives | The Food Lab
14” ODC Wusthoff valued at $800? 🤔🤔🤔

One of the great joys of this obsession is spotting knives in the wild. And what's more fun than judging celebrity chefs for their knife selections? Here's a few knife safari shots from my YouTube cooking video rabbit hole today. Good on Matty Matheson for the misono dragon suji, but his gyuto game needs work. JW seems to be doing alright with the tojiro bread and kono.

MATTYMATHESON-MISONO-DRAGON.png

Matty Matheson, Misono dragon suji

MATTYMATHESON-NEHONI-NENOX-2.png

Matty Matheson, Nehoni nenox gyuto

JOSHUA-WEISSMAN-TOJIRO-BREAD.png

Joshua Weissman, tojiro ITK bread

JOSHUA-WEISSMAN-KONO-YSM.png

Joshua Weissman, konosuke YS-M

I open the floor to my fellow KKF open source knife intelligence analysts for more rare sightings in the wild.
How do you tell the difference between a konosuke YS-M and a Masakage Koishi? I never can.

I wonder if Alton wants to buy my collection of Cut Brooklyns. 😁

How do you tell the difference between a konosuke YS-M and a Masakage Koishi? I never can.

I wonder if Alton wants to buy my collection of Cut Brooklyns. 😁
That’s the original YS from old batches. The ones selling on the market right now is the YS-M(midnight), Darker finish

Action Bronson I know has done gift guides recommending Suisin Inox

I have long suspected that Claire Saffitz's knives are Takamura R2s, could also be an OEM equivalent (I know hitohira does these too)
1650479866422.png

Dominique Ansel seems to use Dexters:
1650480213448.png

Cynic me says the whole point of the average knives listed is to have the affiliate links and generate revenue.
This would be one of the least atrocious things about him.

LOL, he did, but on an older iteration, supposedly they have got worse (but whatever the deal "Holy Grail" is probably a bit strong. 😂. I avoided bringing Misen up for personal reasons. :D

What steel is the “Holy Grail” made of? perhaps that could be smithed into a blade 😎

- Kramer made a meteorite knife for A. Bordain.

What steel is the “Holy Grail” made of? perhaps that could be smithed into a blade 😎

- Kramer made a meteorite knife for A. Bordain.

Pretty sure the misen is AUS10 or equivalent. So not bad material by any stretch. But i tried one at a friend's house a few years ago and the grind is pretty blah IIRC. Still much better than your average costco henckels set but definitely not the holy grail.

Back