Knives that make you go WHOA from the first cut!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kei kobayashi 210 gyuto as it was my first laser.

Yoshi skd 240 nashiji gyuto still wow me everytime, although I don’t use it much often.

Watanabe 240 stainless clad

In chronological order:

Kashima Sanjo Gyuto 21cm.
One of the first I bought at Cleancut. Almost never uses it but get always surprised how sharp it is...

Wakui Sujihiki 240mm.
Shockingly sharp, didn't feel a thing. ;)

Heiji Ikasaki 150mm semi-stainless.
It has a dry feeling cutting with it.

Jiro Tsuchime Tagayasan 225mm Gyuto #254.
Was absolutely stunned by F&F and weight and I prefer small knives! :)

Björn Birgersson # 114, 218mm Gyuto Western.
My newest Birgersson! Love the finish also!

TF Denka ootb was the most whoa double bevel Ive tried. Takeda bunka was quite whoa as well, for different reasons.

Most recent and strongest whoa was a Togashi 300mm yanagiba in white #1. Single bevels are a different game in terms of cutting feel. Secondary whoa was the tremendous blood-to-pain ratio when you nick yourself. You don’t feel it but man does it bleed.

There's no whoa moment to be had when about one of your first non-cheap-factory J-knife is a Moritaka...

Maz Nakiri was a whoa moment when I went to dice onions with it.

Yu Kurosaki AS was a whoa moment that endured about ten cuts. The sucky beveling and brittle feeling edge didn't please me by then.

Ittetsu was not a bad moment, from where I was.

But it took me spending more money to really meet some whoa moments:

Takada Reika Gyuto
Yoshikane Santoku
First Mabs - in handling
Shi.Han

Shi.Han and a second Mabs are still with me.

Recently, Wakui B#2 iron clad had me completely thrilled like the noob I once was, which is a feeling I had almost forgotten about.

Gratifyingly pretty much all my recent purchases (Jiro, FM, Myojin) have made me do the full whoa lately, but admittedly I’ve made some nice, if obvious upgrades.,

I’ve actually been fairly glacial in my knife collecting until recently - I think I’ve bought as many knives in the last year as I did in the previous decade ‘thanks’ to KKF - and what was a patient pattern of gradual upgrades has generally kept some kind of ‘wow‘ factor intact for every new knife bar a couple of underwhelming Takefu missteps. But I‘ll admit that the first defining J-Knife ‘whoa’ moments for me were fairly stereotypical - a TF Mab, which opened eyes with its ridiculous ease of sharpening and brutal edge, plus the quintessential ’wow’ when I first clapped hands around a Kono HD and had my first real laser experience.

Reactions: JDC
Anryu nakiri (my first proper J-knife)
Yoshi SKD
Kippington workpony and laser
And just this weekend, my new CCK1303

Honorable mentions go to Toyama and Prendergast, which were less 'whoa' in terms of absolute performance and more from the standpoint of great performance and cutting feel relative to their heft/workhorse-y-ness.

Most recently, my Steeleworks CuMai chef. So razor sharp ootb I had to slow down coring bell peppers so that I didn’t slip and cut my finger.

690B8DEF-F82A-4E39-9200-488834110856.jpeg
E2B7ECBA-10FA-4121-89C3-8022FFC4AC07.jpeg

First cuts Watanabe 270 ironclad
Steel Lundberg's TWR Böhler
OOTB edge Kisuke Manaka Blue1 custom.

Takamura R2 (the red-handled ones) - coming from western knives and then Miyabi/Yaxell/Tojiro, it was a whoa moment for me of how much sharper knives could be, and then down the rabbit hole I went...

Tojiro DP 240 gyuto.
Matsubara W1 210 mm Gyuto
Wakui B2 210 mm Gyuto
Suisin High Carbon 240 gyuto.

The tojiro mostly because it was my first descent knife.
The Suisin I've only had for a week now. It was really blunt when I got it. But a good sharpening from a pro just made it so nice.

Takamura R2 (the red-handled ones) - coming from western knives and then Miyabi/Yaxell/Tojiro, it was a whoa moment for me of how much sharper knives could be, and then down the rabbit hole I went...
Yeah I have to give them some credit there. The edge angle is ridiculous, and I actually put a microbevel on it straight away at the advice of others, but especially at the price point it really sets an incredibly high bar for out of the box sharpness that many other knives can only hope to achieve. Mine would split atoms just by pointing in their direction...

JMS in Germany also has some aogami Wakui.

Wakui Warikomi Hocho
They have some other lines too, both in V2 and in Shirogami that tend to be a bit cheaper.

That B2 Wakui looks awesome. How I missed these in the past, I'll never know.

My Wakui Hairline is probably my all time favourite knife. Except for the steel. Still definite whoa when first used it.
Mine weighs something around 208g. So it's a bit more robust than some of his other from the hairline series, but soooo thin behind the edge. Just a perfect knife for me. Profile, grind, weight, F&F all perfect.
But just not the biggest fan of W2. I love B2 though.
Too bad these days I want SS clad knives mostly, so actually a bit bummed I have to pass on those beauties.

My first Whoa was way back with a S Tanaka B2 dammy nakiri. I think I paid something like 35$ for it. Still have it. Still love it.

Last edited:
Back