Knives to buy at/under 830$

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, I finally understand what feedback means! So it just means whether the stuff being cut reacts to the knife digging into it or not?

Ah, I finally understand what feedback means! So it just means whether the stuff being cut reacts to the knife digging into it or not?

Ow! Not me! Stop!

I think it usually means the sensations you get in your hand when cutting. Can you tell what kind of product you’re cutting with your eyes closed? Can you feel the contact with the cutting board? Does it feel crisp, or dead? Etc...

Honestly speaking, it doesn't take much to get the crowd excited here. I don't even begin to get excited until at least 10 people that have tried a lot of knives have lathered praise on a knife, and even then, I only get a little bit excited. You really have to read a lot and compare a lot to see why people really like something. The moment where the only thing people can talk about is the hype (talking about you, Masamoto KS), that's when you know you've got to be careful.

for the heiji it's not that there's more resistance than the denka that means it has better feed back to me (steel wise). . . it's that i can have the most minute input that i've felt and have the knife respond in the cut. whereas the denka is unresponsive to that same minute input, but then rockets through produce after just a bit more of a nudge. honestly i guess we might be talking grams here, given me measuring how much force i push down on with a gram scale.

Honestly speaking, it doesn't take much to get the crowd excited here. I don't even begin to get excited until at least 10 people that have tried a lot of knives have lathered praise on a knife, and even then, I only get a little bit excited. You really have to read a lot and compare a lot to see why people really like something. The moment where the only thing people can talk about is the hype (talking about you, Masamoto KS), that's when you know you've got to be careful.
i could care less if people praise a knife or not, that's not what i look for. if anything, if too many people praise it, there's a good chance i wont be impressed with it.

i could care less if people praise a knife or not, that's not what i look for. if anything, if too many people praise it, there's a good chance i wont be impressed with it.

I care a lot because I don't have the time and energy to try 100 different knives and sell them if I don't like them. When I buy a knife, it's for life. The only way to bridge to gap and make fewer mistakes is to do extensive research, accumulate experience, and then keep doing extensive research (as well as going to knife shops to poke around). So, when 10 people say it's good, there's a chance it's good.

Well hardly anyone is praising Jiro that’s for sure. Last time I checked the poll on another thread had 21% vote valuing the knife at $250 lol

The first impressions thread has some nice detail shots of the knife. People can judge for themselves but it looks like the kind of thing I’d like to try.

Well hardly anyone is praising Jiro that’s for sure. Last time I checked the poll on another thread had 21% vote valuing the knife at $250 lol

The first impressions thread has some nice detail shots of the knife. People can judge for themselves but it looks like the kind of thing I’d like to try.
Me too

I recently stepped up from getting knives in the $200-400 range to the $400-600 range, with a few slightly higher. I’m not much of a collector, but I do like to try new things especially when other enthusiasts are excited about them — what if this one is just a few percentage points better?!?!

So it turns out I’m actually less inclined to buy more of the more expensive knives these days, because will it really cut better than a Raquin/Tilman/etc.? How much better?

That said, if I were spending another $830 on a knife today I’d probably be looking for a Dalman, followed by a Prendergast (with budget to spare) or Catcheside FG, in something like 1.2562.

I recently stepped up from getting knives in the $200-400 range to the $400-600 range, with a few slightly higher. I’m not much of a collector, but I do like to try new things especially when other enthusiasts are excited about them — what if this one is just a few percentage points better?!?!

So it turns out I’m actually less inclined to buy more of the more expensive knives these days, because will it really cut better than a Raquin/Tilman/etc.? How much better?

That said, if I were spending another $830 on a knife today I’d probably be looking for a Dalman, followed by a Prendergast (with budget to spare) or Catcheside FG, in something like 1.2562.
Yeah, $400-600 is the new sweet spot. Isasmedjan, Kippington and the9 honyakis, Heijis, Shihan, Tilman’s are all things I have on order at the moment and are all in this price range. Also Mizuno DX.

Shihan and Mizuno are also on my “git*” list, but I’ve really slowed down on the acquisitions. Now if I start hearing how great the Jiro is as a working tool, I might reconsider.

*In the American, not the British sense.

Yeah, I can’t really commit to anything new until all the custom stuff is finished. But in 6monthes time I think we will all have a better understanding of Jiro.

Last edited:
You guys self restraint is commendable!

Buy yeah, thats the best strategy.

Back