Knives w/ Similar Profile to DT ITK

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A little while back I had to sell my DT ITK 240 gyuto I got from Marc because I needed the money :cry:

I really loved the profile on that knife and was curious what other knives have a similar profile/feel. I'm not looking to spend the same amount on another knife (I say now) but am open to hear what you think regardless of pricing. That being said, gyutos in the $200-400 range would be most helpful. Steel doesn't matter.

So what say you, knife knuts?

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing. Now I know what my next knife will be

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing. Now I know what my next knife will be

Keep in mind that the profile is only part of the "recipe" for performance. Geometry is just as important, perhaps more so.

Another thing to consider is that Devin has refined the profile over time. His latest wa-gyutos are quite different from the original knives sold by CKtG.

That said, the Tadatsuna is an excellent knife, if you can find one.

Thanks a lot, Huw!

Keep in mind that the profile is only part of the "recipe" for performance. Geometry is just as important, perhaps more so.

This is a good point. My question about the profile is meant more for a jumping off point when looking for my next knife. I really liked how the knife hit the board on my ITK and would like to recreate that feeling.

Obviously, if the geometry sucks then cutting will still suck with the knife, regardless of how much I like the profile.

I think I remember reading that the ITKs were originally based on Ikanshi Tadatsuna gyutos

I also remember this from way back when on KF, but last time I mentioned it no-one could corroborate it so I kept quiet!

@ Huw, Rick, The names Tadatsuna and Tadatuna seem to be used interchangeably on A Frames' web site. Is it a typo, are they referring to different knives or are they different makers?

@ Huw, Rick, The names Tadatsuna and Tadatuna seem to be used interchangeably on A Frames' web site. Is it a typo, are they referring to different knives or are they different makers?

I don't think you can really call this a typo.

It's a different way of romanizing the same Japanese character. The Japanese character つ is romanized as tsu or tu depending on the romanization system used; they are both valid.

Oh how I do miss my ol' ITK! Letting it go was hard to do, and seeing this thread reminds me of that.
Loved the profile of the original, but even more so the profile of his last 240mm (250) run. That one nailed it.

Back