Knot handcrafted

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, it wasn't I didn't like it. It wasn't ground flat on two attempts. Re selling is fine but I'd be clear what had gone on. Anyway, I'm done here, you guys can make whatever judgement you wish.

You have absolutely zero idea what that knife is. You don't know if it was the returned knife, you have no idea what shape the edge is in. Everything you have said about the knife in that sale post is 100% speculation on your part.

Not sorry we're not playing your game.

I am glad this thread backfired so spectacularly for OP, because I think Michael's work is ****ing beautiful. Haven't had a chance to try one yet, but it's certainly on radar, and it would be a shame if this "review" tanked his business; as well all know is possible in such a small community.

This should have been, and I suppose, was, handled over PM. Should have been left there.

it would be a shame if this "review" tanked his business
+1. Shouting out loud here no matter if prematurely or after the fact isn´t fair.
This is no a big issue and don´t get me wrong, I had the same issue with a knife as well and it annoyed me as well.

And even if it was a bigger issue it can be resolved. (unless it is a TF ;-))
Everybody makes mistakes sooner or later. Even a master bladesmith and even you.

And BTW, I do have a nakiri from Michael that is near perfect and that I will never get rid of.

PS.: Your photographs are so blurry BTW one cannot see the "gap" properly. No, don´t re-post them. We get it!

I've had 3 knives from Michael, including 2 custom cleavers. Considering the difficulties in making large cleavers, I think he did an excellent job on mine. If anyone has any doubts about the quality of his work, I can vouch for him 100%.

I understand about the size discrepancy. Sometimes for particular knives I need it to be very close to a certain size. However when dealing with customs, there needs to be an expectation set about the level of precision that is reasonable. This should in my opinion be discussed with the maker upfront, and see if it's something that can be accommodated. For me, I think +/- 5mm for length is reasonable for a custom, but I try to spec them out with a range where possible.

I am glad this thread backfired so spectacularly for OP, because I think Michael's work is ****ing beautiful. Haven't had a chance to try one yet, but it's certainly on radar, and it would be a shame if this "review" tanked his business; as well all know is possible in such a small community.

This should have been, and I suppose, was, handled over PM. Should have been left there.
100% agree.. if Michael was one of those reddit bladesmiths with crap service and just rude no problem but this dude has been nothing but genuine in DMs and that he resolved this situation by just giving back the money shows his good character. Time for me to order a knife from him.

Here's mine for reference. Highly recommend this maker.

knot 1.jpg
knot 2.jpg
knot 3.jpg

He was supposed to just throw it away and take his losses and it's unusable when one person doesn't like it.

I missed this before:

But really, wasn't he supposed to just fix it, then mark it down by 50% and sell it as a second so it could be rebought with a sock puppet account?

/s

I missed this before:

But really, wasn't he supposed to just fix it, then mark it down by 50% and sell it as a second so it could be rebought with a sock puppet account?

/s

No you are supposed to get knife for free if it has a mistake on it. Everyone knows this. ;)

/s

Yeah because we are humans and don't make mistakes. We are all perfect.

This all seems strange. A knife maker couldn't make an edge straight on two attempts and the resold the knife without disclosing if used it for two separate sessions in a commercial environment and you guys think that is fine.
I've sharpened BNIB Sabatier's, Tadokoro's and Wusthof's that have had this problem. Last week I sharpened a Mora that had a commercial factory edge with the same problem.

Really don't see what the issue was. Yes a bit of light showing at the heel, a few thou maybe? Should have just sharpened the thing and got on with enjoying the blade. Most cutting boards aren't dead flat. People getting way too picky about things imo. Expecting cnc precision from handmade items, complaining about a few mm of discrepancy, etc.

Back