Knuckle clearance, gyutos, Mac vs Misono

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol two sources for Misono:

Paul’s Finest
Kitchen Virtue

couple of dollars close they have the same prices - however you’ll find 440C only with Kitchen Virtue.
Kitchen Virtue has something in their store that I've never seen in my life: one of the knife listings is showing that they have minus two of that model in stock. A remarkable achievement, I'd say.

(Those two knives were probably listening to Van Morrison songs while waiting to be sold, and are now Real Real Gone.)

Kitchen Virtue has something in their store that I've never seen in my life: one of the knife listings is showing that they have minus two of that model in stock. A remarkable achievement, I'd say.

(Those two knives were probably listening to Van Morrison songs while waiting to be sold, and are now Real Real Gone.)

Nope Kitchen Virtue struggles from lack of visibility, so they sell their stuff on Amazon too probably explaining such things. Usually shipping fees are incurred on Amazon whereas Kitchen Virtue ships for free with any order over 50 bucks,

Nope Kitchen Virtue struggles from lack of visibility, so they sell their stuff on Amazon too probably explaining such things. Usually shipping fees are incurred on Amazon whereas Kitchen Virtue ships for free with any order over 50 bucks,

And BTW buy Misono with KV and enter the code FOODIE in the discount coupons bar.

Ah you know what they would have - TF in store and a Mc D’s not too far away.
To make it complete, they'd have to have not just the regular TF but also lots of stock of the special "W" version.

(Not because that's such a vice, just because whenever I see someone is expecting delivery of a TF, I wait and see whether they end up with a standard TF or with a W TF.)

Last edited:
You mean wonderful or wonky?

I don’t mean to say this cause I don’t care, but sooner or later you’ll be faced with someone that will ask you if you ever handled a TF. And it’s not like you’re supposed to love a TF upon handling. But prior to it, you’re too far from the game you’re commenting on. TF is far to be all bad. Price kills it, weren’t always like this. And where they sell, they’re always Out of stock. And you have to know by now its places like here that sells them so fast.

Only TFs that last on BST are misshap units overpriced. 100-150$ lower they’ll be gone too to someone that will know how to rehab or make better out of them.
Good thing with a TF being that if it’s partially good, and you know how to work, you won’t lose a cent selling it 5 years later. That’s saying something you won’t find with most knives in this market.

Whatever the wrongs TF sell fast new and aftermarket to insane prices just like the finest Japanese makers, and custom makers around the world, ever do.

If you think I’m a biased TF lover search for my Mabs review. My head is clear. Mabs was loved. Mabs was sold when I was done with my project on it. Want a Denka, but not running towards it. I’m having as much fun with less expensive knives that I can work on. But one day a Denka will get here - Yo red pakka. And it will never leave again.

Just it appears they are not always consistent - that's why my contrast between "TF" and "W TF" - sometimes you open the box and you're like "W TF". :) I don't imagine I'll ever see one.

Yeah I understood the play but kept polite - wonky.

If I was proposed only one knife to the end of the world between a Misono and a somewhat ****ed up TF, and having to actually pay for it still, it would take rather VERY dire faults on the TF for me to choose Misono. :)

..., it would take rather VERY dire faults on the TF for me to choose Misono. :)
I completely understand - I am this way with a lot of things, including ones for which many people aren't - I'm just not this way with knives.

I completely understand - I am this way with a lot of things, including ones for which many people aren't - I'm just not this way with knives.

In such case your choice is actually simple: find the first J-knife that appeals to you and doesn’t get trash talking nowhere near as much as some praise. Misono fits this. Choose stainless first - just because from my experience, difference between retention and keeness for cheaper knives in carbon or ss all hardened around 59-60 HRC doesn’t change much of anything especially in home use. All easy to sharpen.

Buy it already and be done with that. Worse thing you want better in a coupla months - but that if to happen is bound to happen with any low tier knife. Best thing, you just love it, learn to sharpen it, and go for more in a couple of years, or never.

If you like Swedish 240mm I would probably sell you mine when I'll be done playing with it. Holler me if you ever want to go for a purchase for this one and we'll see. You'd get an entirely thinned and sharpened and refinished Misono. :)

I may decide to keep it, but usually when I'm done transforming a knife, I slowly lose interest after one month of frantic use and self congratulating... 🤪
I just saw the other thread in which you describe (and show) what happened with that knife - I hadn't known the thread existed, though I should have guessed. :)

From your simple mention in here, I didn't realize the skill and the time you'd been putting into it - that's some seriously nice work! ... Which means I probably can't afford what you're worth, but I can drool anyway. :)

I just saw the other thread in which you describe (and show) what happened with that knife - I hadn't known the thread existed, though I should have guessed. :)

From your simple mention in here, I didn't realize the skill and the time you'd been putting into it - that's some seriously nice work! ... Which means I probably can't afford what you're worth, but I can drool anyway. :)

I’m worth nothing special. If I overcharge a knife on BST no one will buy it.

I’m worth nothing special. If I overcharge a knife on BST no one will buy it.
Heh. If you took the original knife to someone and asked them how much they'd charge for [list of what you did], you know it wouldn't be cheap.

Back