Knuckle clearance, gyutos, Mac vs Misono

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidPF

Likes Boring Knives
Reaction score
I know these are not extremely similar knives, but right now people don't get to make extra trips to see.

Is there a noticeable difference in the knuckle clearance between a Mac and a Misono of the same length? Some pictures look like Misono is lower, but they're pictures. Maybe the answer is "Yes they're different but nobody cares because both have enough room for most people"?

Thanks

I've used both but have not had them side by side. Both are made for most users. Both fit my xxl mitts without any problem. I like both the Mac "Mighty Chef" and the Misono 440 - either could be an "only" knife but that would be no fun..... Suggest the MAC as you're new to the game and it's probably more user friendly.

Suggest the MAC as you're new to the game and it's probably more user friendly.
Thanks - and I should have asked the other day, what makes the difference in user-friendliness between those two?

The 210 Misonos are too narrow to my taste. I use a claw grip and need more space. Good reason to look for a 240mm.
If I remember correctly, Mac's have their handles inclined upwards, leaving more knuckle clearance than handles in line with the spine.

The 210 Misonos are too narrow to my taste. I use a claw grip and need more space. Good reason to look for a 240mm.
If I remember correctly, Mac's have their handles inclined upwards, leaving more knuckle clearance than handles in line with the spine.
Thanks - this is very helpful. I have (for a man) fairly small hands, so I shouldn't be all that limited, but I do want to end up with something comfortable to use.

It could be my imagination but I remember the MAC Pro sitting a little lower than the Mighty Chef. More belly as well.

macs are def taller
That's how they look in most pictures, and I kind of thought so, so thanks for confirming it. But there's also the idea that as long as your knife is tall enough, other ones being taller doesn't matter as much anymore.

It could be my imagination but I remember the MAC Pro sitting a little lower than the Mighty Chef. More belly as well.
Have they changed their labels? From what I see now, the ones with "Mighty" on them seem to belong to the Pro collection.

I'm guessing it's just their Pro vs their Chef, with a slight name transposition.

Last edited:
You can guess all you like....

The Professional Superior line are decent knives (and my choice for MAC bread knives) The Professional Mighty Chef is a different (and better, bread knife notwithstanding) line.

You've now met the number of questions you may ask without buying a knife. Next post should be in "Show your newest knife buy".

😎

Last edited:
You can guess all you like....

The Professional line are decent knives (and my choice for MAC bread knives) The Mighty Chef is a different (and better, bread knife notwithstanding) line.

You've now met the number of questions you may ask without buying a knife. Next post should be in "Show your newest knife buy".

😎
Mac lists no "Mighty Chef" line of knives, nor any knife that includes both of those words anywhere in its description, on their website. Maybe they once did and then changed it? Go have a look if you don't believe me. (I think it sounds like you prefer what they're calling the "Superior" bread knife, and the "Pro" everything else, and some or all of the Pro models have "Mighty" printed on the blade.)

And you've now met the number of knives you may buy without switching away from knives to a new interest. 🤪

superior line is not very good. i only like the pro line.

I think Dave was referring to the ultimate series which were thicker stock and harder heat treat
I've seen praise and good reviews for just the bread knife out of the Superior - the rest of that line seems to be ignored (sounds like for good reasons).

You're saying Dave likes the thick heavy Ultimate series the best? Or what?

Misono 210mm is around 44mm tall.

Seem to remember Mac MTH-80 sitting around 47-48mm tall. It's usually the one advised for that length, but I hate the dimples myself.

Liked the profile of the Professional MBK-85 better and absence of dimples, but this one is no taller than a Misono which is a no go.

SBK-95 (ultimate) seemed to be the unit I would have preferred, but hardly available, don't like the half finger-guard much, and way too expensive for what it is.

Pro MBK-95 would have been my choice within Mac lines. It will be basically 245/49 same as a Misono 240mm is or so - and there not as interesting a knife than a Misono Swedish or 440C IMO.

So I never tried a Mac and never will. They are too expensive for what they are, and that lineup is weird and a bit backward thinking to me. MTH-80 shouldn't have dimples, MBK-85 should be taller than it is, MBK-95 makes sense, but at the price, doesn't at all.

Superior Series

The Superior Series consists of 2.0-2.5mm thin blades for less wedging into cuts but with a slightly stiffer feel than the Original Series. These knives are made using our Superior steel which has an additional processing step called sub-zero tempering for better edge retention than our Original steel.

Professional Series

Currently our most popular series, the Professional Series features a thin 2.0-2.5mm blade for less wedging into cuts and an added bolster on the handle for weight and balance. Most of the knives in this series are made with our Original steel with the exception of the MSK-65 and MTH-80 which use the Superior steel.

Ultimate Series

The Ultimate Series uses 2.5-3.0mm blades and larger bolsters than our Professional Series to mimic the weight and heft of a traditional European, forged knife while maintaining a thin, Japanese-style stamped blade. These blades are made with our sub-zero tempered Superior steel for better edge retention.

Ultimate Series "read more" tab.

Dis one:

MAC Professional Mighty Chef's Knife 8 1/2"
ITEM #: MBK-85

(I would prefer a 9 1/2")
Thanks for clarifying. That's the one I always thought people meant when they said "you could get a Mac" to anyone (including you saying it to me). (And yes, available in 210, 240, and 270 mm, though listed in the inch equivalents on their US site.)

And the "Superior" (normally thought of as their mid line I guess) does have a bit different bread knife design which I've heard praised higher than their supposedly top-line bread knives, so I figured that must have been the bread knife you liked.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had changed the names of some of their knives just to confuse you. But if a big company's marketing department changes only the names and doesn't mess with the products, you might say that's better than we've come to expect. :)

It's been awhile and there's an infinitely small possibility I have nomenclatures mixed up😎

Togo has the "Mighty Chef", without gratons.
A-ha! I see what you mean! Togo's writer wrote "Mighty chef's knife" instead of writing "Mighty gyuto", to make it simple for guys like me. And at the same time, Mac calls their cheaper entry-level set "Chef series", which is not this one at all. So the words accidentally crashed. Mystery solved, probably.

Misono 210mm is around 44mm tall.

Seem to remember Mac MTH-80 sitting around 47-48mm tall. It's usually the one advised for that length, but I hate the dimples myself.

Liked the profile of the Professional MBK-85 better and absence of dimples, but this one is no taller than a Misono which is a no go.

SBK-95 (ultimate) seemed to be the unit I would have preferred, but hardly available, don't like the half finger-guard much, and way too expensive for what it is.

Pro MBK-95 would have been my choice within Mac lines. It will be basically 245/49 same as a Misono 240mm is or so - and there not as interesting a knife than a Misono Swedish or 440C IMO.

So I never tried a Mac and never will. They are too expensive for what they are, and that lineup is weird and a bit backward thinking to me. MTH-80 shouldn't have dimples, MBK-85 should be taller than it is, MBK-95 makes sense, but at the price, doesn't at all.
All of this has been more-or-less how I've been thinking. So I'll probably try to find an easy/good Canada source for Misono at some point when I can more easily afford one.

If you like Swedish 240mm I would probably sell you mine when I'll be done playing with it. Holler me if you ever want to go for a purchase for this one and we'll see. You'd get an entirely thinned and sharpened and refinished Misono. :)

I may decide to keep it, but usually when I'm done transforming a knife, I slowly lose interest after one month of frantic use and self congratulating... 🤪

I'm guessing that your main point is their cryo blades are their best product, and someone looking for a Mac should stick with the models that have it?

yes.

the cryoed ones are awesome. takes killer edge. this is my favorite stainless. but even the non cryoed ones are good imo. i have one of those too. i guess the cryoed ones are about 60hrc and the uncryoed ones 57-58hrc.

Lol two sources for Misono:

Paul’s Finest
Kitchen Virtue

couple of dollars close they have the same prices - however you’ll find 440C only with Kitchen Virtue.

For stones Paul has a superb selection of Naniwa and Shapton, price competive for overall market but always look on Amazon for Cerax, King, Shapton before going anywhere else: often direct from Japan free shipping low price no taxes. Shapton Glass forget Amazon go with Paul.

But you’re not there yet I believe. 🤪

Back