Koa thin sets

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artisan Woods

Reaction score
Hi
Measures are at each end and length.. All are about 4mm..pictures are deceiving as all pieces are smaller on one end. $50 each set. Will make a cut or two 20160223_141310.jpg20160223_140808.jpg if you'd like. :surrendar:20160223_141724.jpg20160223_141505.jpg

These are totally badass...wish I knew how to make sayas. :knife:

Hi
I wish I could tell you how to steam them, but I've not made a Saya either. I do steam this wood for temples on my eyewear I make.. I have a little hot box and made a slotted tube with abs plastic.. I steam koa and ebony and rosewood for almost an hour.. The pros say 15 but I'm not a pro.. Moral of the story is if I can steam bend it you can.. 8)

These are totally badass...wish I knew how to make sayas. :knife:

I made my first batch of sayas using the sandwich method. Soft basswood in the middle, cut to the blade shape with a craft knife. Then glued pieces of nicer wood on each side, and cut out roughly a quarter inch bigger than the blade all the way around with a saber saw. Then sand and finish. I think they turned out pretty well. If you take your time, you can come up with something nice.

Though I would start with cheaper wood than that nice koa.

Back