Japanese Knives Kochi with a Machi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scroll down to about the middle of the page

http://www.echefknife.com/about-knives

Yeah i found that one but the written portion is a bit vague and the diagram is pointing to the neck. You'd call it a shoulder if it was refenrecing a step. Calling it a notch means it's notched or abutted on two sides by material.

https://goo.gl/images/jJRg84

Found another.

And XooMG, i actually copied and pasted your "authority" comment almost verbatim from a post you made earlier in a separate thread about youtube. So if it urked you to read it here, don't say stuff like that. Saying something "is" without evidence to point to is basically saying it "is cause i say so" and im not that easily persuaded.

And XooMG, i actually copied and pasted your "authority" comment almost verbatim from a post you made earlier in a separate thread about youtube. So if it urked you to read it here, don't say stuff like that. Saying something "is" without evidence to point to is basically saying it "is cause i say so" and im not that easily persuaded.
I am aware if what I wrote, and it does not irk me. I am not arrogating; I think poor translators and Japanese illiterates are causing confusion for anglophones, when it is not a problem for those of us who use Japanese. The only unambiguous use in English I've seen is in swords, which is the use the knife folks borrow from.

yeah... xoomg is right here... the gap is not the machi... the machi is the feature where the neck cuts in to become a thinner tang. its the feature that allows the spine of the knife to be more in alignment with the top of the handle, and makes the neck of the wider.

I am still curious if leaving the machi gap is different practice in different regions of Japan. It seems some retailers will install with the machi butted right up to the handle but other knives don't and have a gap.

I am still curious if leaving the machi gap is different practice in different regions of Japan. It seems some retailers will install with the machi butted right up to the handle but other knives don't and have a gap.

yes... its most common in sakai and tokyo... tokyo tends to leave the largest gaps

Back