• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Kochi with machi 240mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valgard

Stones Addict (terminal case)
Reaction score
Like the title says, hoping to dust off one of those Kochi with machi from a drawer. Looking for either new or used, so long as it's not been terribly damaged I'm likely interested.

It's one of these guys:
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...ucts/kochi-240mm-kurouchi-wa-gyuto-with-machi

I'm very particular about it being the variety with machi so please don't offer the regular ones with the narrow neck.
I have very little to offer in terms of trade in a somewhat similar price range but I have a Tanaka ginsan 150mm Wa petty and 180 gyuto as something to consider for partial trades (both are new).

Thanks for looking.

Carlos

Are these slightly a different profile than the non machi?

Are these slightly a different profile than the non machi?

The profile is the same... I sent the craftsman a drawing with the profile I want and that’s how he makes ours (though I just had a talk with him yesterday about a few things I want to change a bit). The ones with the machi ended up being a tiny bit thicker in the midsection and the width at the neck is different but the edge profile is the same.

The profile is the same... I sent the craftsman a drawing with the profile I want and that’s how he makes ours (though I just had a talk with him yesterday about a few things I want to change a bit). The ones with the machi ended up being a tiny bit thicker in the midsection and the width at the neck is different but the edge profile is the same.

All I'm taking from this is more Kochi soon... Jon pls? (also could you tell him to make them tall like the original specs?)

literally just had a blade height conversation yesterday... our drawing shows a height of about 54mm... they've been about 52 lately (240mm side for reference)... should be going back soon. He's trying to get stuff done before the end of the year.

literally just had a blade height conversation yesterday... our drawing shows a height of about 54mm... they've been about 52 lately (240mm side for reference)... should be going back soon. He's trying to get stuff done before the end of the year.
I assume there's no more with machi coming any time soon? Thx

I assume there's no more with machi coming any time soon? Thx
its hard to say for sure, but they are on order and i know he's trying to get as much done as possible before the end of the year (having just spoken with him recently about this)

casual bump while I still have some leftover cash from my last few sales (I know that's not gonna last).

Bumping this for the weekend, there have to be some of these out there not being used all that much

Could you re-install the handle from regular & leave a bit machi out? Or the knifes are too different, not really about machi?

Could you re-install the handle from regular & leave a bit machi out? Or the knifes are too different, not really about machi?

The machi is not the gap. It's the transition from a wider neck to the thinner tang. The gap, if present, is the "machi gap".

The Kochi with machi are installed so that the wider neck is flush against the ferrule, so you don't see a gap. The point is that "Kochi with machi" has a wider neck than regular Kochi.

You can see this difference in the pictures on JKI's site.

Back