Kono Fujiyama FT Sharpener Revealed?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tbh I’m glad I got to try one instead of buying a Takada no Hamono. Now I’m not sure I’d want to own one.

Why not? That choil shot from the CKC Takada looks deadly 😮

$450 is pretty reasonable for a sick grind + Y. Tanaka steel, and decent F&F?

Why not? That choil shot from the CKC Takada looks deadly 😮

$450 is pretty reasonable for a sick grind + Y. Tanaka steel, and decent F&F?
Oh yeah it’s a great knife and a great deal. Really just solid on the stones too.
Blade overall is just a tad too thin for me.
But that more workhorse looking Takada at strata on the other hand....

If you didn't want that, you wouldn't be on here so often. #AmIRite?

Covid stress reliefs means I've bought and sold a bunch since March.

Difficult decisions on pruning the 210 herd right now
20200915_194407.jpg

Tbh I’m glad I got to try one instead of buying a Takada no Hamono. Now I’m not sure I’d want to own one.

Know the feeling - the Fuji FM 210 I have is a very solid blade. I know Tanaka in another steel would be different, but is it different enough to be worthy?

Last edited:
Covid stress reliefs means I've bought and sold a bunch since March.

Difficult decisions on pruning the 210 herd right now
View attachment 94789

Know the feeling - the Fuji FM 210 I have is a very solid blade. I know Tanaka in another steel would be different, but is it different enough to be worthy?
But I won't know unless I get to try one, arghhhhh

I know, right? Like how can I truly compare knives unless I have them in my hand? Like which is the best FM in 210? Only three more to pick up to find out. Or maybe the MM is better? Or maybe the Sumiiro, Or maybe.....

I know, right? Like how can I truly compare knives unless I have them in my hand? Like which is the best FM in 210? Only three more to pick up to find out. Or maybe the MM is better? Or maybe the Sumiiro, Or maybe.....
Time to give your CC and preferred shipping company a workout?

So those two have the same sharpener? I was always curious about those FTs, the Suibokus look really nice. How do you like it.
It feels ALOT like the Suiboku. My Suiboku is Nakagawa blue 2 and my FT is Tanaka obviously. But Sakai it’s kinda all about who finishes the knife and the smith is just profile and treatment.

the Suiboku is probably my favorite knife. But the FT is pretty damn close on first inspection.

I gotMaster Takada to all but admit he’s Yohei Thru DM… maybe he’ll cop to the FT as well.

I will say the FT had a lot more swirls in the cladding, almost like a super faint Damascus steel look. It’s got to be in the right light. The suiboku is way more iridescent looking.

It feels ALOT like the Suiboku. My Suiboku is Nakagawa blue 2 and my FT is Tanaka obviously. But Sakai it’s kinda all about who finishes the knife and the smith is just profile and treatment.

the Suiboku is probably my favorite knife. But the FT is pretty damn close on first inspection.

I gotMaster Takada to all but admit he’s Yohei Thru DM… maybe he’ll cop to the FT as well.

I will say the FT had a lot more swirls in the cladding, almost like a super faint Damascus steel look. It’s got to be in the right light. The suiboku is way more iridescent looking.
yeah, he's not denying that he's Yohei.

Reviving this old thread- So I just visited Takada-san in Sakai (Osaka). He gave us a bit of a demo on the wheel and talked about the different sharpening steps- incredibly labor intensive.

I asked him (and my mom 😂) some questions which were really informative. I started out with the grind thickness and the Reika has a thicker grind because of the tsuchime hammer marks. also the question about kasumi vs suiboku is generally “mirror finish” but also time spent. I think the blue 1 Damascus suiboku has the thinnest grind (not confirmed). I asked him the kind of grind he preferred and I think it threw him for a loop but then answered performance (of course) & in context meant thinnest. Also Tanaka makes his aogami and Nakagawa makes his ginsan. He averages about 2 suiboku per day and honyaki take about 2 days (mind blowing). I had brought up that I had some konosuke Fujiyama knives and he asked me if I had an FT- which I replied ‘no’. He said he was the ‘T’ and that Myojin was the ‘M’.

I had planned to buy a suiboku b1 or ginsan but when I saw the Damascus the budget changed. kind of neat side note was that he gave my son a Doraemon hand towel. Really incredible experience with a really nice guy.

Reviving this old thread- So I just visited Takada-san in Sakai (Osaka). He gave us a bit of a demo on the wheel and talked about the different sharpening steps- incredibly labor intensive.

I asked him (and my mom 😂) some questions which were really informative. I started out with the grind thickness and the Reika has a thicker grind because of the tsuchime hammer marks. also the question about kasumi vs suiboku is generally “mirror finish” but also time spent. I think the blue 1 Damascus suiboku has the thinnest grind (not confirmed). I asked him the kind of grind he preferred and I think it threw him for a loop but then answered performance (of course) & in context meant thinnest. Also Tanaka makes his aogami and Nakagawa makes his ginsan. He averages about 2 suiboku per day and honyaki take about 2 days (mind blowing). I had brought up that I had some konosuke Fujiyama knives and he asked me if I had an FT- which I replied ‘no’. He said he was the ‘T’ and that Myojin was the ‘M’.

I had planned to buy a suiboku b1 or ginsan but when I saw the Damascus the budget changed. kind of neat side note was that he gave my son a Doraemon hand towel. Really incredible experience with a really nice guy.
Ya he confirmed it to me too. They are clones of the Suiboku

Did you happen to ask about the difference (if any) between the Tsubaya line and his “main” line?

Thanks for sharing it was an interesting read. :)

Did you happen to ask about the difference (if any) between the Tsubaya line and his “main” line?
if you mean the tsubaya suiboku vs takada suiboku, I didn’t ask. What information I have is not exactly apples to apples. Based on Tsubayas price for B2 (OOS) and Takadas no Hamano ginsan price there’s a substantial price difference (+30%). For ¥48,000 (240mm), a b2 suiboku is quite a value. They seem to sell out quickly tho.

Back