Kono Sanjo SKD Tsuchime KU Nashiji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yes this knife is actually called the Konosuke Sanjo SKD Tsuchime Kurouchi Nashiji. I started laughing when I saw the name but I stopped immediately when I saw the grind. Holy $#1t!!

20191217-154135-grande.jpg

20191217-154253-grande.jpg

https://www.toshoknifearts.com/prod...chi-nashiji-gyuto-240mm-burnt-chestnut-handle
Is there a version of this knife out there without all the cosmetic bells and whistles? Don't get me wrong, it's gorgeous, but I don't want to pay for that part. Just the performance.

I know it's rumored to be a yoshi but I don't know of any stock yoshi with a grind like that.

Bueller?

Yes this knife is actually called the Konosuke Sanjo SKD Tsuchime Kurouchi Nashiji. I started laughing when I saw the name but I stopped immediately when I saw the grind. Holy $#1t!!

https://www.toshoknifearts.com/prod...chi-nashiji-gyuto-240mm-burnt-chestnut-handle
Is there a version of this knife out there without all the cosmetic bells and whistles? Don't get me wrong, it's gorgeous, but I don't want to pay for that part. Just the performance.

I know it's rumored to be a yoshi but I don't know of any stock yoshi with a grind like that.

Bueller?
Yoshikane.

Yoshikane.

yeah I was gonna say everything about this knife, grind included, screams Yoshikane

tho at 450 USD maybe a bit of konosuke tax. while I like burnt chestnut a lot not sure it justifies the upcharge. and it's not like Yoshi has bad f&f that would be way better on this but then I dont know I suppose. for the right price I wouldnt say no to that for sure

yeah I was gonna say everything about this knife, grind included, screams Yoshikane

tho at 450 USD maybe a bit of konosuke tax. while I like burnt chestnut a lot not sure it justifies the upcharge. and it's not like Yoshi has bad f&f that would be way better on this but then I dont know I suppose. for the right price I wouldnt say no to that for sure

Here, compare the kono and a stock yoshikane SKD. Same sanjo taper but significantly more dramatic in the kono.

Kono:

Stock yoshi SKD:

yoshikane-nashiji-skd-gyuto-240mm-knife-yoshikane-chef-culinary-japanese-knife-knives-6-800x.jpg

Yoshi amekiri for further comparison. Getting closer:

Yoshikane-SKDHSTSGyuto240mm-Nashiji-Finishf-900x.jpg

Last edited:
Pure conjecture... Maybe one of the ex-Yoshikane makers might be pushing themselves a bit + branching out... Wakui or Masahi?

I had one. Laser in my opinion but cuts good for what it is. If you are a "Tool polisher" then yes a way too fancy finish. Handle is nice. Steel is like butter on the stones IMO.

Looks like the yoshi amerkiri is about as close as you can get. Wish KNS did a version in something other than ebony. It's nice but I like a more blade forward balance.
My wallet thanks for K&S for those handles 😊

Well it's not tall like a Masashi, and it's SKD so no Wakui. That leaves Yoshikane.
I meant they (Masahi or Wakui) might be trying something new.

The hammered KU reminds me of Masahi hammered KU...
1612678856026.png

Last edited:

Bueller?
it's Yoshikane. you missed it, Tosho has it on sale last month. it was 21% off.

the difference between Kono and Yoshi is that Kono has better f&f and what I understand is that he finishes everything in-house. so Ivan might be finished that knife.

Bueller?
Cleancuts Kashima Sanjo has a pretty decent grind. Check out the choil shot. It's White2 though and not SKD.
https://www.cleancut.eu/butik/knifetype/gyuto/kockkniv24_kashima_sanjo-3054-3055-3056-3057-detail

If you want to lose some of the name hype just call it Yoshi hammered. I can't get past the hammered finish so this is one of few Yoshi I don't own or lust for.

Is it the same knife EE sells as Yoshi? Thought those ran thick.

it's Yoshikane. you missed it, Tosho has it on sale last month. it was 21% off.

the difference between Kono and Yoshi is that Kono has better f&f and what I understand is that he finishes everything in-house. so Ivan might be finished that knife.

Yeah but I can't find a stock yoshi with that grind so yoshikane must change more than just the F&F for this knife no?

Yeah but I can't find a stock yoshi with that grind so yoshikane must change more than just the F&F for this knife no?
Maybe Konosuke orders it with an extra thin edge off Yoshikane, or maybe Konosuke thins it in-house since I heard Ivan do sharpening for Konosuke.

I have the 150mm petty version of this knife.
Considering it comes w saya, has the cool gun metal almost 3D looking KU finish and upgraded half octagonal handle over other similar yoshis I think paying the extra $100 over what carbon charges is pretty fair.
Not sure I’d buy this one though. It’s just so painfully thin 😂
The petty is much more robust. Excellent purchase. Very nice eye candy in person.

I have the 150mm petty version of this knife.
Considering it comes w saya, has the cool gun metal almost 3D looking KU finish and upgraded half octagonal handle over other similar yoshis I think paying the extra $100 over what carbon charges is pretty fair.
Not sure I’d buy this one though. It’s just so painfully thin 😂
The petty is much more robust. Excellent purchase. Very nice eye candy in person.
I have the same petty and love it. The handle is one of the most comfortable I've encountered. When I first bought it I thought it was kono-branded Yoshi, then I thought it maybe I was wrong and it was Nihei. Now consensus here is Yoshi? I'd wager that the gyuto cuts great but 166g for 240mm is too light for my tastes currently.

Back