Konosuke #6!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mateo

Reaction score
Instead of digging up the old thread, I decided to post the photos here of my newest acquisition, a Konosuke Chuka (#6 cleaver) in white steel #2. I've had it for about a month or so and I love it!

I haven't sharpened it yet... it kinda scares me :p I think I need to call Jon -- who certainly deserves a shout out here!

Nice Patina going:
Patina.jpg

Spine:

Spine.jpg

Tip:
tip.jpg

Choil:
Choil.jpg

Here are some measurements I posted before (although I don't have calipers so anything 1.5mm or less is an estimate):

Overall: 221mmx110mm, handle to tip is 228mm

Height:
@tip - 108mm
1/4 blade from tip - 109.5mm
Mid blade - 110.5mm
3/4 blade from tip - 109mm
@heel - 109

Spine thickness:
@heel - ~2.5mm
midblade - 2
@tip - <1mm

This makes me want to sell my moritaka badly....that blade is perfect perfect perfect

I've seen very few knives on here that I've coveted -- this one grabbed me.

Can you take a pic with the blade on the board? I want to see how much flat the contact patch is, as it looks pretty damn flat from your first picture. Too much curve has been my biggest gripe with the two cleavers I've owned, and it was not fun to grind on a DMT to change it.

Great chukka.

I just aquired a Suien and been using it a lot more lately. Nothing better than chopping veggies with a chukka, and I kinda dig the curve.

Ooo... this looks very nice indeed...

Agreed, the edge profile is important to see.

Can you take a pic with the blade on the board? I want to see how much flat the contact patch is, as it looks pretty damn flat from your first picture. Too much curve has been my biggest gripe with the two cleavers I've owned, and it was not fun to grind on a DMT to change it.

It's not as flat as a CCK, which is something I find to be very positive. It certainly doesn't have the curve of say the Suien VC or something like that. I'd have to say though, the profile was my main concern with ordering a Chuka online -- although I haven't had an "unclean" cut thus far, even with chives and green onions (which are notorious for this).

I see two main flat sections the tip and the heel. I'd say the tip is about 1/4 of the length of the blade, with the heel being almost half, maybe 3/8, with a nice smooth transition.

Front flat:
ProfTip.jpg

Heel flat:
ProfHeel.jpg

New rule: All knife pics have to have a 1 month patina.

Love it!

haha... I like it too, the patina and the rule. I have to admit I was worried about the White #2, never having owned it before. But it isn't nearly as reactive as my CCK (which 4-5 times I had to scrub rust off, even though I'm wiping and drying thoroughly), no onion discoloration and little on garlic, but nothing too bad. I helped the patina with a little mustard, which had a serious funky smell, but the steel was fine. I actually really like the patina, the mustard is a lot of the dark spots while all the blues to red hues (in the photo at least) are from other sources (meat, onions, cabbage, etc.).

Very nice, I have become a Chukka convert, it is my most used knife in pro use.

I have a cheap CCK... which is pretty-much unused... so not a cleaver-sort. But that thing is lovely and makes me want to change!

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW.

That is simply one awesome knife.

That is Sweet!!!!

Now you can cut almost anything!!!

Back