Konosuke Fujiyama; A History

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

jedy617

Reaction score
Take less sunny pictures of the after to reproduce light settings of the before. ;) When it shines it always looks nice. I seem to distinguish improvment though.
You would think so....but here is the before in the sun haha:

Screenshot_20210510-190953_Photos.jpg

ModRQC

« Say… that’s a fun looking knife! »
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No no I just wanted to see the finer swirls you had, where they were at. These little devils can be stubborn to clear out using only one direction. You sure did a fine job of the more major scuffs which is nice. What grit did you end up using?

jedy617

Reaction score
No no I just wanted to see the finer swirls you had, where they were at. These little devils can be stubborn to clear out using only one direction. You sure did a fine job of the more major scuffs which is nice. What grit did you end up using?
Yeah I got a lot of the major stuff out, but it's not perfect. But it is plenty good enough for me. So I started with 1000 for a bit, realized it wouldn't be course enough, so I did 500, then 1000, and then finished with 1500 wet sand, and I buffed with a little flitz. I taped off everything below where the kasumi(like where a shinogi line would be? middle point) and there are still plenty of swirls around there but I'm waiting on my fingerstones for that. Also have some stray sanding scratches but again don't think I can ever get it perfect perfect but I am happy with it

ModRQC

« Say… that’s a fun looking knife! »
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is exactly the point - being happy. Glad you shared, I’ll wait for the fingerstones results!

esoo

living the patina
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As this is a good place to drop this in case people go looking some time in the future. Sometimes people want to go looking to see how rare the non-gyutos are.

This month (Sept 2021), Kono sent out to vendors both B#2 Chuka Bocho and W#1 Nakiri

I found reference to 6 W#2 Cleavers being sold in Oct 2018, and the most recent info I can find on a Fuji nakiri is that Steve Gamache recorded one of his videos for W#2 nakiri in Nov 2015 so I guessing some were up for sale then.

This current batch of nakiri is a different beast. In 2015, they were 170mm (true edge) x 49.5mm @147g (with ho wood handle). This batch of nakiri is 183mm (true edge) x 54.5mm @ 219g (with ebony handle)

Reaction score
@Omega For someone like myself who wanted to learn about Konosuke, and the Fujiyama line, this thread has been the best piece of knowledge I have ever come across in one single place. THANK YOU, for what was probably more sadistic psychosis than anything haha, for taking the time to properly articulate the history of the brand and the line. A buddy of mine is sending me a Konosuke FM Fujiyama so I can have a look at it before sending it back to him. After reading this, I'm so stoked to have that opportunity! :)