Konosuke Fujiyama; A History

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Gregmega

Yo- for sure man, I'll be happy to expound upon the IG stuff. I'll admit, I actually have a number of updates I want to make for this write up (Honyaki, the Myojin reveal, the Togo vs Vintage Carbon situation, etc.) but have been dragging my feet on just because of other life busyness.

There have also been a few instances of pushback towards some of the information presented in the initial release of this that I'm wanting to address as well. My job laying off a bunch of other people and expecting the rest of us to pick up the slack never helps.. but isn't that how it always goes.

@Gregmega

Yo- for sure man, I'll be happy to expound upon the IG stuff. I'll admit, I actually have a number of updates I want to make for this write up (Honyaki, the Myojin reveal, the Togo vs Vintage Carbon situation, etc.) but have been dragging my feet on just because of other life busyness.

There have also been a few instances of pushback towards some of the information presented in the initial release of this that I'm wanting to address as well. My job laying off a bunch of other people and expecting the rest of us to pick up the slack never helps.. but isn't that how it always goes.
Amazing write up thank you. I just paid $5.99 to tell you that.

Also based on you I just bought a 240 B1 Fuji from Tosho.
Thank you.

Omega, great posts and research. It was a pleasure to read.

@Ruso Thanks so much!

@Reverend27 Hope you enjoy the FM! I really love Myojin's sharpening. Plus the edges they come with are so nice now.

For stones, a lot of it can come down to personal preference. There's a reason why there's such a huge variety out there- there isn't necessarily a best. However, if you're looking for a place to start, Konosuke uses Choseras / Naniwa Pro in their honbazuke progression that they put on Every knife now. Admittedly, I know there's at least 1 extremely nice natural stone near the end of things.. and there's also a shitload of talent that's involved.. But if you want to be at least at the same starting place as what stones are being used to put the edge your feeling out of the box, Chosera / Naniwa Pro is where its at.

Really nice write up here, makes me want to go out and buy a pre-FM Konosuke. Alas I'm a little late to the game and can only look out for re-sales.

Thanks so much for the research and write up Omega!

My thanks as well Omega. Fabulous thread. Appears to have had the anticipated effect as I bought a Kono FM W1 yesterday. Probably take a month to get it but I’m excited. I already have a Y Tanaka dammy B1 so it will be interesting to compare.

So I just received my first Fuji. The box says Gt 240 Fm blue#1.

I noticed some small scratches on the blade face and small scratches leading into and out of the kanji.

Also the junction between handle and ferrule there is an obvious step. You can catch you thumbnail on it if you drag across it.

Other then that the fit and finish is beautiful and I like the handle more in person then the photos.

My biggest surprise impression is the weight and overall solid feel.
Haven't cut with it yet but I'll cook dinner with it tonight. (Cantonese beef and vegetables).

So I just received my first Fuji. The box says Gt 240 Fm blue#1.

Also the junction between handle and ferrule there is an obvious step. You can catch you thumbnail on it if you drag across it.

That is intentional, every FM has the exposed maachi and it is pretty clear in photos. That's not a F&F issue..

Enjoy it - they're great knives.

Last edited:
I just heard so much of fit and finish I guess I expected flawless.

I don't know that anyone cares but mine weighs 204 grams. A pleasant surprise laser at the edge but still has some heft.
This is what I like.

I just heard so much of fit and finish I guess I expected flawless.

I don't know that anyone cares but mine weighs 204 grams. A pleasant surprise laser at the edge but still has some heft.
This is what I like.
Sounds like the new taller, thicker spine FM's they are making. Just read they are also producing a batch of cleavers too by the same blacksmith, sharpener and handle maker.

@Reverend27 Is the issue about a match gap? I read your post as a F&F issue with the handle, where the wood portion meets the ferrule (likely horn portion). . .

Yes I'm not talking about the machi. I know what tokyo style is. I'm talking about where the wood meets the horn. Its like a .3-.5 mm step up to the wood.

And also there's is a visible glue line between the two.

I'm happy I'm not sending it back. Just surprising that my cheaper knives have a smoother transition.

As far as fit in my hand and the weight it's excellent.

My favorite knife up to this point was my Shiro Kamo 210 r2 damascus.

That knife was 234mm blade length 53mm height and between 200-210 grams.
This Fuji is 233mm 52mm and 204. Perfect.
The Kamo became an extension of me and I'm sure this Kono will also.

Also I'm a pro and this will be my work knife.

Ya it's not a big deal to me nor are the tiny scratches.
I will put a patina on it and put it to work.

@Reverend27 I have a 240 b1 I got from Tosho in nov/dec and it has the same small amount of glue/step in handle-ferrule transition. Much like you I love the knife too much to really care but it was a slight annoyance. My hd2 has a near perfect transition.

It's cool I'm not worried. Got done cooking dinner tonight.

Went thru some carrot, broccoli, mushrooms, ginger, garlic cabbage and some nice flank steak.

Tip worked great on the small ginger and garlic.
But it was the carrots that were the ahha moment.
It's apparent to me I'm going to have to rework my muscle memory because when it starts to drop you really have let off the pressure and let it fall.

I'm happy with it.

It's cool I'm not worried. Got done cooking dinner tonight.

Went thru some carrot, broccoli, mushrooms, ginger, garlic cabbage and some nice flank steak.

Tip worked great on the small ginger and garlic.
But it was the carrots that were the ahha moment.
It's apparent to me I'm going to have to rework my muscle memory because when it starts to drop you really have let off the pressure and let it fall.

I'm happy with it.

I had that same thing happen yesterday. I cut a carrot with my Gengetsu yesterday (sorry, no video). The edge hit the board a little hard..

Great read...just found this thread. @Omega thank you! Perfect timing as my FM 240 B2 is due in Monday.

Last edited:
Very awesome post! I have nothing substantive to add, but wanted to share photos I took of the Konosuke shop when I visited in early 2009. Obviously the blades are made elsewhere, but it looked like they did everything else on the first floor of their house, on a small residential street. Kosuke was extremely nice and welcoming, and even though I only bought a basic laser gyuto, they let me select the handle and watch it being installed. He explained to me how he had taken over the business from his father a few years back, and how he planned to modernize it. And now he's widely considered one of the new great modern knife makers! Thanks for illuminating all the attention to detail that went into the Fujiyama series - Kosuke clearly deserves all his success.

QnuMABs.jpg

kGxhbpD.jpg

lkbL1xH.jpg

onIEVcj.jpg

JcsDQDJ.jpg

cxvOKp2.jpg

NHpBbr4.jpg

Back