Konosuke Fujiyama blue gyuto vs Kagekiyo blue gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not so much, which one is better. But how they compare to each other. I own a 240mm kono Fujiyama blue 1 gyuto and was curious of similarities and differences if anyone had experience with both

The two are so close in performance it's a toss up. One is twice the price.

I am doubtful the only difference is price, but have not used both of those particular blades side by side. Seemingly have different edge profiles, also my Kagekiyo is ground slightly thicker than the Kono blues, but my Kagekiyo is white 2. Very different handles, better fit and finish on the Kagekiyo.

I know they have a similar aesthetic but question whether they perform identically. Hopefully people with more direct knowledge can chip in.

The grinds on the Kagekiyo are a little more consistent and easier to "break in" when it comes time to thin it. However they are also a little thicker than the Fujiyama.

Also, there are really three Konosuke Fujiyama grinds. White #1, white #2 and Blue #2/ Ginsanko. I have #2 and Ginsanko and they are very different knives. 240 #2 is almost 50 at the heel where the Ginsanko is closer to 47

There is also the kurouchi Fujiyama line Tosho carries which is a little thicker. They make a lot of variations

f&f of kagekiyo is better, especially the handle & saya, thats y you get the gold sticker ;)

The grinds on the Kagekiyo are a little more consistent and easier to "break in" when it comes time to thin it. However they are also a little thicker than the Fujiyama.

I've dealt with 1 of each and complained a lot recently about the Konosuke, which was a Blue#2. I think the Konosuke is designed to look good until you get down to the basics of maintenance and actually using it, which involves thinning as you go as part of your sharpening regiment. Sorry, but I think it's a nice-looking knife designed for users who might not know better. As soon as you get beyond touching up the edge you might discover that the grind is a mess and there's no way you can restore the lovely finish you've paid the extra $ for because the shinogi doesn't naturally fit the contours of the blade and its straight appearance, disguised by the nice polish, is machined-on for effect.

It's a cheaper knife that sells well, I suppose, because it's been around a while, sounds reputable, and looks good in photos. The common ebony+blonde ferrule handles dress the blades up further, and I also don't think the overall geometry is very effective because getting up the bevel at the shinogi, where other knives might have been more flush with the rest of the blade face, these end up feeling thick especially at the front part of the blade. Very disappointing and I'm not sure why some people say they are impressed unless these are very inconsistent and sometimes much better.

I'm probably not a fan of the wide, uniform-looking bevel with shinogi design on gyuto, although I do like my Heiji, so you could consider this. I've owned a Gesshin Kagekiyo, though, and found that, although too much is put into looks again - the icky sparkling, slippery, lacquered handle; the polished concave wide bevel that won't look good when you first put it to stones (I don't think people realise) - it was a much more carefully made knife, I thought, with a consistent bevel grind and nice taper. The thickness, in contrast to the Konosuke above, was less and this was good because there wasn't an excess amount of width around the shinogi area. It was thinner and cut better. In my case, thinner isn't really a good thing as I like heftier knives. However, after first dealing with the Kagekiyo the Konosuke seemed a sham.

I have a white #2 Damascus konosuke which profile was different from all the rest. I really enjoy my blue 2 konosuke but the op said blue 1. I'm pretty sure they are available in Japan only. Never tried the kagekiyo but want to real soon. My blue 2 and white 2 are way different but both needed thinning and then started to really perform. I feel like konosuke is getting a little sloppy recently but am still a fan

It was sold to me as blue#1 new, but I've noticed almost all the fujiyamas online are sold as blue#2. I have no way of knowing . I think it's a great knife either way but to be honest , I use it sparingly, only because I have a lot of gyutos in comparison to other knives. In my head the shinogi would aid in the long term ( thinning as you sharpen ). Those kagekiyos look mean a **** to me, and figured they might be similar with a sleek matching saya handle 1-2.. To each their own in that regard
image_zpsgz9h1u2i.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Great work from Karl if I'm not mistaken, the steel name should be stamped on the blade but b#1 is also very common. The reason blue2 is more popular is because of the relatively low price

Back