Konosuke HD vs Swedish stainless steel?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraeff

Reaction score
Im just curious what the comparison is between the two. I have the HD gyuto and want to get a 270 suji.

The price on the swedish is a bit more. I know the HD steel is pretty awesome, does anyone have any reasons that one is better than the other?

The stainless is more stain resistant and possibly tougher although I've never chipped my HD. The stainless is softer and responds well to steeling... I'd go for the HD every time.

I used to have a Suisin Inox 240 and now I have a 270 kono HD. The HD sharpens up far more easily for me than the Suisin - I have no idea why or if it's just in my head, but I consequently far prefer the HD to Suisin's stainless. I realize that you probably wanted a Kono vs. Kono comparison - sorry - I don't have both. My HD did patina (and is still getting some more) - so if you want it shiny-all-the-time, an HD might not be for you.

I'd say the Kon stainless (AEB-L/13c26?) is easier to sharpen than the Suisin (19c27). The HD is maybe a little easier still but none of them are tough sharpening jobs by any stretch.

The price on the swedish is a bit more.
? The HD line is more expensive of the two. lines. Also, the HD will be holding its edge longer if Konosuke's is like other Swedish stainless I've used at 58 hrc

none of them are tough sharpening jobs by any stretch.

This x 1000...these steels are are breeze, especially with how thin these knives are.

Ah your right i was looking at the gyuto price.

Ok well heres another questions what does the HD compare with the masamoto suji?

...what does the HD compare with the masamoto suji?
You should probably start this question up in a new thread. I'm assuming you're comparing the KonHD suji to a masamoto KS suji. The Konosuke is consistently thinner near the handle. I gather some KS's are quite thin at the tip but some are not. The KonHD are all thin and they are a more flexible near the handle which puts some people off. The KS is more reactive but it isn't bad, if you're fast and your wipe a lot.

I like the HD for gyutos, but carbon for sujis, as they are better suited being as sharp as possible, and will make little board contact compared to a gyuto; which is better suited to be tougher.

The only Swedish stainless I have experience with is the Sakai Yusuke; meh....wish I would have gone carbon or semi....

Back