konosuke HD2 western 240

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whirlwynds

Reaction score
anybody own one of these? how does it compare to the wa-handle? they are $249 at CKTG and i'm tempted... apparently some of the handles have shrink a bit making the bolster and spine proud of the handle. But I could fix that with a file or grinding.

There’s definitely a difference in weight distribution. The point of balance, I used to have 270mm WA HD2 (Ho wood 160 grams) blade heavier.
The 240mm western handle HD2( over 200 grams) have more weight towards the handle instead, so the center balance around the heel.
3600D712-C45E-4F65-97E0-E58611555DA4.jpeg

anybody own one of these? how does it compare to the wa-handle? they are $249 at CKTG and i'm tempted... apparently some of the handles have shrink a bit making the bolster and spine proud of the handle. But I could fix that with a file or grinding.
Keep in mind that wood abrades much more easily than metal. It’s easier said than done to get the spine smoothed by hand—unless you have a grinder

Funny that this didn’t notify me yet I stumbled across this post anyway.

To the OP - I bought one of these from CKTG. Fit and finish on the one I got is perfect. Tried to sell it on BST but no interest. For the record, I ordered an Ashi Ginga to contrast and they are, proportionally, the exact same knife. The steal might be different but everything else was the same.

To the OP - I bought one of these from CKTG. Fit and finish on the one I got is perfect. Tried to sel it on BST but no interest. For the record, I ordered an Ashi Ginga to contrast and they are, proportionally, the exact same knife. The steal might be different but everything else was the same.

Isn't Ashi the purported maker of the HD2?

To the OP - I bought one of these from CKTG. Fit and finish on the one I got is perfect. Tried to sell it on BST but no interest. For the record, I ordered an Ashi Ginga to contrast and they are, proportionally, the exact same knife. The steal might be different but everything else was the same.
interesting. did you end up selling yours? and which do you prefer. the ashi ginga or the konosuke?

interesting. did you end up selling yours? and which do you prefer. the ashi ginga or the konosuke?
I still have it but will sell or Give it to a family member/friend shortly. If you’re interested we can chat via pm - mine comes with a Konosuke saya and has been used for about a week now. I kept the Konosuke because I had used it and returned the Ashi. If I were buying fresh I would buy either the Gesshin Ginga (because of the rounded spine and choil) or the Konosuke HD2. I wouldn’t choose the standard Ashi Ginga over those two.

thanks for sharing the subtle differences. This is what makes this forum such a valuable resource. and also saves me from having to buy hundreds of dollars of knives to find out myself.

Isn't Ashi the purported maker of the HD2?
I wouldn’t be surprised if he was the maker for Hd2, one time I was trying to look for a backup for HD2 and Gesshin Ginga was the closest in terms of specs, almost identical, except I heard Gesshin Ginga is thinner behind the edge.

That's actually not bad at all. From the way people described it I was afraid it'd be totally handle heavy.
My Carter Laser western handle is liked that also, even further towards handle, good for slicing motion, precise tip work.

Last edited:
I have the knife and love it. I use it as a beater as it's basically stainless and the steel is pretty tough. It also sharpens easily and gets quite sharp. I've used it on Japanese pumpkins and semi frozen meats and it handled them pretty well. When I go to friends' place I bring this knife, too. As pointed out above, the balance point is at heel which I don't necessarily prefer, but it doesn't feel awkward in any way. The TF westerns are more forward balanced but the tradeoff is TF western handles are too skinny IMO. The handle of HD2 is thicker and comfy.

Latest posts

Back