Konosuke Kaiju

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wombat

Reaction score
https://www.**************.com/konosukekaiju.html
On sale October 3, according to Konosuke's instagram. Looks interesting, wonder if there will be a 210mm version.

Edit - URL appears to have been blocked, it's CKTG.

B#1 specs look interesting. I find the 175g weight a little unbelievable given the specs. The shorter, thinner W#1 FM w/ebony handle weighed 175g. These must be over 200g.

Miaw! Could be heavier though for it's intended purpose, but I guess it's hard to push Kono away from old habits - that target weight is typical. I'd like a full frontal choil shot but it looks the part. It does look like still a very conservative try at a workhorse.

I always thought they based the prototype drawing weight with the khii laurel handle... I don't think I ever compared with vendors specs to verify tough.

Looks like a knife in my wheelhouse! Although, I've already blown my 2020 knife budget. Nice height.
IMG_8281.jpg

I am definitely interested in this line. The one thing I wish I could get on my Y Tanaka is a thicker spine near the handle. I am curious about that weight though. If that’s without a handle then I’m pretty well sold on this line
With handle no way that knife weighs 175g

Why?

4mm is nothing so thicker than FMs... rated what, 3.3 or something? Also the grind seems more of the same, granted probably less needle and more convexed but still the taper on the half choil shot is very steep, so quite thin behind, just lower so.

Don't forget these are 4mm taller than the FM too and touted as a WH grind vs the laserish FM. But I predict a weight ~220g with Ebony handle. Guess we'll know soon enough.

Last edited:
Guess I don't care... Look at the price @Kippington sold his last one. I wouldn't be first in line for any Konosuke. In the ways that make sense, Kipp's work is much more dedicated.

My 240 B2 FM with standard Konosuke handle is 184grams. The 'drawings' have to represent weights without handles. If they're doing the Kaiju with ebony? We could see weights around 240 grams easy.

well, CKTG already put it at $600. don't know if it will change or no. I have no idea how much Tosho will charge for it though, maybe similiar.

Based on the repeated mention of polishing from Kono's site/IG, I'm assuming that the finger stones CKTG mentions being included are probably coming from Kono.

Maybe not and it would affect the price some?

well, CKTG already put it at $600. don't know if it will change or no. I have no idea how much Tosho will charge for it though, maybe similiar.

It'll be more at Tosho as it always is, and they'll justify it as they'll get the Blue #1, while CKtG has the Blue #2

Cheers! I’d wondered the price. $600-ish is what I expected, fair price. Really tempted, checks many of my boxes.

Why?

4mm is nothing so thicker than FMs... rated what, 3.3 or something? Also the grind seems more of the same, granted probably less needle and more convexed but still the taper on the half choil shot is very steep, so quite thin behind, just lower so.
My FM spine is 2.7mm and the weight is 170 gram. 175 with handle is unlikely the case IMO.

Cheers! I’d wondered the price. $600-ish is what I expected, fair price. Really tempted, checks many of my boxes.
Definitely. The W#1 FM is about $450 but I think this new line brings more to the table. Moving away from that unpleasant bead blasted faux-kasumi finishing is to be applauded. Hoping there's a good distal taper and a thin tip region. From what I can see it looks promising.

Definitely. The W#1 FM is about $450 but I think this new line brings more to the table. Moving away from that unpleasant bead blasted faux-kasumi finishing is to be applauded. Hoping there's a good distal taper and a thin tip region. From what I can see it looks promising.
Good point. Hope there’s a decent distal. I had a Fujiyama, circa 2013, sold it, too light and delicate for my tastes—quite excited for a beefier knife with Kono f&f. Wife will kill me if she’d know I’m considering another knife.

Back