Konosuke Kaiju

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks good enough, esp B#1, that I will look again at Konosuke. The Machi gap will have to go though 🤔

I'll watch both. Wherever I can get one. Haha. If it turns out to be a knife with Sanjo style grind, taller FM style profile and even better-than-FM all natural finish, it would be my perfect knife for a while.
Way I figure, won't be heartbroken if I miss out— if it's a success, they'll likely be more in production. Maybe future iterations will come out, like without the kurouchi; different sizes, etc.

Way I figure, won't be heartbroken if I miss out— if it's a success, they'll likely be more in production. Maybe future iterations will come out, like without the kurouchi; different sizes, etc.
I don't see any kurouchi on the polished blade.

Just viewing on my crappy phone—looks like a black finish. Apologies of mistaken.
Its the arty farty photography that is accentuating the darker stone polish. A lot of work went into creating the final finish and that in itself is worth the price premium vs the FM. I'm predicting ~$800 for the B#1 steel from Tosho (assuming they get the special version)

I know I love my Konosuke Fujiyama's I have a 210 Fuji Petty, a 210 Fuji Gyuto and a 240 Fuji Gyuto but at the current price of this new offering @ $600 I wondering about what it has that my Toyama 240 B#2 Stainless clad Gyuto doesn't have?

I know I love my Konosuke Fujiyama's I have a 210 Fuji Petty, a 210 Fuji Gyuto and a 240 Fuji Gyuto but at the current price of this new offering @ $600 I wondering about what it has that my Toyama 240 B#2 Stainless clad Gyuto doesn't have?
You can polish it on a JNat without going through low grit stones painfully.

How noticeable will Blue 2 vs Blue 1 be? Has anyone used both of his? This is the first one I've been tempted in a while because I feel like it will feel 'different'. I have 2 Y Tanaka's both in Blue 1, the Tsubaya and a Fujiyama mukimono. Very happy with both, will it seem like a noticeable downgrade to go with the Blue 2 at home?

I also love the aesthetic of the buffalo horn, but that can always be changed.

How noticeable will Blue 2 vs Blue 1 be? Has anyone used both of his? This is the first one I've been tempted in a while because I feel like it will feel 'different'. I have 2 Y Tanaka's both in Blue 1, the Tsubaya and a Fujiyama mukimono. Very happy with both, will it seem like a noticeable downgrade to go with the Blue 2 at home?

I also love the aesthetic of the buffalo horn, but that can always be changed.
Not much of difference that you could really tell. Maybe some if there's an HRC difference between them, maybe.

Not much of difference that you could really tell. Maybe some if there's an HRC difference between them, maybe.
Per the specs there's a significant difference in the hardness.

97784943-2323-4190-89FD-9D3018268517.jpeg

So a fatty with a laser profile huh? 🤔

Apparently, I heard Tosho and Ai & Om will get the Blue 1 version, comes with Uchigumori finger stones to maintain the Kasumi finish. So, Myojin did the rough grinding and Ivan finishes the knife in-house for the low spot-free grind. it will be around CAD 1000 what I'm guessing.

Apparently, I heard Tosho and Ai & Om will get the Blue 1 version, comes with Uchigumori finger stones to maintain the Kasumi finish. So, Myojin did the rough grinding and Ivan finishes the knife in-house for the low spot-free grind. it will be around CAD 1000 what I'm guessing.
The Ivan with tosho?

1 point is that significant? I think I read it goes up per point the higher, but didn't realize 1 is a huge variation.

I think that 1 point is not significant. Food in general is just too soft for any steel. The main advantage of hardness gives you is edge retention, but it sacrifices toughness, so it’s a trade-off.

I actually prefer low 60s in hardness, as a home cook, I don’t care about further edge retention as much as toughness. I need at least some of gyutos to cut semi frozen meat, the higher hardness ones tend to chip more.

1 point is that significant? I think I read it goes up per point the higher, but didn't realize 1 is a huge variation.
For some reason, probably the font, I read 66 for the B#1. Yes, you're correct 1 unit hrc difference isn't all that significant.

For HRC, 2 points starts to become noticeable. For example, my Fuji FM in W#2 (63-64) feels harder than my HD2 (61-62). So depending on the Blue 1 (64-65) vs Blue 2 (63-64) you get, you could get knives that have a 2 point difference

Back