Konosuke Kaiju

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too😊 with no guilt👍
Another way I look at it is, the covid sh**show had turned my life and business a big curve ball. To keep my sanity I could spend $$$ on therapy or a knife. In NYC, the median rate for a therapy session is $200—so the choice is either three therapy sessions or buying a Kaiju gyuto. The latter would bring more happiness, use and longevity.

Another way I look at it is, the covid sh**show had turned my life and business a big curve ball. To keep my sanity I could spend $$$ on therapy or a knife. In NYC, the median rate for a therapy session is $200—so the choice is either three therapy sessions or buying a Kaiju gyuto. The latter would bring more happiness, use and longevity.
😂😂😂😂😂

I am going to have to recite this verbatim to my wife😂😂😂

I mean these knives are good for mental well being and relationship health - and a happy home kitchen life. and they are heirlooms to be passed across generations. They are not expenses, they are investments!

I think I am getting where you are coming from😊

patience is a virtue - why buy the first batch when better product 9 months away

True, specially, what if they follow-up with a true heavy weight WH Kaiju, i.e. the Mega-Kaiju?

Which in the end, could only be topped by the real WH Killer, the one & only Godzilla. Imagine the battle between monster workhouse Gyutos: Mega-Kaiju vs. Godzilla, carrots & potato flying everywhere 😂

True, specially, what if they follow-up with a true heavy weight WH Kaiju, i.e. the Mega-Kaiju?

Which in the end, could only be topped by the real WH Killer, the one & only Godzilla. Imagine the battle between monster workhouse Guutos: Mega-Kaiju vs. Godzilla, carrots & potato flying everywhere 😂
I'd pay to watch that. PPV

Your needs might not have changed whole lot, but your justification skills had gone up 10x 😂

Which in the end, could only be topped by the real WH Killer, the one & only Godzilla. Imagine the battle between monster workhouse Guutos: Mega-Kaiju vs. Godzilla, carrots & potato flying everywhere 😂
😂😂😂😂 gimme shelter - from flying carrots

Reminds me of how watches got bigger and bigger and bordered on the absurd eventually

Maybe knives heading in that direction

Which in the end, could only be topped by the real WH Killer, the one & only Godzilla. Imagine the battle between monster workhouse Gyutos: Mega-Kaiju vs. Godzilla, carrots & potato flying everywhere 😂

You know, looking at the specs again, 4mm spine is not that thick, only 0.5mm thicker than my Kochi. I do question how workhorse-like the Kaiju will seem compared to other workhorse knives I have. Even the Kaiju weight doesn't seem beefy.

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 4.31.46 PM.png

Just to feed the Kaiju frenzy, a vendor is selling Konosuke lapel pins. I don't know who forged or sharpened them.

konosuke-lapel-pin-10.jpg

konosuke-lapel-pin-43.jpg

You know, looking at the specs again, 4mm spine is not that thick, only 0.5mm thicker than my Kochi. I do question how workhorse-like the Kaiju will seem compared to other workhorse knives I have. Even the Kaiju weight doesn't seem beefy.

View attachment 96909

4 mm spine could very well be a middle weight.

My TF Mab 210 had 4mm spine.
Toyama stainless clad 210, 4.5mm.

My Shig Kasumi 210, a middle weight comes out the handle at 5mm, so was my Kato 210 WH, turned out to be a middle weight as well weighted only 180g.

Even my Shig Kasumi DIY 180 has a 5 mm spine.

The two Mazaki 210s I had, had the thickest spine, 5.5 -6mm out the handle IIRC.

I really appreciate the 5mm+ spine out the handle, with my neck grip style, super comfy to push down on the spine.

My Shig Kasumi 210, a middle weight comes out the handle at 5mm, so was my Kato 210 WH, turned out to be a middle weight as well weighted only 180g.

The two Mazaki 210s I had, had the thickest spine, 5.5 -6mm out the handle IIRC.

I really appreciate the 5mm+ spine out the handle, with my neck grip style, super comfy to push down on the spine.
Dang, you have some very fine knives!

Yeah, curious on what the Kaiju weight would be with handle. My associations with 'workhorse' have been a heavier knife.

The 240 Wat I have weighs in at 267g, I consider the Wat as being quite a workhorse type of knife.

IMAGE 2020-09-30 16:32:50.jpg

Yeah, curious on what the Kaiju weight would be with handle. My associations with 'workhorse' have been a heavier knife.

The 240 Wat I have weighs in at 267g, I consider the Wat as being quite a workhorse type of knife.

View attachment 96923

my Toyama 270 SS clad blue is about 230 - workhorse like or lite. My Togashi-Tosa blue is 260 gm - but too refined to be a workhorse, maybe. My Koubuse style, 240 mm Swordsmith made Gyuto is 307 gm - that I think is a workhorse for sure

Hi, it would be great if someone could buy me one.

Thanks

my Toyama 270 SS clad blue is about 230 - workhorse like or lite. My Togashi-Tosa blue is 260 gm - but too refined to be a workhorse, maybe. My Koubuse style, 240 mm Swordsmith made Gyuto is 307 gm - that I think is a workhorse for sure

From what I’ve seen, a WH should have about a gram per mm roughly, I.e. 210g for a 210mm or 240g for a 240mm. If a 210 falls below 200g or a 240 falls below 220g, or 270 falls below 250g, it’s more of a middle weight territory IMHO.

From what I’ve seen, a WH should have about a gram per mm roughly, I.e. 210g for a 210mm or 240g for a 240mm. If a 210 falls below 200g or a 240 falls below 220g, or 270 falls below 250g, it’s more of a middle weight territory IMHO.
That’s a cool way to look at it - simplifies it

Retired people like us living on pension and social security are saving a lot during the COVID lockdown. So an occasional expensive knife purchase doesn't sting as much as before and the Fujiyama Kaiju does look pretty spectacular.

Weirdly enough I’ve saved more cash during this strange and difficult time. Like Spaceconvoy said no travel no entertainment. And no need for new shirts and pants. And my wife spent much less on clothing, shoes and Sephora, too. And she’s become generous regarding my knife spending since she understands its boring to stay home all the time. I hate the pandemic but I love my wife more.:)

Weirdly enough I’ve saved more cash during this strange and difficult time. Like Spaceconvoy said no travel no entertainment. And no need for new shirts and pants. And my wife spent much less on clothing, shoes and Sephora, too. And she’s become generous regarding my knife spending since she understands its boring to stay home all the time. I hate the pandemic but I love my wife more.:)

Same😊😊😊

Latest posts

Back