Konosuke Kaiju

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s crazy how well Konos & Hito have situated themselves with slick marketing and using the drip feed method to prey on this feverish but small sector. They really have the western market’s number dialed.

That being said I’ll see you guys on the keyboards Saturday morning 🤣

Thats about $500 more in USD over the Konosuke Kaiju from what I've seen.

Is there any mention on when these knives will be released at Tosho Knife Arts or To Go?
On IG Kosuke says they are available for sale the 3rd of Oct, but to find out, you will better email the shops.

Oct 3rd. Listed on the original launch post.

I heard the same, there are a very limited number of knives and they are going to be at bleep to go and tosho / ai & om starting Oct 3rd.

It’s crazy how well Konos & Hito have situated themselves with slick marketing and using the drip feed method to prey on this feverish but small sector. They really have the western market’s number dialed.

The main reason I don't care much about their products. They feed on hype frenzy. The knvies might well be great, but I don't like the approach.

The main reason I don't care much about their products. They feed on hype frenzy. The knvies might well be great, but I don't like the approach.

And how is this different than many other makers? The list is very long of makers that are using the approach of "Post knife on instagram, build hype, sell one only, repeat"

And how is this different than many other makers? The list is very long of makers that are using the approach of "Post knife on instagram, build hype, sell one only, repeat"
I am not saying there are no others, but these two are the prime example. If someone gives heads-up for weeks and then brings like one knife a week or even less, it is just building up a hype. We are not talking about one man workshop like most western (and some Japanese too, of course) makers who just sell all they can make, we are talking about a brand or a dealer/wholesaler where multiple craftsmen are involved in the final product who then brings a few knives to keep the exclusivity up.

The recent Togo Reigo releases are an excellent example. They keep finding fresh stock of the unicorn vintage 'Swedish' steel judging by the regular trickle of product appearing for sale after stating this is it, no more, supply is exhausted.

The recent Togo Reigo releases are an excellent example. They keep finding fresh stock of the unicorn vintage 'Swedish' steel judging by the regular trickle of product appearing for sale after stating this is it, no more, supply is exhausted.
By they, you mean Tanaka-san and a couple of other blacksmiths that make plane blades that have access to it?

The tried & true Beanie Baby “limited edition” marketing strategy, still works.

By they, you mean Tanaka-san and a couple of other blacksmiths that make plane blades that have access to it?
Not just the Tanaka version. Tosho sold at least one Kono Togo Reigo recently

The tried & true Beanie Baby “limited edition” marketing strategy, still works.
Rolex too. Pump up the hype bubble and trickle release of desirable models. Works amazingly well for them, and as a charitable foundation with no shareholders to appease or profit targets to meet, they are able to adopt this business strategy

Respectfully, I think you have a rather cynical and shortsighted viewpoint of Konosuke’s Kaiju marketing.

Personally, I love the well thought out and executed marketing strategy of Konosuke. Quality is important to me–I respond to good photography, well written text, effective design and sophisticated design used to sell a product. I also value and appreciate creative fields of work, whether it’s the skills of making knives, or the keen eye and knowledge that does into being a graphic designer, or the savviness of a writer. My viewpoint perhaps shaped by knowing many in the creative field, and understanding how difficult it is making a living as knife maker, writer or designer—and being ready to acknowledge a well made knife or well made marketing. Yes, as I said, quality counts.

The website is understated and elegant, photography sexy, writing is well crafted.

Fact is. A big company has the financial ability to commission the best forger and sharpener they can find—and also hire a talented designer, writer, etc.

All knife makers use marketing to either sell their knives direct or grab attention of vendors to do the grunt work of selling—some use knife fairs, others rely on social media, others might pass around knives to chefs hoping for traction from word-of-mouth.

TBH, there are many knife makers who I love dearly for the great knives they produce—but when it comes to marketing, it is cringe worthy amateur hour—IG feeds treated in the most pedestrian fashion; barely functional websites; poorly worded descriptions doing an injustice to a knife they put heart and soul into; etc. Other makers I know have a more advanced understanding of how the market has changed, and the importance of creative collaboration—general rule is, if you can’t write or design well, hire a designer or writer to use their expertise.

With the current buzz around the forthcoming Kaiju, this particular thread perhaps more effective than Konosuke marketing in stirring up hyperbole to a specific niche market that will actually buy the knives.

The Kaiju marketing I’ve seen—a few IG posts and info on Konosuke website is admirable and thorough. They have done their research, listened (read) to knife users—identified a desire and market for ‘workhorse’ gyutos, brought together two highly revered craftsman, to produce a knife—thus capturing the imagination of a good number of knife collectors on KKF. They’re not cheap knives, but I’ll wager they sell out very quickly—the $600+ for them an appropriate price IMO.
Until I get a Kaiju in my hands, I obviously won’t know if the hype is justified or not, and don’t see any ‘red flags’ in the marketing that feels deceptive or overstated (see Misen). I’ve seen the occasional deception and misinformation be individual KKF BST.

When you say “…feed on hype frenzy,” you make Konosuke sound so predatory, making knife buyers seem like lemmings. You’re perhaps not giving enough credit to the knowledge of buyers, to those on this KKF who’re excited about Kaiju—I’m confident that the majority of members here willing to spend $600+ on a Kaiju will do it with eyes wide open.

Good business sense is that if you invest a lot into a product, you also invest into marketing that product.

Last edited:
When you say “…feed on hype frenzy,” you make Konosuke sound so predatory, making knife buyers seem like lemmings. You’re perhaps not giving enough credit to the knowledge of buyers, to those on this KKF who’re excited about Kaiju—I’m confident that the majority of members here willing to spend $600+ on a Kaiju will do it with eyes wide open.

I understand when large companies make fancy videogame trailers which are completely misleading, just for the purpose for creating a huge amount of hype.

But in this case we're talking about a rather niche hobby with historically bad marketing so a nice website isn't an unwelcome thing.

@DitmasPork - you are making some good points and I am willing to partially backtrack from my position. But at the beginning Konosuke were making some really nice knives at a price point that was 'normal' for the quality and they knives were not being made in a single digit numbers. Today they are often made as unobtanium, everything around them is secret like a 'special steel' or how they are made. I agree about the presentation (and it indeed does bring value). In other words - the target group seems to be more collectors than users who appreciate a high quality tool. Whether this will be the case for Kaiju I don't know. Value of certain product (and especially in such a non-essential product category) is very subjective and for me when look at Konosuke I see a brand, not the craftsmen and in this regard it is little different from many other brands that just did not market themselves in such an exklusive manner. All this says nothing about quality and I am not in a position to discuss that.

@DitmasPork - you are making some good points and I am willing to partially backtrack from my position. But at the beginning Konosuke were making some really nice knives at a price point that was 'normal' for the quality and they knives were not being made in a single digit numbers. Today they are often made as unobtanium, everything around them is secret like a 'special steel' or how they are made. I agree about the presentation (and it indeed does bring value). In other words - the target group seems to be more collectors than users who appreciate a high quality tool. Whether this will be the case for Kaiju I don't know. Value of certain product (and especially in such a non-essential product category) is very subjective and for me when look at Konosuke I see a brand, not the craftsmen and in this regard it is little different from many other brands that just did not market themselves in such an exklusive manner. All this says nothing about quality and I am not in a position to discuss that.

Admittedly, I'm a relatively new collector, buying my first J-knife around 2011, give or take. Honestly, I've not paid much attention to Kono and not a Fujiyama fan (sold mine), but intrigued by Kaiju since I prefer workhorses.

I always take any marketing with a grain of salt, as I assume many that purchase $500+ knives also do—usually able to see through the fairy dust to the substance. Example is Misen, a knife brand with arguably one of the more aggressive and sophisticated marketing campaigns—which KKF members have mostly written off as a mediocre knife.

I do respect and appreciate where you're viewpoint is coming. Mine partially comes from the desire to want knife makers to make a decent living—whether selling direct or working for Konosuke. With Kaiju, they've set a pretty high bar, at least on paper. Even the inclusion of finger stones a nice perk that others might follow.

Depends who has the fast hands. Maybe a week or two from those who just want to try it out. But if they end up in the hands of collectors, then not for a long time.

These are blue steel correct? I would assume that as long as they are not swedish steel they can be made more frequently than their rare variant

These are blue steel correct? I would assume that as long as they are not swedish steel they can be made more frequently than their rare variant
I believe a small number of knives were sent to bleep to go (is getting Blue 2), and Tosho / Ai & OM (are getting Blue 1)

as to these being unobtainium I think the unobtainium aspect of the brand is a byproduct of the successes in marketing and their ability to deliver quality to the consumer that holds enough value for the consumer to keep coming back. Its a good problem to have in my mind.

Back