Konosuke Kaiju

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is the performance better compared to Fujiyama FM 240 mm (white or blue)?
Overall performance advantage is based on difference and depends what you’re doing. Kaiju is a lot heavier than my Fuji’s, giving a different feel. For onions, potatoes and general cutting the difference in grind and weight lends to better food release and ease of cutting. I prefer the tips of the Fuji’s for more detailed work such as shallots, but in general Miss the Kaiju is just a dream to cut with

I just got the FM blue 2 270 mm and before that I got the Blue 1 FM (baby Kaiju) from Tosho. These knives are incredible performers, at less than $430-$495 per knife, depending upon the size and handle

Both of these knives are incredible cutters, the Tosho “thicker” version - WH type, is outstanding

I think the FM’s are a flatter profile, though I have not done a side by side comparison with Kaiju

I believe the Kaiju is a step above in fit and finish and slightly above in cutting ability -‘the knife is astoundingly good in performance at a home kitchen

It is not a laser

But there is something called soul, and I would say, that you may find in a Kato or Toyama or Shig or TF, etc. Hard to describe, and this is subjective may vary from person to person - but some knives communicate more “soul” but maybe that is BS and maybe not

But technically, Kaiju is hard to beat

But there is something called soul, and I would say, that you may find in a Kato or Toyama or Shig or TF, etc. Hard to describe, and this is subjective may vary from person to person - but some knives communicate more “soul” but maybe that is BS and maybe not
This is a thing.

I just got the FM blue 2 270 mm and before that I got the Blue 1 FM (baby Kaiju) from Tosho. These knives are incredible performers, at less than $430-$495 per knife, depending upon the size and handle

Both of these knives are incredible cutters, the Tosho “thicker” version - WH type, is outstanding

I think the FM’s are a flatter profile, though I have not done a side by side comparison with Kaiju

I believe the Kaiju is a step above in fit and finish and slightly above in cutting ability -‘the knife is astoundingly good in performance at a home kitchen

It is not a laser

Ill take a soulless performer anytime haha. Maybe you're right, haven't tried those knives yet. But I really like kono.

The 270 FM blue 2 I got yesterday is thicker on the spine than my 240 white 1 and it performs really well. I feel like the food release is also a little better. I made this video in compared to a 210 denka. TBH the denka is already better than how it was out of the box. The soullness I'll have to find out. : p

The 270 FM blue 2 I got yesterday is thicker on the spine than my 240 white 1 and it performs really well. I feel like the food release is also a little better. I made this video in compared to a 210 denka. TBH the denka is already better than how it was out of the box. The soullness I'll have to find out. : p

Looks like the kono clearly outperformes the TF to me. And, btw.... Is that a carrot!! 😲

And, btw.... Is that a carrot!! 😲
I like to test cut with carrots that are at least 5 cm tall as those can tell a lot about geometry (cutting ability and food release). Sweet potatoes in similar size could also be telling but they are expensive. I found potatoes, small carrots, and small sweet potatoes too easy, and big sweet potatoes too difficult.

The 0-2mm behind the edge is very sensitive, I think the FM is thinner and flatter then the denka in that region.
I measured the thinness of the blade at 1 cm above the edge. The FM is 0.8-0.9 mm while the denka was ~1.5 mm ootb. The denka in the video is 1.4 mm after an hour on the stone and I'm working toward 1.2 mm which is about the thinness of Wat and Kato WH at that point.

Reactions: JDC
I like to test cut with carrots that are at least 5 cm tall as those can tell a lot about geometry (cutting ability and food release). Sweet potatoes in similar size could also be telling but they are expensive. I found potatoes, small carrots, and small sweet potatoes too easy, and big sweet potatoes too difficult.
I've never seen that big a carrot in Denmark...! Home grown?

It is not a laser

How to you compare the blue 1 and 2

It is not a laser

Hope to get Konosuke Kaiju soon! I love it! ^___^

The Kaiju keeps getting delayed and I suspect that Konosuke is overloaded with other work and I think that the Kaiju is just too time consuming to produce. Last I heard they might ship early Feb.

a shame.

it would be nice if they could/would just make enough for everyone who wants to buy one at retail to be able to do so. I have the money for one set aside already.

a shame.

it would be nice if they could/would just make enough for everyone who wants to buy one at retail to be able to do so. I have the money for one set aside already.
To the best of my knowledge they only have one person doing the final hand sharpening of the Kaiju blade and he spends up to 8 hours on each blade. This is on top of other sharpening duties he has for their other lines of knives. Konosuke is not a large factory operation and the demand is pretty high considering how quickly they sell out when available.

I just saw this video. Comparing a Fujiyama to a TF is neat, but it's like comparing a VW Beetle to a Porsche (insert your flavor) . Entertaining concept, but the Porsche will obviously win every time. Unless you start to heavily modify the Beetle, which seems to be the theme/need for TF gyutos.

I don't have the Kaiju version, but I do have the more robust FM that came out a couple months prior to the Kaiju intro. Basically the same specs as far as weight and size goes. Very cool knife. And definitely the long awaited (more robust) Fujiyama. Like most knives these days in this price level, it flies through foods. However this FM does so with more ease and finesse, which I suspect is partly due to the extra weight. What I did notice in my minimal time using it at work was that foods loved clinging to the taller blade face. They would typically come off with a flick of the wrist, but there were several times I had to force the stuck foods w/ my other paw. This was surprising to me given my experience with several other Fujiyamas. In fact it was a first for me in this line. I'll say this again though, I only used the knife for a minimal amount of time. Maybe a total of 30 or so minutes. Perhaps I need to use it more, build up a little patina before seeing better results? Once restaurants in the city are allowed to re-open I'll give it some more use. But as of now I may not be sold on it. Awesome cutting power, feels like sugar tits in hand, very substantial at 55mm tall and 224g in weight. But maybe a little too food clingy.

My point is I'm wondering if the Kaiju is the same way, food clingy. With the extra polished finish this could go either way, but I'm thinking that it may very well be.

I just saw this video. Comparing a Fujiyama to a TF is neat, but it's like comparing a VW Beetle to a Porsche (insert your flavor) . Entertaining concept, but the Porsche will obviously win every time. Unless you start to heavily modify the Beetle, which seems to be the theme/need for TF gyutos.

I don't have the Kaiju version, but I do have the more robust FM that came out a couple months prior to the Kaiju intro. Basically the same specs as far as weight and size goes. Very cool knife. And definitely the long awaited (more robust) Fujiyama. Like most knives these days in this price level, it flies through foods. However this FM does so with more ease and finesse, which I suspect is partly due to the extra weight. What I did notice in my minimal time using it at work was that foods loved clinging to the taller blade face. They would typically come off with a flick of the wrist, but there were several times I had to force the stuck foods w/ my other paw. This was surprising to me given my experience with several other Fujiyamas. In fact it was a first for me in this line. I'll say this again though, I only used the knife for a minimal amount of time. Maybe a total of 30 or so minutes. Perhaps I need to use it more, build up a little patina before seeing better results? Once restaurants in the city are allowed to re-open I'll give it some more use. But as of now I may not be sold on it. Awesome cutting power, feels like sugar tits in hand, very substantial at 55mm tall and 224g in weight. But maybe a little too food clingy.

My point is I'm wondering if the Kaiju is the same way, food clingy. With the extra polished finish this could go either way, but I'm thinking that it may very well be.
Except the beetle is much more expensive than the porsche in this example (TF 240 is almost twice as much as a FM 240, right?)

I think there is a certain, almost tangible, "soul" to each knife. Maybe soul might be the wrong word, but at this moment I can't think of one better.
I do believe that this soul is highly biased at times though. It could be influenced on the known/perceived rarity of a knife, as well as the known/perceived value of it. The self-issued vision of an elder bladesmith hunched over a century old forge using century old techniques to create this heavy, rustic blade may play a bit here as well.
Also its current popularity status can help influence this feeling of soul.

For the more robust Konosuke, after reading your comment above, I recalled feeling something similar. So I had to grab it and hold it again to understand. And I do partially agree. It doesn't feel soulless, which I don't believe you were implying, but it does feel cool (not cold). Not so much the warm feeling of an old kindred soul, but more so of a younger, more calculated soul. Instead of a more rustic kitchen tool passed down through the generations it has a more precise doctor scalpel like feel/vibe. This is not a bad thing by any means.

Last edited:
Back