• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Konosuke SKD Tsuchime Gyuto 210mm Laurel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeltee

Reaction score
I picked this up off the other forum so am 2nd owner. It has never been used and is a pristine example. Kono saya included. It was dry when I got it so I hit it with mineral oil. I am selling to cover a vet bill and a few months of meds else I'd never let it go! $325 CONUS
20210528_161347.jpg
20210528_161302.jpg
20210528_161322.jpg

Last edited:
This was originally from CKTG and here are the quoted specs however I will get precise specs (will convert Imperial to Metric) when I get home:
  • Maker: Konosuke
  • Construction: Hammer Forged, San Mai
  • Cladding: Stainless
  • Edge Steel: SKD
  • Finish: Tsuchime (Hammered) Kurouchi (Black)
  • Handle: Khii Laurel Octagonal
  • Edge Length: 214mm
  • Height: 47mm
  • Weight: 5.5oz
  • Spine: 3.5mm

Looks like a Yoshi in Kono-disguise? Or is that just my imagination? Not that that's a bad thing by any means! Looks slick...

Looks like a Yoshi in Kono-disguise? Or is that just my imagination? Not that that's a bad thing by any means! Looks slick...

I think that’s exactly what it is. I think there’s more than 1 kono line that is produced by yoshi. I haven’t handled enough yoshi’s to know what’s typical for their fit and finish but have handle a few kono’s and they have all been really nicely dialed in.

If it was a 240 I’d have a hard time resisting.

I think that’s exactly what it is. I think there’s more than 1 kono line that is produced by yoshi. I haven’t handled enough yoshi’s to know what’s typical for their fit and finish but have handle a few kono’s and they have all been really nicely dialed in.

If it was a 240 I’d have a hard time resisting.
Yes, the other line is Konosuke YS or YS-M, same steel different finish, and Nihei from Konosuke Sumiiro SLD line I think is also learned from Yoshikane.

I’ve only held 2 different Yoshikane by 2 different companies, the fit and finish basically the same for all Yoshikane knives, the only difference is the Kanji and handle choices from different vendors. The knife spec and grind can varies from batch to batch.

For the record, I was only wondering out loud based on the visual simularity of the tsuchime to that I've seen on some Yoshi knives (the sort of... thumb-sized tsuchime that looks better than all the other tsuchime I've seen). Don't take my remark as fact or implication of anything because I've handled neither knife nor do I have any particular clue about any potential similarities. :p

On the SKD hammered, @Jason183 @esoo have you guys seen/used both the konosuke and Yoshikane to compare the grinds on essentially the same knife? For some reason I thought the konosuke was even thinner but maybe they’re the same.

On the SKD hammered, @Jason183 @esoo have you guys seen/used both the konosuke and Yoshikane to compare the grinds on essentially the same knife? For some reason I thought the konosuke was even thinner but maybe they’re the same.
Some Yoshikane are thicker, some are thinner, some had higher bevel, some has lower bevel, IDK why, I guess it’s just different from batch to batch, the YS-M I had has higher bevel more laserish, the first Yoshikane I had has lower bevel more mid-workhorse, liked @esoo said different grind. I even saw same YS knives but one is thinner BTE, the other more thicker BTE. one batch came with 240mm, then a different batch came with 245mm.

Some other brands like Yu Kurosaki, even if it’s same shizuku or Senko line, grind can be different, some are high bevel, some has lower bevel, the cutting feel can be different.
For example:

Attachments

• 06647BCD-A036-4E6D-A4E5-1AEF94D044FF.png
    06647BCD-A036-4E6D-A4E5-1AEF94D044FF.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 6D548ECF-4948-464A-950E-022D110F4110.png
    6D548ECF-4948-464A-950E-022D110F4110.png
    254.8 KB · Views: 15
  • D64849EC-328F-49D7-887F-9D7FA89316B8.png
    D64849EC-328F-49D7-887F-9D7FA89316B8.png
    431.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 0C41B425-825B-4093-98F1-088F560CA8C0.png
    0C41B425-825B-4093-98F1-088F560CA8C0.png
    247.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
This knife definitely thins out at the edge. It has a beautiful distal taper. I tried to capture it but my stupid phone won't focus. I may have to break out the Nikon D4 and 105mm macro. I'm attempting to fix my AC now and it's 95degrees out. When it rains it pours fellas. Damn capacitor and motor crapped out. Good thing I can fix it myself else I'd be selling all my knives and waiting a week for a tech.

It's most likely a Yoshikane, and by looking at the position of cladding line and the width of the edge bevel, I think it's on the thinner side BTE even within the Yoshi products, especially nearing the tip.

From what I understand, Kono is just a brand and many smiths make their knives. I may be wrong though. Maybe that Kurosaki. One of my knives I know this to be true. I have a sweet 270mm Kuro suji as well but it's not as nice as this.

SPF

Here is a stock pic of a Yoshi. The hammering looks similar.
Screenshot_20210614-202320_Chrome.jpg

Yes, the other line is Konosuke YS or YS-M, same steel different finish, and Nihei from Konosuke Sumiiro SLD line I think is also learned from Yoshikane.

I’ve only held 2 different Yoshikane by 2 different companies, the fit and finish basically the same for all Yoshikane knives, the only difference is the Kanji and handle choices from different vendors. The knife spec and grind can varies from batch to batch.

I currently own the YS-M and the Sumiiro. Sumiiro has a thicker spine and is more convex. YS-M is a bit thinner BTE. The YS-M appears to be thinner and lighter than the other Yoshikanes, but not sure about the tsuchime Kono.

I currently own the YS-M and the Sumiiro. Sumiiro has a thicker spine and is more convex. YS-M is a bit thinner BTE. The YS-M appears to be thinner and lighter than the other Yoshikanes, but not sure about the tsuchime Kono.

I have a YS-M and several Yoshi and would absolutely agree. The YS-M feels almost delicate compared to the Yoshikanes. Love them both and the Yoshi are definitely a workhorse.

Back