Konosuke YW?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmoves92

Reaction score
Hello! I am on a long car ride, and I was browsing the “new arrivals” section of CKTG, and I saw two Konosuke YW gyutos. Does anyone have any knowledge or thoughts about these knives? Thanks!

Yep, looks like another Kono with Sanjo dimensions, so Yoshi (or linked ex-apprentice) seems a good bet. Keen price for a Yoshikane, let alone a Kono, mind.

Probably from one of the lesser, less prolific Sanjo smiths, Like Mazaki or someone similar

I was thinking white version of YS, but at that price point it feels unlikely to Yoshikane. Maybe Wakui?
Profile looks all wrong for a Wakui. Looks pretty spot on for a Yoshi though.
Yea it's a very flat profile. Looks like almost 80% of edge is flat. Not so typical of wakui

Pricing is similar to the kashima sanjo at cleancut which they told me was made by yoshikane

Yea it's a very flat profile. Looks like almost 80% of edge is flat. Not so typical of wakui

Pricing is similar to the kashima sanjo at cleancut which they told me was made by yoshikane
I was thinking it had similarities to Kashima Sanjo too...

The profile and choil look like yoshi to me. And it has a nice burnt chestnut handle and ok f&f. If it’s Yoshi it’s a no-brainer $240 knife IMO.

Yeah it would be an absolutely insane deal for a Yoshikane, cheapest by far for this type of config I think (even the Kashima Sanjo is 40ish more, but maybe just due to EU tax). I was quite surprised to see the price, I expected it to be within 50 of the YS. With the Kono tax, it makes me think there’s something else to this.

Aren't they look very similar to yahiko Sanjo white 2#??

think I read they are made by Nihei..

bottom line its look like an amazing deal! would have buy one but its too similar to my yoshikane.

The page says it’s made by someone who made sickles for 35 years. I think Nihei looks pretty young.

i read that the kono YW is made by nihei, he's pretty young..so i suppose it's a different maker.

don't know who is making the yahiko, but This profile is very common in sanjo area

Where did you read that? FWIW the Sumiiro looks similar and is officially made by him.

Maybe I’m confusing with the sumiiro. think i read that in the other forum but it’s not working now🤷‍♂️

i have to agree with you that this is look alike a yoshi.

Konosuke sanjo is a no brainer. Unless you hate the flat profile. Konosuke fine tunes all the knives, although the room for tuning is not as obvious as knives from other regions.

Problem solved. You’ll never see that price again.
4E1D0E97-138A-4675-83CA-76100EC4C2B7.jpeg

Wish I'd snapped one up. They're back in stock, but I'm not tempted at the new prices.

Back