konosuke zdp189 gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oooooooooo it is tempting, but realistically how much is performance going to differ from a standard konosuke?

Which standard konosuke? It would FAR outlast either edge (stainless or whiteII) but it wouldn't keep the scream as long as the carbon. It's closer to the Kon HD but I still think it doesn't scream as long.

so, i had a henckels cermax for a while (still do - never gets used tho) - these powdered steels are crazy-annoying to sharpen [for me]. i like the fresh-off-the-stones feel, and if zdp can't give that same feeling longer than the HD, then what's the point, really?

I'm sure that besides the price of the steel the time grinding and the amount of belts/stone needed for a monosteel ZDP knife factors big time into the high end price. On that Canadian site they even mentioned the Kanji imprint not being as deep as usual due to the steel properties.

Tosho Knife Arts has good prices for Canadian buyers on a good portion of their selection. I checked out a few items, and in general it works out to be just a bit less than what it would cost to order from the US and ship up here. Of course, there's tax and if you're not in Toronto there's domestic shipping to add on as well.

I'm not sold on the ZDP version of the Konosuke gyuto for myself, but I'm glad the option is out there.

No tax being charged yet so..good time to buy

Oh, really? Prices are tax-included? Nice!

Too bad there isn't anything I need to get from their selection at the moment. Need? Want? Ah, whichever :)

Considering the 20% chromium content.... nope. Would be a pain in the ass to work with, a ***** to thin, and a whole lot more expensive.

Differentially hardened? Zdp189 is stainless and fully hardened

Well, while the japanese community seems to accept the honyaki label for homogenously hardened monosteels, it confuses the rest of the world :) Why not just call it a "god-perished steaming ZDP189 monosteel bastard" then - I'm sure whoever has to thin it will describe it in a very similar manner.

Where does the madness end! What kind of HRC does a honyaki zdp get?

Can get up to HRC66. I've not really had interest to try it; SG2/R2 is enough for me, and it may be partly willful ignorance, but I don't really know why I would want more.

Considering the 20% chromium content.... nope. Would be a pain in the ass to work with, a ***** to thin, and a whole lot more expensive.

Zdp has very high carbon. So that 20% chromium gets tied up in carbides. It's not stainless. The Zdp core in every on I have had takes on a "champagne" colored patina. And there are stories out there of it not liking acidity much (I just use different knives). So..hence my question about a honyaki Zdp and long term corrosion..

Zdp has very high carbon. So that 20% chromium gets tied up in carbides. It's not stainless. The Zdp core in every on I have had takes on a "champagne" colored patina. And there are stories out there of it not liking acidity much (I just use different knives). So..hence my question about a honyaki Zdp and long term corrosion..

Wow... did not know / expect that. I always thought anything with 15% and upwards of chromium would be proper stainless.

Wow... did not know / expect that. I always thought anything with 15% and upwards of chromium would be proper stainless.

Yeah, this is why heat treating is so important.
Depending on how its heated and cooled, all that chromium can end up spread out evenly though the iron to make it 'stainless'... or it could be clumped up in concentrated nuggets leaving the iron around it suspect to rust.

Properly heat-treated ZDP-189 is stain resistant. There are no steels that are 100% stainless.

There are no steels that are 100% stainless.

Not to be pedantic on the linguistics but... of course there is 100% stainless. The question is less than what, and how much less. ;)
But yes, you're correct in the sense that there's no 'rust-proof' or 'stain-free'. Even the German X50 stuff can start to rust and pit when you throw it in the dishwasher often enough.

I only state it that way because you said, 'proper stainless'.

I'm not sure where that definition lies.

I only state it that way because you said, 'proper stainless'.

I'm not sure where that definition lies.
I don't think there is one? Usually it's defined by the chromium and/or nickel content. For me it's more about practical purposes. Suriving a neglected wet night on the board is proper stainless enough. :)

If you define it by the alloying content... ZDP has more than enough carbon in it to be called a cast iron! :laugh:

I believe some standard in the US defines stainless as over 13% chromium, im probably wrong about the details

I mean, Zdp I s pretty darn stainless. Not as stainless as R2 in my experience. Never had Hap40 but sounds similar, corrosion wise. Kono HD sounds similar too (they all patina, not R2 tho). I've never had AEB-L or VG-10 even think about a patina. But I have seen molybdenum (aus8) from misono and MAC "oxidize" (crappy patina). I'm just talking experiences with kitchen stuff from Japanese makers. If you move over to the EDC/ hunting knife world (s90-110v, m390) there is another level of discourse and attributes. Not to mention H1..

Real stainless? H1, F562 et al.... :) Not perfect for a kitchen tool though....

Is HAP40 not considered a semi-stainless?

Do you know how much for the price of that knife. I couldn't find any place have Sukenari ZDP Honyaki
PS: http://www.yanagiknife.com/akazawa-pm-honyaki-zdp189-yanagi-2
I only find another brand carry ZDP honyaki.

I had posted a video in the past, from a sushi knife store in NY if I remember correct.
I don't remember how to find it, or anything more, apart from the fact that they had rolled newspapers cutting them slices with that yanagiba, for about an hour(?), to test the edge retention, and after the hours end, yanagiba kept on cutting

I had posted a video in the past, from a sushi knife store in NY if I remember correct.
I don't remember how to find it, or anything more, apart from the fact that they had rolled newspapers cutting them slices with that yanagiba, for about an hour(?), to test the edge retention, and after the hours end, yanagiba kept on cutting

[video=youtube;dB1Lf6OekEk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB1Lf6OekEk[/video]

Latest posts

Back