Korin Exclusive Togiharus

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's up with these spendy Togiharus from Korin?

Here's the description from the site:

"Togiharu Limited Edition knives are hand forged in Seki City by Hiromune Takaba, a renowned cutlery master. Takaba-san is most known for his katana, which typically sell for upwards of $20,000. The handles are crafted from a variety of materials including petrified wood, stag antler and mammoth tusk by Koji Hara. Hara-san is one of the top knife craftsmen in Japan."

And the prices are from $1,660 to $2,600. If you go to GILT Taste Korin sells a couple of Togiharu sujis with stag antler and petrified wood handles.

k.

Good lord. A mystery steel(let's just be nice and say it has a FABULOUS HT), a pinned bolster, and a curly maple handle. All for the low price of a used car.
W.
T.
F.

I have never seen a good deal from GILT Taste. Also see no reason for those to be so highly priced.

What a funky handle... Western style by the bolster and then it's like they slapped a Wa style handle on the back end. I guess they'll say it feels better to hold that way, but man is it ugly (imo).

What a funky handle... Western style by the bolster and then it's like they slapped a Wa style handle on the back end. I guess they'll say it feels better to hold that way, but man is it ugly (imo).

I didn't even notice that!

I retract my praise from earlier.

Pass.

I have never seen a good deal from GILT Taste.

You are correct on that. GILT Taste always has the same price as you can get everywhere else. I just noted it here because they had two versions of the exclusive knives that weren't listed on the Korin site.

k.

OK. So for the price of TWO Masamoto Honyakis and more than enough cash left over to get a few nice stones or one really kick-ass natural? I'm sorry but can't really see how different they are so I also would pass. Nice though.

I think I got one of the few exceptions to this. I got a $50 gift certificate at LaFrieda meats for $25 through Gilt Taste.

Burgers, Prime Aged NY Steaks and Bacon were delivered today. :dance:

You are correct on that. GILT Taste always has the same price as you can get everywhere else. I just noted it here because they had two versions of the exclusive knives that weren't listed on the Korin site.

k.

Back