Kramer Zwilling 10" Chef's Knive arrived

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I bought a ZK Kramer 52100 10 inch a few month ago 'cause I liked the design and I guessed I would never own a real Kramer and so I gave it a go while the carbons are still more or less avaiable and I'm pretty pleased with it.

Fit and Finish is really damn good. No shrinkage in the wood or anything whatsoever. Only flaw is that the blade has a slight bend to one side near the tip. Doesn't concern me much as the bend is only quite "moderate" so I didn't noticed at all in the beginning, just after taking some picture for the german knife review. Just saying, might concern someone...

But overall can't agree more... good f&f, good steel with decent ht, nice comfy handle. Only thing that it lacks for me is food release. But that's probably my only criticism.

I've had this knife for five years now. It's a great knife. I originally set the bevels at about ten degrees and it's a great cutter. I use a loaded strop from time to time and have only had to take it to the stones two or three times in five years.

Just a few more comments. I have three ZK 10" chef's knives, 52100, Damascus clad SG2, and AEB-L Essential. I also have a real Bob Kramer 52100 9" chef's knife to compare to the ZKs. I haven't seen any scale shrinkage on any of them. The distal taper from the bolster to the tip and from the bolster to the heel are very similar for all four knives. I think that the heat treatment for all of these knives is also very similar, excellent. I think all the ZKs are good buys.

Just a few more comments. I have three ZK 10" chef's knives, 52100, Damascus clad SG2, and AEB-L Essential. I also have a real Bob Kramer 52100 9" chef's knife to compare to the ZKs. I haven't seen any scale shrinkage on any of them. The distal taper from the bolster to the tip and from the bolster to the heel are very similar for all four knives. I think that the heat treatment for all of these knives is also very similar, excellent. I think all the ZKs are good buys.

never owned a real kramer but - I agree with deanb - I owned 8" of Zkramers 52100/ R2/ AEB-L versions at the same time for several months. All are "good" knives.
Though they are the same profile, they dont behave as not the same knife with different steel.
handle is biggest on the R2 - blade is thickest on 52100 - and the AEB-L, for me has the best tip for detailed work.
Gosh, I wish the 10" versions made it up here to Canada a little easier, one zwilling rep told me they were only bringing 75 10" 52100's to canada :(

To those who have the 52100 and the AEB-L, which one do you prefer? I've read the 52100 gets sharper...

Gosh, I wish the 10" versions made it up here to Canada a little easier, one zwilling rep told me they were only bringing 75 10" 52100's to canada :(

I spoke with WFE in Windsor, ON as well as Zwilling Canada... apparently they are discontinued in Canada effective sometime in 2014/2015, it would be nice if they brought them back. After the issues with my first one I had to order from Cutlery & More, but fortunately there was a 20% off sale at the time

I read this thread months ago and was finally able to stop by a Sur la table to check out the zwilling Bob Kramer 10" carbon.

I really liked the knife. I don't have a knife with a handle similar to the Kramer so it was a little different, but I liked it. The only issue I was thinking about was if I needed the 10" , or if I would be happier with the 8". I have other 240mm gyutos but I usually gravitate to smaller knives because of board space. My concern is the size of the handle being too large compared to the size of the knife. Does anyone know if the smaller 8" has a slightly smaller handle? Or are they the same size?

I read this thread months ago and was finally able to stop by a Sur la table to check out the zwilling Bob Kramer 10" carbon.

I really liked the knife. I don't have a knife with a handle similar to the Kramer so it was a little different, but I liked it. The only issue I was thinking about was if I needed the 10" , or if I would be happier with the 8". I have other 240mm gyutos but I usually gravitate to smaller knives because of board space. My concern is the size of the handle being too large compared to the size of the knife. Does anyone know if the smaller 8" has a slightly smaller handle? Or are they the same size?

I can't comment about the 8" chef's knife, but the bread knife handle is the same size as the 10" chef's knife. When I had the slicing/carving knife, the handle was smaller than the 10" chef's knife

EDIT
Also had the santoku, handle was fairly large too, I want to say the same size as the 10" chef's knife, but don't recall for sure. I also had the 90mm Parer… it was much smaller ;)

8" ZK Western chef knife handle is same as 10". Actually the 6" as well (but not the case for the Meiji 6").

My concern is the size of the handle being too large compared to the size of the knife. Does anyone know if the smaller 8" has a slightly smaller handle? Or are they the same size?

Personally I find the 8" handle size is well matched. The 6" western handle proportions are a little bit weird, admittedly.

I'm tempted to wait for the Meiji line to come out. But from what I gathered it's a waiting game, correct? There is no official release date yet from googling the topic as far as I can see. The only change would be to the handle for the Meiji?

what what what there is a new zkramer meiji line coming out? do you have any links?

I just read the comments in this thread and others were saying that when Kramer released his line with Shun he did an exclusive with Sur la table and then released a Meiji line with everyone else. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

If this happens once again I'm tempted to wait.

Several years ago Bob Kramer had an arrangement with Shun for both the Euroline and Meiji knives. That arrangement no longer exists.

Currently, Zwilling is making Euroline knives in monosteel 52100 and FC61 stainless, and in SG-2 core damascus, and the Meiji line in FC61 core damascus. I have not heard anything about a monosteel Meiji line in the works, though a lot of forum members would jump on a Meiji in 52100.

At the present time, Sur la Table has exclusive rights to the Meiji line. The Euroline damascus was a Sur la Table exclusive when it was first introduced, but after a period of time, they were sold by other vendors, like Cutlery & More, but there wasn't any reduction in price. If you want a Meiji damascus, I'd say go ahead and get it, as the price isn't likely to go down.

I couldn’t wait! Meijification!
IMG_1556.jpg
IMG_1555.jpg

Back