Kurouchi suji - any benefits?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are there any practical benefits in a suji with kurouchi finish, compared to a polished / migaki finish? In regard to food sticktion / stickage, food release, etc?

I'm looking for a 240 or 270 suji to use on raw and cooked protein, as a pure slicer.

One of the options is a Heiji direct. I was talking to Nakaya and he can do both migaki/polished or KU finishes. Since all of my knives are polished, I was considering a KU just to have something different. I was wondering if there were any practical benefits to it as well. Also, is it really relevant, since Heiji's already have great food release to begin with (low bevels and all)?

PS: I'm not talking about nashiji kurouchi finishes, or KUs with lots of texture... Heiji's KU seems very even in texture, almost like a "dark migaki", similar to Kato, Shig and Watanabe KU finishes.

Thanks!

Probably minimal, if any. It depends on the profile. If you’re doing a Heiji wide double bevel, then I doubt the upper finish will matter.

If you are doing a convex profile, then it might make a little difference depending on the height and the grind. But even then, I would imagine the difference is small, if any.

Ultimately here, I’d get what you aesthetically prefer.

Last edited:
A suji is so short at the heel, and we're talking more about proteins too, food release really doesn't even come into play here. A KU finish may drag a little more in the cut but that highly depends on the actual knife and quality of the finish.

Are there any practical benefits in a suji with kurouchi finish, compared to a polished / migaki finish? In regard to food sticktion / stickage, food release, etc?

I'm looking for a 240 or 270 suji to use on raw and cooked protein, as a pure slicer.

One of the options is a Heiji direct. I was talking to Nakaya and he can do both migaki/polished or KU finishes. Since all of my knives are polished, I was considering a KU just to have something different. I was wondering if there were any practical benefits to it as well. Also, is it really relevant, since Heiji's already have great food release to begin with (low bevels and all)?

PS: I'm not talking about nashiji kurouchi finishes, or KUs with lots of texture... Heiji's KU seems very even in texture, almost like a "dark migaki", similar to Kato, Shig and Watanabe KU finishes.

Thanks!

Heiji's ku is quite smooth. IMO, there's no performance related effects of kurouchi vs migaki.
Although, if you're getting a carbon clad suji, the ku will help protect cladding from rust.
63C3BDB9-B01C-4ED7-B2C9-C922C2EAA877.jpg

Last edited:
Heiji's ku is quite smooth. IMO, there's no performance related effects of kurouchi vs migaki.
Although, if you're getting a carbon clad suji, the ku will help protect cladding from rust.
View attachment 194253
Man that gyuto is sexy… you do have a Heiji migaki gyuto also, right? Do you see any difference in grind / thickness?

Man that gyuto is sexy… you do have a Heiji migaki gyuto also, right? Do you see any difference in grind / thickness?
The Heijis I have are a semi-stainless suji; and a carbon, ku, gyuto. Difficult to compare, since they’re different knife types. Although the suji, which is Gesshin Heiji definitely has much better f&f than the gyuto.

The Heijis I have are a semi-stainless suji; and a carbon, ku, gyuto. Difficult to compare, since they’re different knife types. Although the suji, which is Gesshin Heiji definitely has much better f&f than the gyuto.
Ah, I had the impression you had both KU and migaki gyutos but I’m probably just confused lol…

The KU is beautiful, I’ll probably go with that for the suji. Thanks!

Back