Laser gyuto for professional kitchen recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lasers that I've liked in a pro kitchen have always been 270's. Just a little more ass to them and to me that helps with the light weight of a laser. Gesshin Ginga, Kono HD and Suisin IH K-tip were favorites. Still have the Suisin - it would glide through a bowling ball.

The lasers that I've liked in a pro kitchen have always been 270's. Just a little more ass to them and to me that helps with the light weight of a laser. Gesshin Ginga, Kono HD and Suisin IH K-tip were favorites. Still have the Suisin - it would glide through a bowling ball.

Do you tend to cut these along or against the finger inserts?

Ok ok…

When I went from 240 mm to 210 mm it had exactly the same effect on me as if I had shed 10 kg before a marathon. But it's up to you i respect this choice. I had a 240mm munetoshi gyuto if you like kuroushi true true true laser INCREDIBLE LASER knife it's not expensive and robust can find kasumi finish i'm pretty sure. But idk in texas. It's on JNS. And you have a kiritsuke version. The only good 240 i tried.

I have never heard munetoshi described as a laser?? The Honyaki are supposed to be quite thin, but you are referring to the kuruochi . They seem like they are far from lasers. I’m not saying they aren’t good cutters. I don’t know. I don’t have any. But that doesn’t make them a laser. I know the term is subjective, but this seems like a stretch to me.

I have never heard munetoshi described as a laser?? The Honyaki are supposed to be quite thin, but you are referring to the kuruochi . They seem like they are far from lasers. I’m not saying they aren’t good cutters. I don’t know. I don’t have any. But that doesn’t make them a laser. I know the term is subjective, but this seems like a stretch to me.
I agree, all of the one's I've had were far from lasers. I found them to be on the thicker side of medium (1.0mm/1.5mm @5mm/10mm). Similar to old school Mazaki.

I agree, all of the one's I've had were far from lasers. I found them to be on the thicker side of medium (1.0mm/1.5mm @5mm/10mm). Similar to old school Mazaki.

Yeah just sharp. And inexpensive, a bit to wide. Kasumi would be more in the laser category. But i recommend it to everybody. Sorry a bit out of topic

I was expecting more Yoshi SKD in this thread. It's basically a laser with a fatter spine, but it has the flat profile you ask for. SKD should have better retention than all the white steel. in the world Generally seperates root veg as well as the 'true' lasers.
The only thing against it is that I always perceived mine as a bit delicate though - although this might be entirely unjustified and between my ears.

Thanks everyone for the suggestion i got a list of knives i got to study now before i buy myself an early Christmas present.

So far the list of reqs:
Yoshi SKD/White
geshin/ashi ginga
Matsubara blue #2
Kono HD
Kono YS
shibata kashima

Anything else i should consider?

Didn't Kono HD not have the greatest edge retention? Not sure, I could be confusing it to something else? And the profile ain't that flat for sure.

I have my fair share of lasers and Kono HD never made the list for those reasons.

But if it's ok to have some curve in the profile, then Ikazuchi is one I would gladly add to my arsenal.

I have a S. Tanaka 240 migaki laser gyutos in B2 and ginsan and those are my all time favorite lasers, but they were a small trial batch from K&S. Which I jumped on the minute they hit the store.

I believe James decided to opt for the more middle weight version for the current batches, but you could ask him if there's a laser thin one in there some where? The grind and profile of my Tanaka migakis actually looks almost identical to the Ikazuchi.

I have the S.Tanaka nashiji in B2 and ginsan. Profile isn't flat and they aren't lasers, but almost cut like lasers due to the super thin behind the edge high concave grinds.

One more vote for the Yoshikane SKD. Another "not really a laser" that has the performance and nice edge retention too.

I have a S. Tanaka 240 migaki laser gyutos in B2 and ginsan and those are my all time favorite lasers, but they were a small trial batch from K&S. Which I jumped on the minute they hit the store.

I believe James decided to opt for the more middle weight version for the current batches, but you could ask him if there's a laser thin one in there some where? The grind and profile of my Tanaka migakis actually looks almost identical to the Ikazuchi.

I have the S.Tanaka nashiji in B2 and ginsan. Profile isn't flat and they aren't lasers, but almost cut like lasers due to the super thin behind the edge high concave grinds.
KnS has a new batch of migaki Tanaka B2s. Profile seems flatter than the Nashiji and it is thinner. Much better finished than the prototype ones that you and I had as well.

KnS has a new batch of migaki Tanaka B2s. Profile seems flatter than the Nashiji and it is thinner. Much better finished than the prototype ones that you and I had as well.
...You had? ...Seriously, ...HAD?? Meaning, not any more? :angiefavorite:

The Tanaka migaki laser B2 and ginsan, that I have, the F&F are really nice with fully rounded everything and K&S ebony handles. With those heavy handles both weigh only 175g which is not much for a 240.

In the first two batches back in the day James had two different versions. The laser thin one and the middle weight one that was in the 200g region (similar weight to my Nashiji versions which have also rougher finish). Which migaki did you have?

Tanaka gets some criticism sometimes about too curvy edge profiles, but out 8 (I think) ones I've had only had very small issue with one and that got fixed almost by itself with in two sharpening session. The new batch does look flatter still which is no bad thing.

The new batch definitely could be a one more good option here if they are thin these days. And nothing I've come across has been as smooth on the stones as a Tanaka B2 and the edge retention is decent as well.

Last edited:
...You had? ...Seriously, ...HAD?? Meaning, not any more? :angiefavorite:

In the first two batches back in the day James had two different versions. The laser thin one and the middle weight one that was in the 200g region (similar weight to my Nashiji versions which have also rougher finish). Which migaki did you have?

The new batch definitely could be a one more good option here if they are thin these days. And nothing I've come across has been as smooth on the stones as a Tanaka B2 and the edge retention is decent as well.
Well, I still own it but it's out on longish term loan to a mate who is a lefty. I figured with a laser, he wouldn't have to pay the lefty performance penalty. I still get to sharpen it every few months, though and I agree, Tanaka B2 is good stuff. The only smoother B2 I can think of is Akebono from Shiraki (possibly forged by Nakagawa, I guess).

On reflection, I think that mine was a prototype of a thinner B2 version which was not finished as well as the production migaki models. Still had the rounded spine and choil though.

I also have one of the new ones and it is extremely well finished. Its profile and grind remind me quite a bit of Akebono. A lot of knife for the money.

I really like the Matsubara. You get the thin geometry behind the edge, but they tend to come in on the tall side, so you get the benefit of some added weight. The one I had was as if you took one of the thinner SS Watanabe, and shaved off another 30g.
I want to second this. I have the Matsubara 240.rhe heavy version. It's a tall beast but incredibly thin behind the edge. If I need to. Do allt of veg, that comes out. Top notch everything. Caveat: am home cook.

What about Toyama ? Laser ? Or Y Tanaka ? Searching something for proteins and sushi rolls

What about Toyama ? Laser ? Or Y Tanaka ? Searching something for proteins and sushi rolls
Toyama SS is on the thinner side of medium grind. It's about 0.7mm/1.2mm (@5mm/10mm behind edge). Compared to something like a kono fm which would be more lasery at approx 0.55/0.85mm at the same distance behind edge.

Well, I still own it but it's out on longish term loan to a mate who is a lefty. I figured with a laser, he wouldn't have to pay the lefty performance penalty. I still get to sharpen it every few months, though and I agree, Tanaka B2 is good stuff. The only smoother B2 I can think of is Akebono from Shiraki (possibly forged by Nakagawa, I guess).

On reflection, I think that mine was a prototype of a thinner B2 version which was not finished as well as the production migaki models. Still had the rounded spine and choil though.

I also have one of the new ones and it is extremely well finished. Its profile and grind remind me quite a bit of Akebono. A lot of knife for the money.

My Ginsan was a production version from the second batch, maybe? My B2 was also pre production version without kanji, only stamp, that James had laying around, but he put a full K&S treatment on it before shipping it. I'm holding on to mine because they might not be made again ever?

That new version though does peak my interest. Nothing much these days does as I'm actually really happy with my selection. Though another Tanaka from B2 with SS cladding and flatter profile is intriguing.

Last edited:
Toyama SS is on the thinner side of medium grind. It's about 0.7mm/1.2mm (@5mm/10mm behind edge). Compared to something like a kono fm which would be more lasery at approx 0.55/0.85mm at the same distance behind edge.
Mine is maybe 2-3 months old and weighs 227g. I'd say the one I have is more on the fatter side of middle weight. Definitely not a laser, but the grind is outstanding and cuts really well. Really happy I got a fatter one as that's what Toyama made his reputation with.

But many have talked about their Toyamas being in the 200g range which would make them closer to (lighter) Middle weight side of things. Just a heads up that the range can be pretty wide.

Mine is maybe 2-3 months old and weighs 227g. I'd say the one I have is more on the fatter side of middle weight. Definitely not a laser, but the grind is outstanding and cuts really well. Really happy I got a fatter one as that's what Toyama made his reputation with.

But many have talked about their Toyamas being in the 200g range which would make them closer to (lighter) Middle weight side of things. Just a heads up that the range can be pretty wide.
Yea, for reference, mine was 215g out of the box

Wouldn't call Toyama a laser by any stretch, although it has a very nice convex grind. My stainless clad 240 was ~205g, I'd call it the heavy side of middleweight.

I had petty and it was for me ultra thin knife. My knife setup are:

Jiro 270 mm love this knife but for sushi is too thick
210 Sukenari HAP40 use it for acids but also too thick to precise cutting
Searching something special in 230 - 250 mm range. Laser ultra thin with nice look :) I expect flat profile for katsuramuki and other sushi stuff (yanagiba and usuba are not for me)

Wouldn't call my Y. Tanaka a laser either. Nice knife and it still does root veg well, but if you really want a laser because you're doing a ton of root veg I don't think it's the winner.
It's actually a bit like the Sukenari.

I had petty and it was for me ultra thin knife. My knife setup are:

Jiro 270 mm love this knife but for sushi is too thick
210 Sukenari HAP40 use it for acids but also too thick to precise cutting
Searching something special in 230 - 250 mm range. Laser ultra thin with nice look :) I expect flat profile for katsuramuki and other sushi stuff (yanagiba and usuba are not for me)

Shibata, Kei Kobayashi, Takamura, Ashi Ginga, Suisin Inox Honyaki. Obviously no gyuto is going to be as flat or precise as a yani for sushi though.

I have a 240mm Munetoshi. Now if this is a laser I will have to reconsider all my perceptions regarding kitchen knives. Anyway, it is an awesome cutter and steel is amazing. Hard to find best value for the money, maybe Kaeru at the same level.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back