Lasers- current state of play

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would add the Kono Ginsanko on the list, the knife was thin similar to Suisin IH. I just regret not order 270mm instead get 240mm.
Besides that how about the Sukenari ZDP steel, anyone using the knife compares to the laser, I think maybe the next gyuto to order if I need to buy another knife.

Oh...the Ikazuchis are great lasers, very very underestimated.
I own 2 (210 and 240) and they have the best edge retention of all my lasers, for sure!

And I have them all: Ginga, Kono HD2, Kono GS, Sakai Yusuke, Suisin Inox Honyaki, Misono UX10...

Yes the Sakai Yusuke special thin white steel was one of my favorite lasers. I like the mono steel Sakai and Stainless Ginga for thin knives. I sharpened, put finish on handle & saya of Ikazuchi 210 & 240. I can't believe how thin those san mai AS core blades are. The 240 has a wild clad line. You can let it patina naturally or etch it.

Welcome mister Stnakamu :=)

A bit of a humor please don't take it the wrong way:

You are a necromancer?

I have used some knives that are very thin behind the edge but I don't think I've ever used a true laser. Not sure if I need to scratch that itch or not.

How are lasers defined (is it by weight or is it just a case of "you'll know it when you see it"?)

From my reading, the list of knives that I would recognise as lasers is:
Suisin IH
Gesshin Ginga
Sakai Yusuke
Kono HD/HD2 (?no longer available)
Kono GS/ GS+
FRKZ Swedish
?Red handle Takamura Pro.

Did I miss any? Did I include any that I shouldn't have?

Any opinions about the lasers that you have used (especially sharpenability, edge retention and cutting performance)?
You missed Makoto Kurosaki R2 series. Excellent laser performers for a great price that should definitely be on this list.

Yep, second life for this thread! Strong conjuration magic going on here.

In the 2 plus years since I started this thread, I have bought a Kurosaki Shizuku R2, which is almost a laser. It's laser thin at the edge but a little thicker at the spine than most lasers. This makes it more robust feeling and gives better food release but a little more wedging in tall foods. I personally prefer the thicker spined thin knives (Akebono, Shizuku, Kippington Laser).

I tried having a whole arsenal of lasers, but I ended up letting all the classical lasers go while keeping the Shibata Kashima, which I felt outperformed the others (Tadatsuna, Suisin IH, and I forget which other but not a Ginga) as well as the Masamoto KS its profile is based on. I like the Tanaka and Akebono, as well as Takamura Pro in the category described by Nemo above. Haven’t tried a laser by a smith such as Kippington though.

Latest posts

Back