Lasers?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Hz_zzzzzz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But the very name itself suggests a knife that goes through product with very little resistance. If you have a laser that wedges it doesn't make any sense.
I didn't say anything about the last part; for the actual cutting performance / experience it's largely irrelevant anyway.

I'm not saying we should only look at BTE thickness, I get that. But I think you need to consider a combination of both; spine thickness and thickness behind the edge. Because the very name implies that it should at least be something that goes through product with very little resistance. How can you call something a laser when it doesn't? 🤷‍♂️
I think CKTG explained it that they use the “laser” word because the knives are laser cut into shape?

Jovidah

Reaction score
By that definition even Wüsthof axes would be considered a laser... I don't think the production method is a very informative way to describe knives.

Hz_zzzzzz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
By that definition even Wüsthof axes would be considered a laser... I don't think the production method is a very informative way to describe knives.
My definition is thin and light (<2.5mm and < 125 gram without handle for a 240), and wusthof won’t be light. If by any chance they become thin and light I think they can be called lasers.

Ruso

Reaction score
But the very name itself suggests a knife that goes through product with very little resistance. If you have a laser that wedges it doesn't make any sense.
I believe a phrase “cut like a laser” and “laser knife” should not be put into same basket.
The first talks about a knife performance. A thick knife with great geometry can cut like a laser.
The second is a category/type of a knife. Laser knife can cut like an ox.
My 2p.

JaVa

Reaction score
There are no set categories and everyone will have their opinion. Since there's no real rules, everyone is right, I guess?

Still, having said that,
cuts like a laser and thin as a laser are two different things.

If a knife is very thin, it's a laser, but even if it's not it can still cut like one.
Well anyway, that's how I see it.

edit. Ruso just beat me to it. :D