Leatherworking health hazards?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nugnugs

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm starting to get into leatherworking to make knife sheaths. Materials and tools are coming in next week, and at this current point in time I have exactly 0 experience in the matter (kind of a learn as I go sort of thing).

I'm wondering if there are any carcinogenic or any other health hazards associated with this? A google search only outlines health risks in leatherworking factories and stuff like that, but I have not found any content pertaining to small handiwork projects.

I'm asking because I also work at a school. Our school has a workshop where students can go in their free time and create whatever they want. I'm courting the idea of setting up a leatherworking station there to make small things like wallets etc., and I'd like to know if this is viable without any industrial grade ventilation or anything like that.

"Leatherworking" is not a precise enough term in this case
to tell risky from non-risky activities apart.

like many industries (chemistry)
is in the prep/processing steps

are not always as inert/benign as
the finished goods.

The riskier parts of "working" with leather
involve tanning of the hides and what not

obviously they are treated to be ultimately safe
to wear or to touch after tanning.

the use of dyes and colorants is probably
more of a intermediate ground.

Have on old monster Pfaff 130..works for sail-making & thinner leather
Can often get a great deal on those units - look around...they've lasted over a century & still work!
As for leather preserving/conditioning, always use the thick red "Ko-Cho-Line"..nothing better!

Back