LEFTIE Deba 165-180

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppy

Reaction score

Australia

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Deba

Are you right or left handed?

Left - but wondering how I’d go with a rightie Deba? Most lefties are strongly ambidextrous. Paying Left handed premium for Deba is frustrating.

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Japanese octagonal

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

160-180mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

No upper limit. Would prefer a premium to join my other knives and to add further kn

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

home use.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

trying to eat more fish and learning better fish butchery

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

none

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch or standard.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

N/A

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Prefer non-white. Had a bad experience with a Mazaki. Prefer blue

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

No preference but doubt standard Deba are lightweight. Would like high fit and finish and to be able to add smaller matching one to the collection.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

N/A

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

Happy to sharpen at will. Minor consideration

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

bamboo currently moving to synthetic rubber?

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Have any lefties decided not to pay the premium for the lefty version and used therir right hand. How did it pan out for you?

I’ve looked at Masamoto KA and JCK Fu Rin Za Kan Blue so far.

Thanks. I saw the photos and they looked great….but got mixed messages on Reddit that were a bit older.

It sounds like they have improved their F&F perhaps?

out of interest which size did you go for?
If you haven’t brought the knife yet, I strongly recommend you get the FR KZ , FRKZ lefty F&F really top notch . I own few lefty knives from FRKZ. One of the best value.

Back