• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Legendary level Okudo Ocher sunashi suita (8Kg total)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valgard

Stones Addict (terminal case)
Reaction score
FOR SALE:

Specs:

220x85x80mm above the base

8Kg with base.

Heirloom, once in a lifetime stone. I’m putting up for sale the craziest stone in my collection, in fact, the craziest stone I have seen in person or for sale anywhere. Stuff like this comes along only once in life if you’re lucky, this stone is huge, beautiful, and perfect as a user.

Okudo Ocher sunashi suita that’s just plain humungous, never seen such a big chunk of suita that’s also so clean, not even a single su line in all 80+mm of the stone. The stone itself is 220x85x80mm above the base (there’s some stone inside the base but not sure how much). Stone has a really beautiful interplay of dominant ocher warm tones with some blue-ish gray. Sides are as clean as they could possibly be. The stone is a perfect knife or tool stone, very fast, has a feedback that can be described as a mixture of chalky and creamy as you can feel the stone doing work but it is very smooth at the same time. Did I mention it’s unbelievably clean?

The hardness of the stone is somewhere between lvl 3 and lvl 3.5, which in my opinion is just perfect, it will make a little bit of mud and then ride that mud, by no means a mud bath kind of stone, but also soft enough that you don’t need a nagura with it.

Finish of the stone is scratch-less, and it finishes quite fine if you work up the mud for a while but it starts out probably around 8K and go up from there. Please, take the grit estimates with a grain of salt as I didn’t do any rigorous estimation, rather better to judge from the pictures and if you’re really interested I can produce more close-ups. Finish can be described as silky in my opinion, not the harshly reflective type or the very foggy type, but it has a bit of both and it also reveals some nice details in the cladding. The stone also makes the cladding very dark, giving a very strong contrast between cladding and core.

And then there’s the base! The base is a piece of art by itself, hand carved base and custom made for the stone, it fits it snuggly. The combination of the base and the stone are so beautiful that I have it as a piece of decoration in my livingroom and my wife didn’t have any objections about it.

Price: $4500 including shipping and PayPal fees.

Please, do not send low ball offers, that’s how much it will take for me to let go of the stone. This is a stone I will never be able to replace.

56bea4980c212436a99f0e39853c09ec.jpg

1b9cbb1b561fa5a68443642766db2b7b.jpg
2d7ce9f1ce4221fcc4a216037bb03dcb.jpg
4a48d643bb208f9db4ef3db02a12b98a.jpg
f16275cc8a89a2908be70214f1813a35.jpg
10fb32621defc93107eeea0f78b71533.jpg
dc5df9704d0d44dcde34771dc63f97d8.jpg
373289a3d1efe89442cfb3655bc66b5a.jpg
800ba8864e0133799c93c3878a41fafb.jpg

picking up my jaw.... good luck Carlos. I really wish I can afford it just for artistic value...

What a beast! And a very pure sunashi to top it off. Hard to imagine stones like this still even exist. Someone will be very happy. GLWS!

I have bought a number of stones from Carlos; his descriptions of the stones have always been spot on, and they have been of the greatest quality. Buy with confidence!

One of the true grail stones. Its pretty remarkable even witnessing it being sold.

It's like seeing a piece of fine art being sold. A family heirloom.

Carlos is a great guy to deal with. If you have that kind of spare cash lying around wait no more.

Just adding my voice to the list of extremely satisfied customers of Carlos.

I have a decent number of stones but my absolute very very best have come from Carlos (the top three actually!)

This one is a true museum piece.

(Re attaching the main photo as the wheel thing was doing my head in on the mobile app)

IMG_0155.jpg

Whoa I can see the reflection of your face in the stone as you’re using it. Is that common?
In the video? Not something I have paid too much attention to but the fine grained stones can be relatively reflective, I imagine having some water on the surface night help. But the short answer s that I have no idea [emoji28].

Whoa I can see the reflection of your face in the stone as you’re using it. Is that common?
Just re-watched the video. The reflection is definitely a combination of a very smooth surface with a layer of water on top and the right lighting and camera angle, not necessarily a special trait of this particular stone. Any stone that's not thirsty, put in the same conditions should yield a similar reflection to some degree.

Are you interested in partial trades? Knives and or stones? I have been fascinated with this stone for years from one of your previous posts.

Are you interested in partial trades? Knives and or stones? I have been fascinated with this stone for years from one of your previous posts.
Hey man, my primary motivation is cash but definitely open to partial trades for the right stuff. To be honest the money is mostly going right back on knives and stones. Hit me up on the PMs to see what you have in mind.

Hey man, my primary motivation is cash but definitely open to partial trades for the right stuff. To be honest the money is mostly going right back on knives and stones. Hit me up on the PMs to see what you have in mind.

Would have loved to see successive shots of the stone and whiskey, with the whiskey getting a little more empty each time. Pretty stone and I know zilch about jnats.

Back