lets have a new razor thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what can you tell about this Gillette? How old it is? Is it any good for shaving?
AD47DDF1-4F43-45A1-8B7C-63A82495B9B8.jpeg

Anyone have experience with the razor sold by Watanabe? Seems like made by bunch of different black smiths.
https://www.kitchen-knife.jp/special/razor.htm
I have two razors matching the description. Stamped "New Azuma" and "Yazuki steel." They are very good razors that take an excellent edge, worth your time. I didn't pay that much for them, but mine were used, and his are NOS, so the price seems reasonable.

Anyone have experience with the razor sold by Watanabe? Seems like made by bunch of different black smiths.
https://www.kitchen-knife.jp/special/razor.htm
That one looks pretty good with out a lot of hone wear on the omote or back side. That is pretty much what I look for. I stay away from the ones that have been roughly reground or the omote wiped out.
Of the handful of vintage I have everyone of them are excellent.

My friend is in NY and he is on the edge of falling into a razor rabbit hole… where should I send him?
I think some nice soaps etc. might help.
Also any barbershop what would you recommend?
(for now, he is into razors like inferno talking about and he has no brush or nice soap)

My friend is in NY and he is on the edge of falling into a razor rabbit hole… where should I send him?
I think some nice soaps etc. might help.
Also any barbershop what would you recommend?
(for now, he is into razors like inferno talking about and he has no brush or nice soap)
Soap is very personal with the scent but a nice brush maybe with a big shaving bowl would be a great gift for someone starting out. It will be useful whether they stick with safety razors or get into straights

These two unusual profile Bengalls, complete with a pretty smart case, popped up on FB Marketplace the other day for not a huge amount of $.

Just received them and I’m rather pleased - they’re in very good condition and shouldn’t take long to get to working order. The second, horn-scaled, one is particularly nice I think.

7DE3B59C-7D4E-4B34-AACE-37D55E7FCFD7.jpeg

D162F7FD-1B01-4AFD-AFAB-C3044EFD9BB7.jpeg

1ECB3EBF-370A-46D6-9BA6-E7335CF9D41F.jpeg

43077D25-38AF-441A-B2FF-5FA96B2798C3.jpeg

1D6DB539-D7A4-4D4A-852D-18E0A18C8043.jpeg

These two unusual profile Bengalls, complete with a pretty smart case, popped up on FB Marketplace the other day for not a huge amount of $.

Just received them and I’m rather pleased - they’re in very good condition and shouldn’t take long to get to working order. The second, horn-scaled, one is particularly nice I think.

View attachment 186519

View attachment 186521

View attachment 186522

View attachment 186523

View attachment 186520
Very nice score! I've never seen a shoulder shaped like that before.

Very nice score! I've never seen a shoulder shaped like that before.

You mean the weird kinda growth at the heel on the first one? Yeah - I hadn't seen that before either, but a friend on B&B then sent a pic of a couple he has like that too. Dunno what it's for though!

Yeah, it's definitely different. I've never seen one like that before. How much did they cost you?

Yeah, it's definitely different. I've never seen one like that before. How much did they cost you?

$80 Aud (55 USD) for the pair, which ain't too bad I don't think :).

Bengalls are really excellent razors, but relatively common here in Aus compared to a lot of places it seems, so you can often find them quite cheaply. I think I've got five now, and those two were the most expensive.

$80 Aud (55 USD) for the pair, which ain't too bad I don't think :).

Bengalls are really excellent razors, but relatively common here in Aus compared to a lot of places it seems, so you can often find them quite cheaply. I think I've got five now, and those two were the most expensive.
Yeah man, that's an excellent price, especially for the size of the razors.

Yeah man, that's an excellent price, especially for the size of the razors.

They're both a kind of generous 6/8, rather than being very big. I do have a 7/8 Bengall, and a little 5/8 too.

There is a b&b thread about this particular razor. Don't know if you saw it
https://www.badgerandblade.com/foru...hronicle-volume-4-ward-bros-melbourne.295238/

Ta! I did actually stumble across that after I bought them and was doing some research. Looks like the heel bump remains a bit of a mystery, apart from apparently it's going to make it annoying to hone. Perhaps why the style didn't catch on!

You mean the weird kinda growth at the heel on the first one? Yeah - I hadn't seen that before either, but a friend on B&B then sent a pic of a couple he has like that too. Dunno what it's for though!
Just decoration and style, more than any practical purpose, as far as I know. Like fins on an old Cadillac.

Hi folks
I was given this razor and started tryin to clean it up a bit. Thinking about using it but it's an heirloom so I don't want to trash it tryin to 'restore' it. I've watched vids and read about straights still got some learning to do. There's a small spot, pitting/rust, that I'm not sure about. Don't know. Just 'flitzing' it for now.
So anything you folks can tell me would be helpful...TIA

Attachments

• PXL_20220709_193556347.jpg
    PXL_20220709_193556347.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220709_193630063.jpg
    PXL_20220709_193630063.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220709_193657761.jpg
    PXL_20220709_193657761.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 0
Hi folks
I was given this razor and started tryin to clean it up a bit. Thinking about using it but it's an heirloom so I don't want to trash it tryin to 'restore' it. I've watched vids and read about straights still got some learning to do. There's a small spot, pitting/rust, that I'm not sure about. Don't know. Just 'flitzing' it for now.

Looks to be from around 1900-1920. Tidioute was a very famous cutlery capital from the 1890s-1930s. I think that the Tidioute Cutlery Co. became Ka-bar and moved to Olean, NY.

https://iknifecollector.com/m/group/discussion?id=3181080:Topic:1160237

Cool @stringer ! Still some rust I'm going to get rid of and need to peen it a bit more to tighten it up but yeah, gonna give it a try. I have a long beard and just trim around the edges. I looked at some of the info about Tidioute and that's really cool stuff, thanks.
Another journey into shhhharp objects !
One more question...I have all types of hones, Arks (I think one of all of them at least), Coticules, Thuringian, Jnats, just leather strops (several) some with green CrO and clean, mostly used for chisels , plane blades, carving tools and of couse knives. If there's a good thread for beginners maybe someone can point me to- or suggestions maybe ?
Thanks

Cool @stringer ! Still some rust I'm going to get rid of and need to peen it a bit more to tighten it up but yeah, gonna give it a try. I have a long beard and just trim around the edges. I looked at some of the info about Tidioute and that's really cool stuff, thanks.
One more question...I have all types of hones, Arks (I think one of all of them at least), Coticules, Thuringian, Jnats, just leather strops (several) some with green CrO and clean, mostly used for chisels , plane blades, carving tools and of couse knives. If there's a good thread for beginners maybe someone can point me to- or suggestions maybe ?
Thanks
Not really on here. Badgerandblade.com is a more razor centric forum.

I have some videos on my YouTube but not a whole lot of explanation.

https://m.youtube.com/user/garfilo1
Bevel set

Honing

Stropping

Shaving

Hi folks

Nice!

I like the triangle box Nortons too. Between the LW and the Hard Ark you'll be able to take that razor all the way through to working very well indeed.

Thanks

Here's one I've been meaning to upload. I usually wear a beard too. Straight razor is perfect for maintenance.

I’ve been looking for an inexpensive travel DE razor that shaves well my face and head. Shaving my head without any cuts has been rather challenging. Today I got a bunch of old Gillettes had my best shave so far. That white Slim Twist has the perfect blend of aggressiveness and safety for my head. It also came with a hard case.

Those Swedish straight razors came together with the Gillettes. I really like how the the etched straight razor looks. Unfortunately it has all that damage.

Attachments

• 602AAE7D-98F0-4C7A-A233-3353E2939476.jpeg
    602AAE7D-98F0-4C7A-A233-3353E2939476.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
DE's are not very good for head shaving imo. i usually do the heavy lifting with them if i have a week or 2 on my head.
my favorite is the gamechanger jaws .84. its uncloggable. but you still need to scrub for it to work.

and then when thats done i use a disposable. because its like 10 times faster than a DE on the head.

i remember using a straight on my head about 10 years ago and even that was better than a DE.

Latest posts

Back