lets have a new razor thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey y’all. A Toyota Corolla straight razor, that I could find on yabe for less than 100USD.

What do you suggest? Orrrrrr…. What can be shaken loose from your box o goodies?
The question always is: can you restore the razor, and are you comfortable judging from the pictures whether you can restore the razor?

If so, I think Wade and Butcher is a good answer to this question. Solid shavers, plenty of them available at good prices.

As for my box o goodies, I once got in trouble here for saying I had something available on a non-BST thread, so...maybe make a WTB on the BST?

The question always is: can you restore the razor, and are you comfortable judging from the pictures whether you can restore the razor?

If so, I think Wade and Butcher is a good answer to this question. Solid shavers, plenty of them available at good prices.

As for my box o goodies, I once got in trouble here for saying I had something available on a non-BST thread, so...maybe make a WTB on the BST?
Messages work also to keep from being in BST jail.

I’ve got some but I'm not a fan of DEs. If you need to quicky take down some heavy growth, then they are or can be fine. Otherwise lets be real any decent modern cart runs circles around these things in every objective measurement. I've been using a straight razor lately and I find it quite enjoyable. Got myself a 6/8 theirs half hollow waiting in my mailbox that I need to go grab. I'm excited to try that that. Welp. I grabber er. I love it already. Now I need to get some better scales to put on this thing.

Attachments

• 76F41FDC-7E43-44AC-A8F1-58475C1A4846.jpeg
    76F41FDC-7E43-44AC-A8F1-58475C1A4846.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Hey y’all. A Toyota Corolla straight razor, that I could find on yabe for less than 100USD.

What do you suggest? Orrrrrr…. What can be shaken loose from your box o goodies?

I was gonna say - for $100 you'll be able to get a really quite good vintage razor and to ping Stringer a message, but I see that's already been covered. :)

Will this be your first straight B...?

I was gonna say - for $100 you'll be able to get a really quite good vintage razor and to ping Stringer a message, but I see that's already been covered. :)

Will this be your first straight B...?
Yup. I’m keeping it strictly vintage. I wanna be @stringer when I grow up.

Yup. I’m keeping it strictly vintage. I wanna be @stringer when I grow up.

Ah nice! Yeah - most vintage straights are very good indeed when properly honed up. Which isn't necessarily as difficult as some people like to make out, but does take a little while to get a feel for. And it's generally a good idea to get your first razor from someone who knows how to do it properly so you have something to aim for in the future.

---

Here are a couple of old Sheffields I picked up very cheaply recently, both of which are great now I've cleaned them up a bit.

Ivory Stewart Dawson. This was actually part of a 7 day set of which there were three left. The other two are both beyond repair (or at least my inclination to try) so I'll just save the scales from them to put on other razors:

IMG-2703 (1).jpg

Horn Thomas Turner:

IMG-2641.jpg

Ah nice! Yeah - most vintage straights are very good indeed when properly honed up. Which isn't necessarily as difficult as some people like to make out, but does take a little while to get a feel for. And it's generally a good idea to get your first razor from someone who knows how to do it properly so you have something to aim for in the future.

---

Here are a couple of old Sheffields I picked up very cheaply recently, both of which are great now I've cleaned them up a bit.

Ivory Stewart Dawson. This was actually part of a 7 day set of which there were three left. The other two are both beyond repair (or at least my inclination to try) so I'll just save the scales from them to put on other razors:

View attachment 213576

Horn Thomas Turner:

View attachment 213577
Both are really beautiful but man do I like that Dawson, very nice!

Oh man. I didnt realize barrister and mann did that.

Ive got to admit im out of the loupe with artisan shaving soaps.

I can never really be one of those people who complains that their partner doesn't support their hobby. My spouse rolls her eyes sometimes when the eBay packages pile up 3 and 4 at a time outside. But she encourages me to pursue my interests and wants me to have space to work on my razors and knives and stones and display them and have them out to show people and talk about. And so I have been working on how to do that. Thought I would show my approach. Not sure where I'm going to put them. But I have found these old walnut pipe stands are super prevalent in antique stores around me for pretty cheap and they make great man cave razor stands.

This one is the Boston Brahmin set.
PXL_20230125_205817979.jpg

This set features razors whose scales are made from a pale colored historically harvested animal derived material that is not bone or horn.

PXL_20230125_205836966.jpg

These are all razors from my favorite brand, Friedmann & Lauterjung, aka Electric Cutlery Co.

PXL_20230125_205949065.jpg

And these are Sheffield razors

PXL_20230125_205954407.jpg

And for those that made it this far. I made a new honing video. There is a cat in it. But she is not harmed in any way. The AI picked a creepy still geez.

I can never really be one of those people who complains that their partner doesn't support their hobby. My spouse rolls her eyes sometimes when the eBay packages pile up 3 and 4 at a time outside. But she encourages me to pursue my interests and wants me to have space to work on my razors and knives and stones and display them and have them out to show people and talk about. And so I have been working on how to do that. Thought I would show my approach. Not sure where I'm going to put them. But I have found these old walnut pipe stands are super prevalent in antique stores around me for pretty cheap and they make great man cave razor stands.

This one is the Boston Brahmin set.
View attachment 221695

This set features razors whose scales are made from a pale colored historically harvested animal derived material that is not bone or horn.

View attachment 221696

These are all razors from my favorite brand, Friedmann & Lauterjung, aka Electric Cutlery Co.

View attachment 221697

And these are Sheffield razors

View attachment 221698

And for those that made it this far. I made a new honing video. There is a cat in it. But she is not harmed in any way. The AI picked a creepy still geez.

Nice. Lab test tube racks work well too.

yeah that pitting looks like bad news. looks like its a very thin full hollow too. not much meat on there. i try to avoid these really thin blades just because of this.

hope it works out.

IA couple of real nice flea market finds today. Including a 1930/40s Filarmonica. View attachment 225151
Super beautiful Filarmónica! I have sharpened several but Especial has something really special, that steel is already far superior to subsequent productions. Excellent find, it seems at least 24mm, the pitting does not seem deep at all, the steel is so good that it sharpens even on a brick. have fun :)

A couple of real nice flea market finds today. Including a 1930/40s Filarmonica. View attachment 225151

You found a basically untouched 1st Gen Fili in a flea market?! Blimey.

And if that wasn't enough... you know those scales are original right? One of a few different animal-themed limited editions they did on some early razors. Very collectable / sought after I believe. (I read something about it B&B, but can't remember exactly what).

You found a basically untouched 1st Gen Fili in a flea market?! Blimey.

And if that wasn't enough... you know those scales are original right? One of a few different animal-themed limited editions they did on some early razors. Very collectable / sought after I believe. (I read something about it B&B, but can't remember exactly what).
I started honing it today. Judging by the hone wear it has never been used. I'm at about 600 laps or so on the SP1500. Still a couple little spots of pitting but it will clean up fine. I would have paid $100 cash for it no questions asked but luckily the guy didn't know what he had.

I don’t play with razors often, but this afternoon thought I should. So I got out every yellow stone I have just for good measure! Very amateurish at this razor thing but I’m sure after a playing around with lots of fine stones I’ll get something to work for me haha View attachment 225307

Good you've got the Les Lat slurry stone in there, help speed up all those jnats a bit... ;)

Latest posts

Back