lets have a new razor thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was pretty attracted to the simplicity of kami style blades when I started straights, but then you have to add a way to store the razor and the simplicity is gone. Conventional scaled razors are like folding pocket knives. A fixed blade is arguably a better knife, but a folder is just too practical.

Huh! It is obvious now that you say it... but I had never thought of that! Interesting. I guess a little box or saya would do the trick... still, that is an interesting practical consideration.

Yeah, Which is sad.

Wow! That is disappointing. Seems like pretty basic QA. Sorry about that. Hopefully the other geometry is ok!

🙃

Conventional scaled razors are like folding pocket knives. A fixed blade is arguably a better knife, ...
For ordinary knives, this is usually true, in terms of stability and strength. But razors don't fold the same way as pocket knives, and a razor with scales is exactly as stable and exactly as strong as one without.

i actually prefer the kamisoris just because they dont fold. i feel its easier to handle it.
with the folders you always have those scales flopping around around somewhere.

i actually prefer the kamisoris just because they dont fold. i feel its easier to handle it.
with the folders you always have those scales flopping around around somewhere.
With the scales at 90º to the blade (at least the way I shave) the mass of the scales helps stabilize the shaving angle. Actually elegant IMO. I find the scales handy for safely closing the razor between passes. I'm either shaving, stropping, or the razor is closed.

Last edited:
Wondering if the collective wisdom can shine a light on something. I’m also interested in straight razors to reduce waste. I know the cost savings angle is self-deception.

Picked this up as a first to learn on. It’ll get shaving sharp, but doesn’t shave as well as a safety razor or a Harry’s. It eventually does the job, but not terribly comfortable. I’ve worked it over with blue, yellow coticules, black Ark, translucent Ark, wet and dry for all, leather strop with 1micron diamond, plain balsa. Can’t seem to get that HHT sharpness.

I realize that I may have a lot more to learn on the sharpening, but also curious to know if anyone has an instinct on whether this razor is worth putting more work into, or maybe upgrading to something else.

For posterity, wanted to follow up on this.
Listening to Chuckles and Stringer, I invested in an honest-to-goodness hanging razor strop with good cotton strip as well.

What a difference.

After some more careful work, the stainless razor is now tree-topping leg hair easily, and tree-topping arm hair, though I need to hold it a bit closer to my arm (no skin contact though). So yeah, lesson learned.

i finally finished my ultrafine. it was quite warped from factory, and it had tons of stray particles that i simply knocked off with a sharpmaker rod.

but now its completely flat on both sides, 1 side coarse, 1 side UF (dmt 325 as final finish). i did most of the work with SiC powder in different grits.
took maybe 15-20 minutes per side. and then like 30 minutes on the dmt. the stone makes a zing sound on the dmt.

the finish now on the fine side is shiny but not like a piece of glass.

uf done.JPG

Two quick questions about razors.

Is there an equivalent razor to something like a Victorinox knife? Looking for a no-frills recommended starting point on a budget.

Also after watching some youtube videos about jnats it seems to me that when sharpening a razor, all that is required is to lay it flat so the edge and rounded spine section are both touching and just go from there. Even when "setting a bevel". Is there more to it when it comes to razors or are they relatively simple to sharpen?

Gold Dollar, but it's a project razor most of the time, unless someone else did it first.
I'd say older not so famous razors or kamisori are still better and affordable.
About how the razor sits, if the razor has a decent geometry, you're in business. But often enough, that's not happening. So you might read about rolling X-s, one inch honing, convex stones and so on.

starting to think about shaving my head again. i used to have a shaved head for many years but now the last few years i just use the trimmer.
i feel my iwasaki needs to be put to work.

also @stringer can you provide us with a list of your razors that you seem to have accumulated? and which ones you think are good?

starting to think about shaving my head again. i used to have a shaved head for many years but now the last few years i just use the trimmer.

also @stringer can you provide us with a list of your razors that you seem to have accumulated? and which ones you think are good?

I like Japanese razors the best. They generally have harder steel and heavier grinders. But they are expensive. Sheffield razors look the most badass but don't shave that great for me and are also expensive. The bulk of my collection is turn of the century German blades. I also have a bunch of American blades from New England and New York. Here's a thread I did on my favorite brand on B&B.

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/friedmann-lauterjung-electric-cutlery.585644/

I'm impressed. I've read reports from seasoned straight razor shavers who draw the line at doing their heads. Any tips? I don't need to do that myself right now, but it doesn't take a futurist to predict this trend.

shaving your head is much much easier than shaving your face..

maybe start with a gillette 3-5blade the first 2 times to get a hang of it?

the head is like a ball, and its easy to stretch the skin where needed. you can do it in complete darkness if you want. by feel. the face has lots of weird curves. and its not very easy to stretch all of it. i think its easier to do the head at least. but i did it for about 10 years almost daily.

I plan to do more digging into the jaspers, agates and petrified woods, what I consider post finishers. I am surrounded with the natural occurring material. The biggest problem has been getting it flat enough but I am working on that as well.
The more uniform colored material may be better as color change sometimes marks differences in the stone. Not unlike arks and other naturals.
They produce very sharp and comfortable shaves.

Any Kamisori recommendations (value exceeding price more important than price)? Also a good finishing stone for razors? I shave my head regularly and keep a groomed beard, love my nice trimmers (Babyliss Pros).

Any Kamisori recommendations (value exceeding price more important than price)? Also a good finishing stone for razors? I shave my head regularly and keep a groomed beard, love my nice trimmers (Babyliss Pros).

Iwasaki seems to have the "best kamisori" field all to himself these days. I don't even know who's in second place.

Finishing stone for razors is a much more complicated topic. Among the synthetics, there's a Naniwa 12000 that people like, and also a particular Suehiro 20K, for which the caveat is that, while it is supremely effective at the job, it has almost no feedback whatsoever.

Then we get to the naturals. I cannot speak with any authority about the Arkansas stones and Coticules and jaspers and such, I can only give a warning based on some experience with seriously hard stones: be careful that once you get your edge so perfect that it makes suction against the stone and the water, you do not let it chatter. I've done some edge damage that way.

I use a JNat, but it was seriously expensive, bought from one of the recognized experts on this forum because I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time when it was offered, and I feel fortunate to have it every time I use it, which is often. So that's no help.

There are people out there who say that you can take a green Asagi, a stone I love so much I somehow wound up with three of them, and slurry it with the Big 4 of Nagura types, and do as much with it as you could do with any Kiita or other JNat fine exotica, but I've personally never been able to make that work, try as I might. Maybe with the right tutorial...

Iwasaki seems to have the "best kamisori" field all to himself these days. I don't even know who's in second place.

Finishing stone for razors is a much more complicated topic. Among the synthetics, there's a Naniwa 12000 that people like, and also a particular Suehiro 20K, for which the caveat is that, while it is supremely effective at the job, it has almost no feedback whatsoever.

Then we get to the naturals. I cannot speak with any authority about the Arkansas stones and Coticules and jaspers and such, I can only give a warning based on some experience with seriously hard stones: be careful that once you get your edge so perfect that it makes suction against the stone and the water, you do not let it chatter. I've done some edge damage that way.

I use a JNat, but it was seriously expensive, bought from one of the recognized experts on this forum because I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time when it was offered, and I feel fortunate to have it every time I use it, which is often. So that's no help.

There are people out there who say that you can take a green Asagi, a stone I love so much I somehow wound up with three of them, and slurry it with the Big 4 of Nagura types, and do as much with it as you could do with any Kiita or other JNat fine exotica, but I've personally never been able to make that work, try as I might. Maybe with the right tutorial...
Thanks for the help! This guy Keith V. Johnson on youtube cracks me up and seems to know his **** well. Zero nonsense guy and gives good advice. I guess I have to find a decent deal on a Iwasaki.

Keith a.k.a http://www.tomonagura.com is great!

love my nice trimmers

I have an Andis. It is pretty great. I wanted to buy a Wahl but they only sell pet trimmers locally.

I had several consumer brands that kept breaking after several years. I also dislike batteries running out during a trim - the teeth would bog on my beard. Pulling a bogged trimmer off your beard is always a little painfully funny! I went the other way and decided to try a corded 'commercial' model. The power of the Andis is nice!

Any Kamisori recommendations (value exceeding price more important than price)?

😝

Asking us to judge value for you is somewhat irrational... You will find it difficult to find an Iwasaki that is 'good value'. The shaving community recognises Iwasaki as miniature pieces of high craftsmanship. Their price is set accordingly. For new and used....

Depending on what you mean, value exceeding price is more likely to happen buying a lesser known or unrecognised brand (possibly a second hand one).

There is clear consensus (through market pricing) that Iwasaki are desirable. In case @Rangen's point is not obvious, to make it clear for @Checkpure, 'best' is also a value judgement. Iwasaki are priced in the same way as Kato or Shigefua. You buy them out of an interest in the tradition and to celebrate a lineage of craftsmanship. Best performers? Not necessarily. Best availability? Definitely not. Best value? That is for you to judge... but likely not.

Is there an equivalent razor to something like a Victorinox knife? Looking for a no-frills recommended starting point on a budget.

Hey @4wa1l, my recommendation would be an entry line thiers issard or Dovo. They are not 'bottom of the barrel cheap'... but they are generally no-nonsense, use out the box razors.... (although you'd benefit from your own edge).

just got this one. very smooth and easy going with the feather blades. almost as a mach 3. almost. i started whipping this around like a mach3 after a while and i got about 50 or so minor cuts. but this one is very friendly. i assumed this would be like shaving with a straight. but its much much milder. and much faster, almost like a mach3.

i think i'm gonna shim mine with a used up blade when i have one. to make it cut deeper.
also probably have to drill out the handle to make it lighter. i want it at maybe half as heavy.

the head parts seems to be either cast or MIM. not machined from billet at least. i can see the cast/mim runners.

it still feels like a very good razor. its my first DE razor though.

feather1.JPG

feather2.JPG

also that part that seems to be sticking out of the lower side of the head is actually the bottom side of the head resting on the stone you're seeing. i was shooting at an angle.

took some more pics. hope you can see what i see. those small rings. those are either some casting marks or marks from MIM manufacturing.
and the branding itself is a dead giveaway.

feather 3.JPG

Back