Let's see those sharpening stations!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'll start, here's my current set-up....works OK for me. :wink:

JapaneseKnifeSharpeningdotcom1.JPG

That's a killer looking setup, I wish I had a permanent location for my gear, but at the rate I sharpen it'd be covered in dust lol. I'll unpack from the Rubbermaid bins and get a few pics at some point.

Nice setup there Dave! I need a station were I can sit down too. Are those naturals on the top row? If so, what kind?

Thanks! Yeah those are naturals up top but unfortunately I can't remember what they all are. On the far end are cheap-o's like aoto and closer to the middle and left are Tshusima (sp?) from JKI, some nice ones from Maksim, and a razor stone (koppa) that is great for that work. Sorry that I'm sort of dense when it comes to all the natural stone type names, I just know what works.

Noticed the centering vise & buffing pad on your drill press.

Good eye Keith! The centering vise is a KEY piece of kit - couldn't/wouldn't live without it. The little buffing wheel was just used earlier today. I have a few of these little guys for special jobs that I don;t want to dedicate a buffer too. This particular one is domet flannel (super soft) that I use "as is" (unloaded) to buff handles post-oil finishing. Some handles remain tacky after treatment - this little guy fixes that issue.

i like that rack... gonna have to look into one of those for myself

I've had this idea in my head for years, well something similar actually, but this particular idea clicked for me when I saw a smaller version in catalog and I went hunting. It works great but damn these display type racks cost 3-4x what a regular one costs!

That's a killer looking setup, I wish I had a permanent location for my gear, but at the rate I sharpen it'd be covered in dust lol. I'll unpack from the Rubbermaid bins and get a few pics at some point.

Yeah man post up your set-up, we all like the gear!

sorry, it's boring. but I use it almost daily :)

I posted this somewhere else too

:scratchhead:FullSizeRender 6.jpg

Getting crowded in the Sharpening Kitchen. Need to find space for ancillary functions such as cooking and dishwashing.

Love the 'workhorse' Globalwhatevers in the far right out the back - let me guess, wifey's knives ?

i could have sworn that we did this once already, Oh well!

station & stones:
DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

You know what Chief, now that I see your pictures I think you're right, we have done this before. I remember your Coote! I couldn't find the thread although my search this site skills aren't great.

Nice sharpening station, can't see it enough I say! :)

You know what Chief, now that I see your pictures I think you're right, we have done this before. I remember your Coote! I couldn't find the thread although my search this site skills aren't great.

Nice sharpening station, can't see it enough I say! :)

Here it is:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...-sharpening-station-inputs-and-pics-requested

I see no reason not to do it again, I'll post my humble setup sometime this week… too nice today to be inside taking and uploading pics

You must have a very, very cruisy wife.

+1. My sharpening kit would probably end up in the dumpster if I don't pack it up each time I use it.

Very simple setup, nothing fancy.

When all I need is a simple touchup. I'll do it in the kitchen.
IMG_7957_zpsl8vhrys7.jpg

Or if I have a bunch to do.. I'm usually forced to work in the basement, my little mini commercial sink haha.
IMG_7959_zpsn7cefqkb.jpg

All of them in full view.
IMG_7960_zpsdurggeql.jpg

When I'm all done, it all has to go back into my little modded case. I'll try to air them out as much as I can though.
IMG_7958_zpstrrkcmfp.jpg

Not gonna lie. It does come in very handy sometimes.

Not mine, but a friend's. All the stones on the bench are mine and this is where we hangout and shoot the shiz.

Keen eyes will spot the Hoyo in the background. Forgot to include buffing wheels.

Cool place to hang out.

Love the natural stones. I assume one of the large ones is your Thai Binsui.

Do you use the Hoyo for thinning or just edge work?

Cool place to hang out.

Love the natural stones. I assume one of the large ones is your Thai Binsui.

Do you use the Hoyo for thinning or just edge work?

The two big stone are an Aizu and a Numata hyotan, the binsu is next in line and smaller. Then Khao men, yaginoshima, nakayama.

Generally just use the Hoyo for thinning work.

Pulled out the Rubbermaid bins:
F41E470F-64AA-43F6-84F6-32A3A0B6CFD6_zpsklxyo6bo.jpg

I also have a larger bin where I keep random knife stuff like the Naniwa sink bridge I don't use anymore, the extra spacers and tray for the suehiro deluxe stone holder combo from JKI, Chosera stone boxes, extra naguras, etc.

In one bin I cut a horticultural tray to fit to allow air circulation under stones which I wrap in a towel to attenuate moisture release, and leave the lid ajar. Stones are also standing upright while drying, laying flat now as its been awhile…
840E6498-E553-4779-954A-14627737AF47_zps5hxa7nuq.jpg

There's Naniwa Chosera 400, 1000, 3000, 5000, 10000 and a pink brick; atoma 140, 400 plates; Chosera nagura, sharpie, carpenter pencil (to help visualize when flattening stones, this one is all graphite).

In the other bin I have the 1/2 size hotel plans (2.5" and 4", with one lid), anti slip mat, 360° spray bottle, JKI stone bridge (much more compact than the Naniwa sink bridge!) and the majority of the suehiro deluxe stone holder
4301CBF8-1256-4EE6-9C13-D686FA40AD5C_zpsqmppehfl.jpg

I'm probably way too OCD about washing/rinsing things once done to avoid grit contamination, maybe once I a permanent location I'll stop caring

Thanks Dave, that means a lot coming from a pro like you :D

I hope once things settle down I can devote more time to nerding out with the knives and stones

EDIT - I should also thank you for the pink brick, so far the only use its seen was being flattened, but I'm glad to have it for when/if it is needed

Back