lets talk suehiro 3k, hyper 2k, bester 2k and a few more.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inferno

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) <*))))><
Reaction score
So i was thinking about trying out some new "2-4k-ish" stones. i feel these are the sweetspot for common stainless. and a good mid point for high grit stones.
the following are on my radar:

suehiro "classic" 3k, maybe its called ouka
rika 5k
cerax 3k
sigma select 2 3k
king hyper 2k
bester 2k
superstone 2k
kunsuto 3k (didnt really like the 1k though)
pride abrasives 3k (this brand seems to be unknown and untested)

i'm very interested in the bester 2k, the hyper 2k and the suehiro 3k.

so i guess many people own or have owned 1 or more of these.
what finish do they give? what kind of edge? handles powder steels? wear fast or slow? good for kasumi? etc etc etc.

and in the end did you keep it or replace it with something else? why?

My vote is for the Hyper 2k....just because I don't think there is much experience with it at this point. Looks fairly new in the stone world or at least in the West.

Only can say that the Naniwa Professional 2k is suitable for touch ups, gives a more polished and refined finish, not really kasumi like. The edge has lots of bite, stone does not wear fast, good feedback. Does this help?

I have the suehiro 3k and it's a stone I enjoy a lot. I finish on it when I'm lazy, and the edge is sharp, toothy, and long lasting.

Compared to the suehiro cerax 1k, it cuts and forms a burr faster, dishes less, and gives plenty of feedback. It's rather muddy so you can stretch the grit a bit working the slurry. I generally flatten it after every 2, 3 knives. With regards to its performance on stainless steel, it sharpened VG10 fine but SG2 felt glassy. Maybe it was the knife, maybe the stone, maybe me. In any case, I recommend it a lot.

I have the suehiro 3k and it's a stone I enjoy a lot. I finish on it when I'm lazy, and the edge is sharp, toothy, and long lasting.

Compared to the suehiro cerax 1k, it cuts and forms a burr faster, dishes less, and gives plenty of feedback. It's rather muddy so you can stretch the grit a bit working the slurry. I generally flatten it after every 2, 3 knives. With regards to its performance on stainless steel, it sharpened VG10 fine but SG2 felt glassy. Maybe it was the knife, maybe the stone, maybe me. In any case, I recommend it a lot.
Did you just say the Cerax 3k cuts faster than the Cerax 1k? Definitely not right.

Yup, just got Ouka 3k couple weeks ago, pretty nice contrast once you build up the mud. I haven't really tested the edge quality since I use it as a progression for my polishing setup.

Did you just say the Cerax 3k cuts faster than the Cerax 1k? Definitely not right.

I find swarf appearing much faster on my 3k, and the burr forming more readily coming from a 500. Is there a more accurate explanation other than quicker steel removal for this?

@inferno This has been debated sorta recently with Barclid. Emails were exchanged with the manufacturer, who confirmed same product with a different name.

I like the King hyper 2k (also the only one I’ve tried on the list). Gives a good edge. Doesn’t cut fast, but it isn’t disturbingly slow. Seem to work well on many different steels. Gives a good kasumi (or it works great in a progression). Soft and creamy. It dishes pretty fast. But unless I’m mistaken not as fast as e.g. King deluxe 800. Hope this helps!

it seems fine tools has the 3k classic and dictum has the 3k cerax. are these really the same?? i'm not saying you are wrong i just wonder if these are actually the same stone.

https://www.suehiro-toishi.com/en/gyomu/仕上砥石 黄華 3000-dn(台なし)/
https://www.dictum.com/en/suehiro-c...harpening-stone-without-base-3000-grit-711553
Japanese water stones: Suehiro and Cerax | FINE TOOLS first one here.
Yes, it's the same. It's been addressed multiple times, even recently someone not believing me and deciding to contact Okumura-san directly who told them it was the same.

So yes, I'm sure.

I find swarf appearing much faster on my 3k, and the burr forming more readily coming from a 500. Is there a more accurate explanation other than quicker steel removal for this?
PEBCAK. I've tested both of these stones. Occam's razor: your angle was different when you tested each time. Plenty of explanations possible beyond "the 3k stone is faster than the 1k stone."

Yes, it's the same. It's been addressed multiple times, even recently someone not believing me and deciding to contact Okumura-san directly who told them it was the same.

So yes, I'm sure.

sooo, do you think the ouka/3k cerax is a good stone?? thats what i want to know. is it worth getting?

sooo, do you think the ouka/3k cerax is a good stone?? thats what i want to know. is it worth getting?
Depends what you want to do. It's a pretty friable soaker, leaves good contrast cuts pretty fast but also dishes pretty fast as well. Personally I only use it when I'm doing a synthetic wide bevel progression, but I do like it.

I just got a Sigma 2k. Maybe I find some time to use it. These are harder to get, but still possible.
Do you mean the pink Sigma Ceramic 2k? If so, did you get the hard version, or the soft?

I have the hard version and it sheds less grit than an India stone; far harder than the 1k Hard Sigma Ceramic.

Do you mean the pink Sigma Ceramic 2k? If so, did you get the hard version, or the soft?

I have the hard version and it sheds less grit than an India stone; far harder than the 1k Hard Sigma Ceramic.
Yeah, the 1k Sigma Hard isn't all that hard honestly. The 2k pink hard one is though.

I do not have/had many 2K stones, but I have Gesshin 2K and it’s my most used stone by far. I never really had a feel that I need any other 2K. While in many other grit ranges I have multiple stones.

It's white and just by feeling it, it doesn't seem that hard. I'll try to use it a bit tomorrow maybe and see what I have there.

From your list I can only compare a superstone 2000 with a shapton professional 2000, which I think you most certainly have or have tried (?), knowing youve had dozens of stones.

The pro 2000 is way more aggressive and gives an edge with more bite.
By looks, the pro 2000 for me is that range where the edge starts to get a shine. The superstone 2000 already has a more refined mirror shine, with some scratches visible. For me, the pro 2000 is a better starting point for me if I want to go superstone 5000 after. The superstone 5000 polishing way higher then the gritt number (really mirror shine), but the edge kinda feels the same as on the superstone 2000. So pro 2k -> superstone 5k makes more sense for me.

By feel, the superstone 2000 feel less gritty then pro2k, the superstone feels more silky smooth, but no steels feels like its skidding. The superstone will clogg very fast, but makes no slurry, but I rinse every few minutes. The clogging is easily removed though, even with hand under running water. The pro2k keeps very very clean while using.

Related to your Juuma topic regarding my question about how long the surface stays the same after SiC, the superstones (1000, 2000 and 5000) do not change surface at all feel like, the pro2k does a little (but stays grippy). Superstones are soft and not-dense (the pro2k weighs a lot more then the superstone)

I think the superstones are called soakers, but I feel like they are dry within 16-24 hours.

I would buy the superstone 2k if you are looking for a higher finish then the number suggests you.

So yes, I'm sure.

do you know if the shuehiro traditional 6k and the cerax 6k is the same stone aswell with different color/branding?

would any of those (and the cerax 8k) be good for kasumi contrast?

I have the Cerax 3000 and the Rika 5000. I use the Cerax for touch-ups, when a knife starts to dull, but isn't so dull that I would want to go back to my Cerax 1000 with it. The 3000 works fine for that, both with carbon steel and various PM steels. It leaves a slightly toothy edge, so I don't end up gliding on waxy tomato or pepper skins. The stone has nice feel and feedback. It's not particularly hard and dishes a little bit. I flatten it after sharpening maybe four or five knives.

The Rika 5000 is a really nice stone. Cuts fast, has great feedback, and leaves a wickedly sharp edge on carbon steels. (I tend not to use it for PM steels because of the tomato skin problem—the 3000 leaves a better edge for PM and stainless steels, in my opinion.)

The Rika 5000 is maybe a little bit harder than the Cerax 3000. Or maybe it isn't and doesn't dish quite as much because, once I reach that stone, I really only need a few swipes at low pressure to polish the edge from the previous stone. At any rate, wear is not really an issue for me with that stone. I flatten it every now and then, but not regularly.

Back