SOLD Light (152g) 243mm AEB-L Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSicardCutlery

Full-time Knifemaker-Canadian Mazaki
KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Happy Hump-day,

This was an experimental knife, strictly speaking it was a speed an efficiency test for myself, as well as an experiment in new techniques. It's made to be completely utilitarian. It's very thin, and very light. I gave a burnt in dowel fit a try with this knife, which is a first for me, and changed my grind somewhat to extend it up through the neck. In the future I'll probably flush the dowel up completely and may cap it off with a wooden ferrule altogether just for a more tidy look. Despite my best efforts I was unable to remove the finishing wax that nested itself in the crevices around the dowel, however I did seal the end with cyanoacrylate glue before waxing, so it doesn't go very deeply.
  • Blade: 243mmx55mm AEB-L (63hrc) 600 grit hand finish
  • Neck: 20mmx21mm
  • Handle: 128mm, tapering from 25.5mmx24.0 to 23.5mmx20.5mm, scorched oak, oiled and waxed.
  • POB: 45mm from handle
  • Spine: 2.48mm at the neck, 1.46mm at 13cm, .6mm 1cm from the tip
  • Grind: flat to convex
  • Weight: 152 grams
Just a note, the blade looks bent in the spine shot, that's just an effect of the shadow and the angle. I'll get a better picture of it as soon as I can.

Asking $180 U.S shipped

DSC04817.JPG

Attachments

• DSC04818.JPG
    DSC04818.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC04821.JPG
    DSC04821.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC04823.JPG
    DSC04823.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC04819.JPG
    DSC04819.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 94
Is the handle fit up permanent (epoxy) or temporary?

It's epoxied into place, but with no pin, heating the knife to 250 or 275 should make the epoxy soften enough for it to be removed if needs be. Otherwise I don't think it will ever move, I left the tang rough for adhesion strength, and West System is very strong epoxy.

Impressive cutting video - looks like a lot of knife for the money. I prefer a little bling on my blades (tsuchime, ku, etc) otherwise I’d give it a try.

Impressive cutting video - looks like a lot of knife for the money. I prefer a little bling on my blades (tsuchime, ku, etc) otherwise I’d give it a try.

Hey thanks, and thanks for the input.

Knife finally arrived today after USPS lost it for nearly a week. It was securely packaged in bubble wrap and plastic bags, unique but effective! Shipping was prompt on seller's end and tracking number provided. Will be taking the knife to work next week to test it out but very happy with the buying experience thus far.

Knife finally arrived today after USPS lost it for nearly a week. It was securely packaged in bubble wrap and plastic bags, unique but effective! Shipping was prompt on seller's end and tracking number provided. Will be taking the knife to work next week to test it out but very happy with the buying experience thus far.

Oh good! I'm glad you got it finally! I was a little concerned when PayPal showed it being en-route to Schenectady.

Very nice work, the profile is spot on, with great dimensions. If you make another I will buy this.

Thank you very much. It just so happens I have 2 similar knives listed on the sponsor market, both in AEB-L, one with a cherry handle one with ebony capped scorched oak such as this one was, and I'll have another nearly identical to this one listed in the next two days that is also AEB-L and scorched oak, but with a right hand bias to the convexity.

Back