Lines in my Okudo

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by musicman980, Jul 8, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jul 8, 2019 #1

musicman980

musicman980

musicman980

I bought this okudo suita renge from Maxim a while back. It was sold as a "second stone," so I want to start off by saying I am not surprised or upset that there are things wrong with this stone. Even though the toxicity wasn't mentioned in the description, I still figured it was going to be a fixer-upper.

It has a few lines that take a mirror polish in contrast with the rest of the stone faces. The bigger lines also stayed a little raised above the surrounding stone when I lapped it with sic powder, so they are definitely hard lines. The lines on top are puny compared to the almost 2mm monster on the bottom. I get lots of nasty scratches in my finish when I sharpen over them, but the other half of the stone is absolutely lovely and gives a beautiful finish with great feedback.

Regardless, something needs to be done about those lines. With lines that go through the stone, how far down do you guys periodically drill them out without being concerned about the structural integrity of the stone? Do you fill in the gaps with anything?

IMG_0465.jpg IMG_0467.jpg IMG_0469.jpg IMG_0468.jpg

Carl Kotte likes this.
  2. Jul 9, 2019 #2

childermass

childermass

childermass

Supporting Member

I think digging a few millimeters would not be a problem. I personally wouldn’t go deeper than 5mm, you will still have plenty of time until you have to do it again.
    Don’t fill the lines with anything, just use the stone as it is.

3. Jul 9, 2019 #3
    I absolutely agree with the above. I would only add that the stone has a potential to fall apart along those lines. I would lacquer it from outside to seal it.

4. Jul 9, 2019 #4

childermass

childermass

childermass

Supporting Member

Yes Matus I totally agree that sealing is mandatory for a stone like this, but I think it’s the stone from the washi paper thread anyway so that should already be taken care of.

Matus likes this.
  5. Jul 9, 2019 #5

musicman980

musicman980

musicman980

It is that stone, but I didn’t end up using the Washi paper, just 4 coats of spar urethane (varnish). Is that enough you think?

I’ll do an update when they’re drilled out, thanks guys.

6. Jul 9, 2019 #6

childermass

childermass

childermass

Supporting Member

I think that will be sufficient. Using the paper would have been the safest route but I‘m sure it will be fine like this too. These lines should be too dense to suck in any water anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted